Start by marking “Nine Lives” as Want to Read:
Nine Lives

Nine Lives

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The killer's modus operandi is the same in each instance—strangulation, always with a guitar string, pulled tight from behind until life is taken. And though the murders are taking place up and down country, there is one other similarity that Inspector Wilkins can't help noticing. Each and every victim is a psychotherapist.
Published May 1st 2003 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Nine Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nine Lives

Kin
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bei personaggi. Bella vicenda. Belle le implicazioni psicologiche. In tutto questo è riuscita ad inserire lampi di humour. Giù il cappello.
Rita
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
2002. Not what you'd call a 'literary' book, but it's fairly well done.
The portrait of the two wives who visit their murderer husbands in prison every week sounds plausible.

"I wasn't convinced of his innocence, but at the same time, I couldn't believe that he was guilty. In view of our years together, the happiness we'd shared, it was much easier to presume his innocence....

"Neither of us [the two women visiting their husbands in prison] dared to believe what was real, so we fashioned another ki
Spiegel
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: women-writers
Copied from my Bookcrossing entry from 2008.

That was an engrossing read! I couldn't put it down for two days. Same author as Madame Souzatska? I didn't even know that was a book; I confess that I might've liked the movie better if Shirley MacLaine murdered a few people between lessons. Although pianos aren't very practical weapons.

(view spoiler)
Bianca
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Donald Dorricks has killed 9 psychotherapists and 1 dentist - but he insists he is innocent. This is the story of how he killed his victims, the police's pursuit of an invisible killer, his wife's reality now that he is in prison and finally why he did it.

I liked the mystery of this book - you have no idea how a man can admit guilt to killing 10 people and profess his innocence in the same breath. I did not like any of the characters in this book - a pushover wife who is too scared of her husban
Nannee
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The writing was amazing, and I couldn't help associating it in a kind of way to Memento. the back and forths of the story and so on. But I was rather disappointed by the containt itself, i was expecting something more and it was too plain in my eye, maybe that's just my case as a lover of thriller and detective stories, Psychologichal side of it was good too but rather shallow. Anyway I enjoyed it and as it was the first book I read of her I would like to deepen more in the works.
Harvey
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
- I thought that this story of a man who kills 9 Psychotherapists was only mediocre. The writing style was light and, while you know right away who did the crimes, the real mystery to be solved is 'why?'. It turns out that the reason is not entirely improbable, but it is also not startling or compelling.
Laurel
Apr 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
This book is a mystery for this literary set. Its the kind of thing you would see on the short list for a Booker Award. It is very readable, has some refreshing ideas, and was a unique read for me. I very much enjoyed it.
Sonja Randall
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked the writing style and story line.
It is a different and fresh way of telling a shocking story. A journal of a murderer and the impact of his actions as well as lack of sharing on the people in his life.
Rebecca Gebhart
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great read! The triple narrative really kept the story moving.
Greg
Feb 22, 2015
Marian Kelly
Mar 27, 2017
Ananthan V
rated it did not like it
Sep 02, 2015
Dec 25, 2009
Northern
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Bernice Rubens was born in Cardiff, Wales in July 1928. She began writing at the age of 35, when her children started nursery school. Her second novel, Madame Sousatzka (1962), was filmed by John Schlesinger filmed with Shirley MacLaine in the leading role in 1988. Her fourth novel, The Elected Member, won the 1970 Booker prize. She was shortlisted for the same prize again in 1978 for A Five Year ...more