Start by marking “Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)” as Want to Read:
Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)

Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl

(Y: The Last Man #6)

More than two years after the unexplained plague killed every other male mammal on the planet, the two exceptions - aspiring escape artist Yorick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand - have traveled across the remains of the U.S. with biochemist Dr. Allison Mann and goverment operative Agent 355 to Dr. Mann's lab in San Francisco, where she managed to finally isolate the sou ...more
Published November 2005 by Vertigo (first published August 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Y, please sign up.
kuzronk Published by their more mature publishing brand Vertigo.

Matthew
Pirates! Submarines! Australian Aboriginal magic!

The mostly land-based adventures of the last man on earth takes to the high seas. Deception, corruption, and sea-sickness all highlight this next volume of Yorick’s story.

In general I have enjoyed this series and this time was no exception. The story continues to be unique and interesting. This volume was action packed and had a lot of information to advance the story. Also, some of the theories about what would happen in a post-apocalyptic world
||Swaroop||
Volume 6: Girl on Girl - not so good as the earlier volumes but the story still going strong!

This volume features an interesting boat ride and a fascinating captain :)

Y: The Last Man is about the only man ("The Last Man") to survive a mysterious plague that wiped out every other male of all the species on the planet ("every mammal with a Y chromosome).
Bradley
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Magical boat ride. :)

This volume isn't so much edifying as it was adventuresome. Stowing away, getting involved in boat intrigue, drug smuggling, Australian navy, blood, death, and destruction. But what really is interesting about this one is the characters. There's something really fascinating about that captain. What an odd duck. :)

And the last bit? The one about Beth still in Australia? What is she ON? Crazy! :) :)
John Wiswell
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Comics readers, fans of pirates
From the title to the swordplay to the sophomoric dialogue, this volume plunges Y: The Last Man into cloyingly amateurish territory. Characterization suffers at the behest of sexual antics and cartoonish plots (pirates? Really?). This is the first volume where I found myself skimming the dialogue and panels to just get through scenes. This doesn’t match up with any of the tones from previous volumes, and it makes every unbelievable aspect of the story much more annoying (from a woman getting her ...more
Brandon
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
So, a lot happens in this volume. Unfortunately, it's the first collection that probably deserved a little less than 4 stars. If not for the incredible ending, I would probably give it a 3-3.5.

Vaughan explores a little of what Yorick's girlfriend is up to in Australia and how she's coping with the plague. We're treated to an excellent dream sequence where Beth (view spoiler).

The only thing I didn't like was the ridiculous subplot with pirate
Dan
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Pirates!?, Outback, Monkeys! Oh My.
P. Kirby
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
The quest for Ampersand, Yorick's kidnapped pet monkey, continues....

Previously, in Y:The Last Man, we learned that the key to the male-pocalypse wasn't Yorick, the last man, but his little pet Ampersand. It turns out that Ampersand's stereotypical habit of flinging his own poo was of some benefit to Yorick because in that excrement was an antidote to whatever killed off all other males on the planet.

So, monkey shit, good. Japanese scientist who kidnapped Ampersand, bad.

This installment finds 35
Vishakha Motwani
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Okay.. too many stories, now that they know why Yorick is the last one alive, it's sorta hard to really believe that they are heading to Japan just for &. But adventures are interesting nonetheless.
Tyler Hill
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Technically, this volume wasn't probably any worse than the previous volumes in this series, but for whatever reason, I just wasn't as into it as I have been. I think that one of the things that's sort of been bothering me about this series is perfectly explained by one of the characters in this volume:

"It figures. An entire planet of women, and the one guy gets to be the lead."

In that way, this title isn't really any different from, say, Dances with Wolves or the Last Samurai, where instead of
Patrick
Meh... not much happened.
Telaina
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
A frequent complaint about this series is that even though there is only one guy left, he is still the center of everything. It is to some extent, every man's fantasy--you're all that's left and all the women are throwing themselves at you because they are horny and/or want to get pregnant. That being said, as a reader and as a woman, I find this series absolutely fascinating, well-done, with excellent and witty dialogue, awesome literary references and really interesting questions explored. Eve ...more
Samantha
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
this thing is getting soap operatic. now that yorick had sex once, he keeps on hooking up with people. every woman who learns he was engaged (which he wasn't) rather than just having a girlfriend is all like, oh, I never would have hooked up with you, last man on earth, if I had known you were *engaged* instead of just in a relationship. also, agent 355 once said she loved yorick and has tried to walk that back ever since. now she hooks up with the doctor, and yorick walks in on it and gets all ...more
Licha
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, series
This volume got back in the game for me. Yorick, 355, and Dr. Mann have managed to board a ship headed out to Japan so they can search for Ampersand.

Unfortunately, it looks like some horny, teenage boy got a hold of this volume sometime before I did and ripped out several sections of this book, pages I assume contained naked women. I can only infer that Yorick, for the second time in the volume, had sex, this time with the captain of the ship and Dr. Mann and 355 somehow got it on, how this cam
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Cruise ship pirates? An attacking submarine? Flashy excursions into lesbianism? Espionage that Agent 355 doesn't know about? C'mon, that's worth savoring!

True, Girl on Girl is by far the most ridiculous volume in the Y the Last Man series, but does that mean it has no value? I wouldn't jump to that conclusion, or merely write off this sea adventure as one note or immature for its sexuality. The story is simpler here, but I'm fine with taking a break from the thornier issues Vaughan has set up ov
Bhanuj
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Well, this volume was a bit mellowed down from the previous ones, but when you have invested so much in a series, a small dull moment must never bring you down.

