Start by marking “Elevating Overman” as Want to Read:
Elevating Overman

Elevating Overman

ELEVATING OVERMAN is a funny and painful story of redemption that explores the complex ramifications of what it means to get a second chance. The novel follows the journey of Ira Overman, veteran of multiple botched careers and a singularly botched marriage, as he makes one last attempt to rise above the guilt, weakness, and self-hatred that have been hard-wired into his s ...more
Published May 21st 2012 by Fulcourt Press (first published May 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Elevating Overman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elevating Overman

Natasha Ferguson
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was funny if you like dry sarcastic humor. Ira Overman is an ordinary 55 yr. old divorced Jewish car salesman whose life starts to become exciting after having Lasik surgery. As a presumed super-hero, he sets out to right a past wrong, rekindle relationships with estranged family members, and brings his best friend's family back together. Really liked it.
Bruce Ferber
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's funny. Really. I wouldn't lie to you.
Lenna
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
*** Thanks to the author for providing the book to be reviewed

Thanks to the unexpected effects from an ordinary surgery, Ira Overman gets a second chance at life, discovering "powers" within himself that he never knew he had. It has a well executed plot, is well written, and personally, I found the novel to be pretty funny, although some scenes were more crude than what I am used to. If you enjoy a more dry, sarcastic sense of humor (like I do), then this is a book for you to read. The language
Robin Lamont
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Armed with a coupon from the Pennysaver, Ira Overman - despite his astigmatism and family history of glaucoma - haggles with a surgeon over the cost per eye for Lasik surgery. You can't make this stuff up. Oh, wait a minute! Yes, you can. In fact Bruce Ferber has in his absolutely delightful novel Elevating Overman. And he's done better, drawing a story of a man who starts out believing he's a "miserable soul" and that life doesn't hold anything better for him, only to find that he has the power ...more
Maggie
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a little while for me to really get into this book, but then I did, and I enjoyed it. It was a freebie for awhile, which is when I got it, and I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much at full price, but definitely worth it on sale.

At first I didn't love the characters, I think, was the problem, but then I met a few that I really did like a lot, and Overman himself grew on me, and I enjoyed watching his life transform (and because I've run across way too many freebies that turn out
Stuart
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I loved this book. I picked it up because I knew Bruce as a showrunner on "Sabrina The Teenage Witch". Elevating Overman is a terrific read. This book follows the tradition of great humorists like SJ Perlman and Chris Moore who are so rare to find.
A wonderful premise about the loser schlub who starts having good things happen to him. The book manages to be crazy, dark and satirical and carry a positive life affirming message to boot. Whats not to like?
Onionboy
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. Keeps your interest and not predictable. At some points in the story it struck me about what an odd story it is, one that I would not want to try to explain to someone who asks what I am reading. But overall very good, very enjoyable. I would recommend that you read it if the summary sounds interesting to you. I don't give 5 stars to very many books, but this one deserves it.
Valentine
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not the type of book I usually read, but enjoyed it. Amazing for a first time novel. Ferber's vocabulary is impressive and his dialogue is realistic. Would make for a hilarious movie starring Albert Brooks.
kenneth  h.  robinson
A Heartening Tale of People

Humorous tale of people's effects on each other from childhood to late middle-age - including personalities, motivations, marriages, parent-child relationships. Beneath the humorous surface is a deeper meaningful message as well.
Donna Cavanagh
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book evokes so many emotions which is surprising to me as I know Bruce Ferber for his comedy writing. I loved this novel. I would recommend it to everyone. I sympathized with the main character;yet, I could see his many flaws. Just a really good read.
Mary
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was ridiculous, but in a reasonable sort of way. By the time I realized how weird things had gotten it was too late; I was already entertained.
brenda glasspool
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun

I enjoyed this read very much. Made me cry and laugh, think and reflect on my own life my own super powers we all have in one form or another
David M.
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is funny and has many true-to-life lessons. The main character gets a second chance at life, aided by unexpected "super-powers" that he acquires as a side effect of Lasik eye surgery. But it's what he does with his new-found skills that makes the book particularly meaningful: he rights wrongs, restores relationships, and rises above his previously mundane life. A fun and worthwhile read.
Dan
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Ira Overman is a born loser; life is just humdrum; his best friend beats him at tennis; he’s has little or no relationship with is kids and life just sucks. He decides to get Lasik surgery and after negotiating a price with the doctor, he finds that he may have superpowers. And the world changes as he tries to make life right.

Starts out slow, and Overman is not really a likeable character. His friend and soon to be sidekick Jake Rosenfarb is certainly not likeable. It is an interesting concept
Dana Sahm
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it

I really can't decide if I loved it or hated it....
Judy L McGinnis
Jan 07, 2015
Liz
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bruce Ferber is an Emmy and Golden Globe-nominated comedy writer and producer whose credits include Bosom Buddies, Growing Pains, Sabrina, The Teenage Witch, Coach, and Home Improvement, where he served as Executive Producer and showrunner. In addition to being recognized by the Television Academy, his work has received the People’s Choice, Kid’s Choice and Environmental Media Awards. Ferber lives ...more