Start by marking “An Outrageous Affair” as Want to Read:
An Outrageous Affair

An Outrageous Affair

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,125 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
A mysterious, tragic accident in the 1950s; an inexplicable suicide twenty years later. What was the strange link between the two - and Caroline Hunterton's long-buried past? A secret which could not be kept for ever, especially from her two daughters, Chloe and Fleur. Fate had separated the sisters in time and distance - but bound them in mutual hatred - until journalist ...more
Paperback
Published September 11th 2006 by Headline Review (first published 1993)

Psirene
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this book tedious to read. I have enjoyed Vincenzi's trilogy and other novels but this book was trashier and led to disapointment. The scandal referred to in the title is hinted at through out the novel but only emergeds in detail at the end. The novel is the story of Caroline and her daughters Chloe and Fleur and the men that they love. The only likeable characters are three men that play supporting roles in the dramatic lives of the women characters, Jack, Caroline's groom, Ruebin, Fle ...more
Merty
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally finished this book that seemed like it was taking forever
t o get to the end. But the ending was very rewarding.
It certainly was a soap opera but Penny V. kept it all in stride and
interesting each time I picked up the book.
One certainly has to be in the mood for this type of book, as it
is very wordy but the characters kept it all interesting in that I wanted to find out where this was all taking me to the end.
I will definately read another P.V. book!
Jody
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing makes me more crazy than when an author takes 624 pages in tiny typeface to say what could have been written in 200 pages or less. By page 300, I was completely bored, yet too far into the book to give up. Vincenzi does have the gift of dangling a tantalizing conflict to make you keep reading, but by page 500, I didn't really care anymore. I just wanted it to be over. My advice? Don't bother. The end did not justify the long meandering means of this book.
Melissa Kayden
I generally love Vincenzi's books, but this one was not one of my favorites. It seemed to me that she was trying to make the story more involved than it needed to be to be good. I didn't really find any of the characters likable - not even the protaganists. I was pretty disappointed by this one, but will continue reading her books since I have loved the others.
Apr 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is supposed to be a page-turning family saga but by about page 100 I didn't care about any of the characters or where the story was going. So I have abandoned it. There doesn't seem to be a Goodreads category for that.
Mandy
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish the author would write shorter books. In my view this book could have been 400 pages rather than 700. The story was stretched so much I started to lose focus. Luckily the last 50 pages picked up pace to a great ending.
Lorna Gilder
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lengthy family saga through the decades involving Hollywood film stars!
Begins in war time Suffolk with Caroline who has a relationship with an American soldier.
Another enjoyable read by this author although quite padded out!
Marjan
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Een oudje , al eerder gelezen maar wederom
van genoten !
Miss F P Bishop
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was long book a real saga but I enjoyed it. I'll definitely read more of her books.
I must admit I thought the male characters were more interesting than the female ones
Brittany Gardner
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For more review, please visit http://fortheloveoftheread.blogspot.com

As a fan of Vincenzi, I pick up her novels knowing that I'm going to read an investing, intriguing family saga that is well-written. This one did not disappoint.