A lot does not happen in this novel, as Yorrick and company hitchhike a ride to Japan on a ship.
Andrei Stoian
YLM

Romanian review: Acest volum nu este la fel de bun ca volumul 5, dar este destul de interesant și plin de acțiune, însă se simte puțin ca un filler. Acest volum a avut un moment care mie unul mi s-a părut ciudat (cine l-a citit probabil știe la ce mă refer), dar care nu pot spune că a stricat povestea sau că a avut un impact mare. Mi s-a părut interesant în mod special că se abordează subiectul drogurilor, odată ce majoritatea agenților DEA sunt morți, iar multe femei suferă de depresie și de fo
Erin
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had felt that the issues were on a bit of a decline for a while, but this volume really showed me though. Throughout this volume, I couldn't find myself to care much and I really started to dislike Yorick. He's always been a little trying, but this volume was the icing on the cake for me.

I didn't care for the pirate plot. I thought that was weird and it honestly felt a little out of place to me.

The ending was nice though. I do wish we got more from what Beth is going through instead of the l
Jeff
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
First of all, i can’t believe i have 5 more books to litanize. This is taking me a lot more time than it should. A real, good reviewer could bang this out in an hour. Or maybe it would just seem like it only took them an hour because their prose is so breezy and in a nice tone of non-judgmentalism. I feel like i’m just spending time beating on a dead horse. But maybe this will dissuade at least one like-minded person from spending a few days blazing through this story. I don’t think it was a was ...more
Tim
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
This volume of Y: The Last Man just seemed "too easy." It seems in this volume that Vaughn was running out of story ideas and took the simple way out by using sex between two of the main characters. This series has been a bit of a disappointment for me; while reading this volume, I found myself rolling my eyes. I had joked with a friend while discussing this that either Dr. Mann and Agent 355 were both going to fall for Yorick or that they would fall for each other.

It seems that both have happe
Nick
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Yorick's odyssey continues, but it's not clear what this stop in his journey contributes. Another beautiful woman loved and lost? This series seems not to know whether it wants to be an intellectually honest thought experiment or simply an engaging comic book tale. Or maybe it is simply the latter, and I want more of the former.

Vaughan merely flirts with topics that merit serious attention. In a world with no men, what becomes of the line between heterosexuality and homosexuality? In a world wit
Jedi JC Daquis
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The title of this volume tells much about what the story is about: Girl on Girl. Well, there's the most obvious meaning to it, and I'll just leave it to your interpretation. It can also be girl versus girl, girl faction versus another girl faction, or girls above the sea and girls under the sea.

The sixth volume has a more straightforward and easier story than the previous five. It can pass as a filler episode. You can now see Vaughan recycling elements he used in the past volumes. The last issue
Ana Yarí
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
There are plenty of reasons I dislike this series: the writing is quite sexist a lot of the time. But I'm super fascinated by a dystopian world cause by patriarchy. The world falls apart when all the men die, and there's barely any women who are trained and capable of doing certain jobs. Thank you, patriarchy! So even though I'm not crazy about the series, I'm interested enough in the idea to finish it.
Nadine
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So. Damn. Good! Can't wait for the next volume!!
Melody
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Just read this series. Love it. It's just so crazy good.
Lena
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yeah, that opium smuggeling wasn't really my thing, but apart from that great!
Let's Geek
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Read the full review also on my blog: https://lets-geek.blogspot.com/2018/1...

In Y the Last Man 06 Girl on Girl we join our heroes on their journey to Japan.

Total Rating: 8/10

Time It Took Me To Read: approx. 1 hour

Originality: 8/10
Second volume in a
Nuno Ferreira
A série de Brian K. Vaughan tem vindo a melhorar significativamente, e não posso dizer que desgostei deste sexto álbum. Os diálogos são bons, as referências cinematográficas e musicais sucedem-se, sempre a mostrar o lado mais irreverente do protagonista, e finalmente deu-se a tão aguardada cena lésbica entre duas das co-protagonistas. A arte de Pia Guerra tem vindo a melhorar e Sudzuka conseguiu manter-se fiel à ilustradora.

Ainda assim, a história continua a derivar num nada insubstancial. As mo
Shannon Appelcline
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
Girl on Girl (#32-35). We've reached the west coast, but the road trip continues right on into the Pacific! This is a good story. It gives us a look at the larger world and how it might have changed due to the loss of men and it gives us a glimpse of all-female militaries, which turn out to be just as scary as when men were around. Like the whole Y series, it's also got strong new characters and heart-breaking results. [7/10].

Boy Loses Girl (#36). I'd expected to hate a dreamtime story, but inst
Maggie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoying the focus on more than just Yorick & his team of survivors. Also loving all the mirrors all the other characters hold up to Yorick. The last man on earth is by no means given a free pass on everything.
Callum McAllister
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Don't particularly dig this cover but the story is really coming into its own now. Keep 'em coming!
  • Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights [and Days] (Fables, #7)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 4: A Foregone Tomorrow
  • Preacher, Volume 8: All Hell's a-Coming
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 3: Animal Armies
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 11: Fear the Hunters
  • Scalped, Vol. 4: The Gravel in Your Guts (Scalped, #4)
  • Powers, Vol. 8: Legends
  • Echo: Atomic Dreams (Echo, #2)
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo

Y: The Last Man (10 books)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 2: Cycles (Y: The Last Man, #2)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 3: One Small Step (Y: The Last Man, #3)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 4: Safeword (Y: The Last Man, #4)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth (Y: The Last Man, #5)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 8: Kimono Dragons (Y: The Last Man, #8)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 9: Motherland (Y: The Last Man, #9)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 10: Whys and Wherefores (Y: The Last Man, #10)