Start by marking “Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland

(Y: The Last Man #9)

WINNER OF THREE EISNER AWARDS Featured in THE NEW YORK TIMES and on NPR, Y: THE LAST MAN is the gripping saga of Yorick Brown, an unemployed and unmotivated slacker who discovers he is the only male left in the world after a plague of unknown origin instantly kills every mammal with a Y chromosome. Accompanied by his mischievous monkey, Ampersand, and the mysterious Agent ...more
Published May 9th 2007 by Vertigo (first published May 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Y

Start your review of Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)
Bradley
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Any story needs to be held up to the yardstick of its wrap-up, and this is no slouch.

I'm not used to seeing comics throw all their focus and love on a single idea after so much time has been spent on what appears to be, you know, THE LAST MAN.

But here's a little secret. It's not really about him at all. It never was. And even after so much panel time, he's really nothing more than a red herring.

Do I need to spell it out?

Well, yeah! It's about women. Hello!! And this volume is doing a very fine
Lindsay
Dec 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who's read the previous 8 volumes
This is a tricky one to review, because while there's a lot I loved about it --- it's very satisfying in a narrative sense, with a lot of long-running threads resolved and tied together, and it gives us much more of Dr. Allison Mann's backstory --- I absolutely hated the answer to the question of what caused the XY-killing plague.

Without going into spoileriffic detail, I'll just say I thought it was an obnoxious injection of magic into what had been a non-magical, realistic world. I have a
Darth
Dec 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
After reading nine volumes of this story, I've come to the conclusion that all the female characters are actually written very similarly.

I think what annoys me most about these comics is that I know Vaughan is a good writer. I know he's clever and innovative. I don't understand why he chose this path for his story. He could have done so many things, but I think that in and of itself may have been overwhelming.

I don't understand why all the splash pages are extremely sexist either. Like almost
Brandon
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
So without giving anything away here, we're given the long awaited answer to the plague. Well, it looks that way at this point. Anything can happen with this series (I don't mean that in a bad way). When I was finally shown the reason, it really didn't matter.

Let me clarify. Obviously the reason behind the "gendercide" needs to be given to the audience. It's just that Vaughan has created these characters that are sticking with me. Some people may have problems with the big reveal and I can
Monsour
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The Y chromosome has been rationally self-destructing for hundreds of millions of years. It used to contain thousands of working genes, but was whittled down to just a few dozen even before the plague.

Men have long been a necessary evil for continuation of this species, but the moment that evil became OBSOLETE, nature righted its course. I was merely the trigger that set off a time bomb that's been ticking for millennia.

We finally had the reviling of what cause the genderside. the 2nd last
Lobeck
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
In this volume we learn of a theory to explain why almost all people with the Y chromosome died. This story adds lots of historical details that we were never told before and allows the author create an explanation that had not previously been hinted at. This felt suspiciously like an explanation the authors had decided upon last-minute after hooking people with a neat premise without knowing where the story was headed. Regardless of motivation, this style of adding copious amounts of back-story ...more
Nashid
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely crazy theory behind the 'event', more answers, more flashbacks, more journeys for the characters, the same dumb, insufferable asshole.......
Andrew
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was ready to rate this volume lower, but I just can't. I only have one more to read, and I have to say this is the most enjoyable and imaginative of the entire series so far. I love the two side stories that the editors decided to put at the end of the book; breaking the order from that in which the original issues were published caused no harm whatsoever, and ending the volume on such a fun, almost meta-note was delightful. Further, they fleshed out this world even more.

SPOILERS BELOW***MAJOR
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Easily the best graphic novel I've ever read, in terms of sewing up character development and delving into the fractured souls scrambling about in a less than cheerful world.

Motherland is such a fantastic book, I have a hard time believing that it comes from the same series as Cycles, Paper Dolls and Girl on Girl. So much time has been spent in setting up different story lines and developments by Brian Vaughan, that I had no idea how satisfying his conclusions would become, emotionally and
Adriana
This penultimate volume sees the mysterious Dr. M unmasked, more background for Alison, a view at Toyota’s past, the truth about Ampersand and a peek at what the other women of Y have been up to, particularly some women we only got a peek at in the very beginning. It’s jam-packed with important details and revelations without overburdening the reader or getting hard to follow.
The drama is deep in this one. There are some very dark moments, but the writing manages to weave jokes and lightness in
secondwomn
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, 2012, graphic
there were a handful of nice panels in this one. but really, whatever interesting stuff might be going on completely collapses under the weight of unnecessary heavy-handedness. it's bad enough in the actual story, but the one-off comic that appears (out of order) at the end of this volume is terribly insulting to the audience. if this issue had been earlier in the series i definitely wouldn't have kept on. if you don't trust your readers, why are you bothering? writers, it is not clever to ...more
Tays
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Well this volume's a delicate one. There are a bunch of stories that I loved, and likewise, there are a bunch of stories that doesn't really make sense. The reveal of who Toyota was working for? That was brilliant and unpredictable. The Alter bits of the story, yea, those bits bore me. Nevertheless, Vaughan still managed to entertain me hence the 3-stars. Brilliant storytelling. Also, the artwork is a bit more like The Runaways on this one, which is quite a peach for the eyes.
Anja
You've got to be kidding me, right? This is the big explanation? Really? REALLY?
Well, since there is one more volume, I hope for some more exciting stuff. There has to be some kind of clever revelation. Because what I got here was just plain stupid.
On the other hand I liked the Toyota parts, and the ending was as nuts as it was funny :)
As always: Great artwork.
Hannah Garden
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I finished these up in a few measly days, which is the drag about AWESOME STUFF, unfortunately, that you rip through it like such a piece of hell. Super stoked to read #10, though. I think Britney Spears should play the fucked up Canadian ex-pop star, right? Right? Genius. Angela, I can NOT believe you read these damn things in serial. I would have chewed my own face off.
Jordan
Sep 14, 2016 added it
Excellent addition to the series. The stakes feel higher and the pay off is definitely there. This isn't the end of the series, but you can definitely feel it start to come to a close.
Morgane
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Wait seriously that's what caused the plague?