The book kicks off when Caroline is a teenager and eventually molds through her adulthood and her children growing up. Caroline's love affair with Brendan, an American military man, profoundly affects the future of her entire family. There are also ties to Hollywood in
Brenda
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF. I have spent over a month trying to get through this (read a couple of other books in between). I've read only this lately and still am not halfway through. Another reviewer used the best adjective - "tedious." The outline of this story probably sounded great but it takes so long to move the plot forward. I loved Penny Vincenzi's trilogy "Spoils of Time" and I will try other novels by her in the future.
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As all of her books do, this story drew me right in. It is a family drama that starts during WWII and spans over a couple of generations. I was not particularly fond of any one character, each had their own redeeming points by the end of the book. It was interesting to see the effects if certain decisions people made effecting their children even years later. I would highly recommend this book, but do not expect it to be a quick read. Worth the time though.
Elizabeth
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mesmerizing from start till finish. More than 800 pages of extremely well written stories of people whose lives intertwine, divide and come back together again. Some parts are unputdownable, exactly how I like my books. Impossible to tell more about the book, one must read it oneself. The red line through the book is about a biography which threatens to be published and which contains lots of secrets. Secrets that stay secret until the very end. A must read !
Maxine
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one. The characters were interesting, even if the plot was not quite as outrageous as it purported to be. Intriguing in the concept that long-ago actions can affect so many lives even years later. I enjoyed this book much more than than the last book I read by this author, but it still couldn't compare with my two favorites by Penny Vincenzi; "No Angel" and "Something Dangerous"
Kateddo1
A bit long winded in parts, but I enjoyed reading. I didn't like how personalities seemed too 'set' though, like a lot of the main characters had one main thing that was described over and over - Brendan was naive, Caroline was upper class, Fleur was ambitious, Chloe was loyal. There was just something about it that didn't seem realistic. However, as a change and a 'light' read it was fine.
Jo
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very 80s blockbuster! I took a long time to read this book, because it didn't engage me. The characters were rather two dimensional and the plot was all too predictable. I read a couple of Penny Vincenzi's earlier novels back in the 80s and enjoyed them. I think my taste in novels has changed drastically since then, but it was nice to tap into a bit of nostalgia!
Regina
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without giving away too many details, I'll simply say I loved this book. It has everything: romance (ill-fated of course), historical context, English Theatre as well as Hollywood ties, an illegitimate daughter... Very high drama, in depth characters, a mysterious death; just marvelous! Can't wait to sink my teeth into more by this author!
Mary
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This saga follows Caroline Hunterton from 1942 through the next thirty years. As her daughters, Fluer, and Chloe, age, they too become major characters with secrets they will discover. I love Vincenzi's novels, but this was not her best.
Alli Poirot
i actually stopped reading this book a few chapters from the end. i got taken up by other things (books and otherwise) and was kind of bored with the characters and their endless drama by then. sorry penny! maybe i've reached my vincenzi limit.
Deb
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anachronisms galore, no understanding of american culture or language - I wonder why this woman bothers to write about the US. She has a character appearing in "A Streetcar Named Desire" eight years before it was written.
Emma
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it by the pool on holiday - enjoyed it a lot, even though I didn't really like many of the characters. Pure chick book for by the pool, but a bit meatier. Nice twists in it. Not totally predictable like a lot of romantic fiction.
Kjersti
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story was slooow to start. I hadn't read any of the author's other books but picked this one based on the jacket summary. This was supposed to be a page-turner but I found it a little bit of a chore to get through.
Jan
Dec 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a mindless read. An English woman has a baby with an American flyer in WWII and then sends the baby to live with him. Long and rambling. He becomes a a two bit actor. She has other children and one daughter marries a big homosexual actor that is knighted.........OK
I read novels
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although Penny Vincenzi writes very long novels, I always manage to read them untill the end. It may take me a long time to read one of her books but I really love her stories. I have read many of her books.
Heather
I remember loving this when I first read it but this time, well... it was okay. Caroline made me crazy half the time. So did all the female characters, actually. Joe and Reuben were great guys - maybe she's better at writing men than women?
Kate
Jun 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book by Vincenzi. I have read several of her other novels. The characters were great and very well developed. The plot was super detailed spanning three decades but at times the story seemed to drag a bit. It started at the end of world war 2 in England with an ill fated affair.
Meredith Morgan
I have read a few of Penny's books and this was a vast interrelated saga with a large cast of characters, it wasn't as enjoyable as other books. I was still engrossed, but this isn't one that I will read again,
Diana Aylott
I have enjoyed Penny Vincenzi's books in the past but this was a disappointment - why on earth did she make it three times as long as it should have been? I am almost half way through and am too bored to continue.
Karen
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one great author. Her books always deal with a rich London based family and all their ins & outs. This book was a bit "trashier" than her others and a big dis-jointed at times but still a good read.
Joanne
Good story line, great twist and ending, lot's of detail. I liked it's thoroughness in tying up the ends. But I didn't like how all the characters were SOOO gorgous and perfect and everyone had the most AMAZING sex all the time.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 21, 2015 11:11AM
  • Ellie (Ellie, #1)
  • The Potter's House
  • Destinations: A compelling collection of engaging short stories following the lives of women across Dublin
  • The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous (Rutshire Chronicles, #4)
  • Two Women
  • The Wish List
  • Divided Loyalties
  • Lovers and Liars
  • The Hornbeam Tree
  • A Friend of the Family
  • An Angel For May
Her family, Headline and her agent Clare Alexander are sad to announce the death of their beloved Penny Vincenzi who died peacefully on February 25th.

At the launch of her 19th book, A Question of Trust, last year, Penny said: “If nobody buys it, it will be my last book; otherwise, no, I don’t want it to be my last book … I still love writing and the whole process.” And at the time of her death Pen
More about Penny Vincenzi

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld #12)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Lady Bridget's Diary (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #1)
  • What to Say Next
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Map of the Heart
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Riveted (Saints of Denver, #3)
  • The Memory Book
  • Holding Up the Universe
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Forever with You (Wait for You, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Tear Us Apart (Never, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Forbidden (Old West #1)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Locked in Temptation (The Protectors #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9)
  • If There's No Tomorrow
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
  • Words in Deep Blue
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Runaway Vampire (Argeneau, #23)
  • Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Any Dream Will Do
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It's In His Heart (Red River Valley, #1)
  • Wicked Angel
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Autumn in the Vineyard (St. Helena Vineyard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From the Moment We Met (St. Helena Vineyard, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beard Made Me Do It (The Dixie Warden Rejects MC #5)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)
  • Dead Wrong (Dead #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“From the very beginning it seemed very clear to her that if you were going to succeed in life you succeeded on your own terms, in your own style, you capitalized on your own strengths, you learnt to camouflage your own weaknesses and you didn’t get caught up in anyone else’s. And Fleur was going to succeed.” 0 likes