Really?

Really?
Shannon Appelcline
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
Motherland (#49-52). We're clearly near the end because this is the first really conclusive Y story. Lots of the science is explained, especially all the cloning that we've been getting since volume one, and we may even have an answer for the plague. Along the way, several of our characters are in real danger, and it's not clear who will make it out. Put together strong tension and interesting answers to long-standing questions, and you have one of Y's best stories [8/10].

The Obituarist (#53).
Patrick
Almost finished with the series. Thank the Maker!
Jenny Clark
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
Still staying pretty strong. So, the plague was started by Mann's father, or so we are supposed to believe... Looking forward to seeing how this whole thing will end...
Kate
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again when things seem stable, things proceed to be anything but. There's a secret on Rose's end, Allison is suddenly sick, and Allison's who research and family problems come to staggering light.
Sebastian Song
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's seldom that you have a vivid sense that the end is near but you just want to hug the characters close.
Marissa
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Never rated this - maybe I never read it?

Anyway, here's a book that's clearly hurtled towards the end, that makes mild mention of FTM transfolk, drops a bunch of racial slurs and homophobia because that's still how insults work in the post-gendercide, I guess, and remains vaguely disappointing.

Oh, and we've got a Toyota update - she's an orphan, the name she gave Dr. M was almost certainly a pseudonym (or, at best, a nickname), so this whole "just like Harrison Ford" bullshit continues to be
Patrick Mede
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This has always been a comic that moves at the beat of its own drum. Page for page, joke for joke, blood for blood. So why wouldn't it end the suspense 10 episodes short of the finish line. The science just being another metaphor. That's something I so totally admire about the series. It's not about Brian K. Vaughan thinking he's so clever...that what he thought up as the grand reveal is so pompous...that he'd be so self-congratulating and ready to take his victory lap when it happens.

A lesser
Ashley
This counts towards my 2017 Book Bingo challenge for the square A Graphic Novel/Comic.

I'm almost done with this series!! I can't believe it. I'm excited to see how it all ends. This wasn't my favorite volume for me, it was alright. I'm still finding myself really confused as to why the plague happened in the first place. I feel like they explained it at one point, but I must have forgotten. And then they added another possible explanation in this volume.
I'm excited to read the last volume
Licha
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
Another volume that brought out the tears as the group is ready to part ways. I have grown to care for this group and have been on this journey right along with them, so in a way, I felt like I had to take sides and decide which group I wanted to leave with.

Not really spoilers ahead but warning that if you're not yet at this volume it may reveal plot elements you may not be ready for:

--We get the background story on Dr. Ming and Dr. Mann's father affair.

--Dr. Mann gets sick as a consequence of
Baal Of
Feb 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Second to the last volume, and this series takes a dive into the rubbish heap. What a pile of fucking nonsense. The author uses the "hundredth monkey" myth as the basis of the death of the men, and then justifies it using the idea of morphogenetic field, but conflates that concept with Rupert Sheldrake's asinine morphic field, without seeming to realize he's mixing the ideas up. He reports the popular version of the hundredth monkey myth without realizing that it never happened that way, that ...more
Maria Kramer
Very dramatic showdowns in this volume! I find the explanation given for the gendercide unsatisfying, but then, the person who gives it isn't super stable, so there's no reason to believe it's the truth.
Samantha
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
the explanation for the plague was weak. (the next volume gives an alternate that makes more sense). if they can already clone, what do they need to bring men back for? I mean, nothing against men per se, but I wouldn't want to see the patriarchy come back, and a few men who are exalted just for being men sounds like a recipe for that.
Caroline
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Caroline by: Andy
The best volume in the series so far (there's only one left after this)! There's finally a lot of answers to questions that have been running through my head the entire series, and the scenes are full of so much excellent tension that it reads quickly. The last little bit was more of a side-story and wasn't as interesting, but it was still good.

Looking forward to the end!

• Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves
  • Fables, Vol. 9: Sons of Empire
  • Fables, Vol. 10: The Good Prince
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts
  • Crown of Shadows (Locke & Key, #3)
  • The Number 73304-23-4153-6-96-8
  • DMZ, Vol. 3: Public Works
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 3: Animal Armies
  • Fables, Vol. 2: Animal Farm
  • Chew, Vol. 4: Flambé
  • DMZ, Vol. 7: War Powers
  • Café Budapest
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6: Gouge Away
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Y: The Last Man (10 books)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)
“You're right that not everything we do has to have some kind of social agenda, but that doesn't mean it can only be anesthetizing crap.” 2 likes