Start by marking “Mind Over Back Pain: A Radically New Approach To The Diagnosis And Treatment Of Back Pain” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mind Over Back Pain: A...

John E. Sarno

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
FACT:An estimated eighty percent of all Americans suffer from back pain.

FACT:Back pain is the number one reason for lost working days in the United States.

FICTION:Painkillers and other current medical treatment, from bedrest to surgery, are the best ways to deal with back pain.

SORT OUT THE FACTS FROM THE FICTION

Avoid pointless surgery, traction, and chronic discomfort--ev

Hardcover
Published by William Morrow & Company (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Over Back Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Over Back Pain

John
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a back pain sufferer, I think he hit the nail on the head. I was told I had bulging disks. The real underlying pain is tension based. If the diagnosis had been, you have no real structural issue and need an outlet for tension, the pain would never have doubled. This man is brilliant and I thank God for this book.
lower back pain Relief4life how rid of lower back pain Cures how to lower back pain relief back pain Relief4life Review how rid of lower back pain Cures how to exercise for back pain
Barbara
This book was recommended to me by a few people, one a coworker whose friend refers to it as a "bible" for back-pain sufferers. I'm a little on the fence on this one, and offer the following:

The book was copyrighted in 1982, and some of the author's assertions have since been proven incorrect. For example, he insists with frequency that we all know ulcers are caused by stress, & implies that physicians sweep that fact under the rug because they are uncomfortable with all things psychological
Heather
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to give this book 3.5 stars. I found his ideas and theories to be spot on. He described me exactly and found myself and Anthony in its pages. I am a naturally intense person and tension and anxiety are my constant companions. I can pick out exactly what was happening in my life at certain times when my back would "go out". I could never understand how my stress levels would trigger my back but they did. As I look back on my last year and the emotional strains on both Anthony and ...more
Danielle
Eh. I was told to check out Dr. Sarno's books because I've had back surgery at a young age (18) and haven't had full recovery since. I think some of his ideas are spot on. Pain and tension do manifest themselves in your body/physical world. The major shortcoming of this book is he doesn't explain how to treat TMS, or any exercises he has felt personally useful for dealing with his TMS.
AJ
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This really makes a lot of sense when you think about it. I'm intrigued and ready to learn more!
Kenny Parris
The ideology that he proposes of tension being the primary cause of neck/shoulder/back pain is a logical and necessary stance against the traditional medical diagnoses. TMS represents the subconscious tension from our personal lives that has manifested itself into a localized chronic body pain. It's even further perpetuated by personality traits, leading to the distinction of "psychophysiologic" pain.

I think we probably all know that the more we burden ourselves with heavy thoughts, the more pr
Parcoast
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing for one simple reason: It provides a logical conclusion as to the cause of pain that millions of people feel every day, and it does so while contradicting the popular diagnosis millions of people are given by medical professionals.

I read this book because I started having back pain about a year ago, and it has gotten to the point where I am not able to do the activities that I love to do. This book offers an alternate viewpoint that could mean a way out. I am now working on
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book about how our emotions and our mind relate to our physiological experience of pain, in particular, back pain in the form of TMS (Tension Myositis Syndrome). Sarno's work is similar to Gabor Mate's work, except that, since Sarno is not a psychologist, some of his evaluations of his patients are not as thoroughly analyzed as in Mate's work. Regardless, this is a very accessible book and a definite must-read for anyone with chronic pain - back pain, fibromyalgia, migraines ...more
Julianne
daisy, my editor, has been telling me to read this guy's stuff for over half a year. after suffering a severe muscle spasm in my neck and shoulder that muscle relaxants and OTC painkillers stopped responding to, i was put on really heavy narcotics for the pain and my clenched muscles. reading this book put it all into perspective for me. i need to read more of his stuff.... but i felt like this guy was writing this book TO me. his main thesis: my physical pain was a manifestation of mental tensi ...more
Kris
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No, he's not saying it's all "just in your head". He's saying the causes of some, maybe most, back pain is more psychological than physical, as had been previously believed by science. It's an intriguing explanation, backed up by his years of clinical practice.

I do wish he'd go more in the treatment of this disorder in the book. He mentions a whole program he uses but apparently you have to go to a workshop to get it.
Elizabeth
I don't agree with everything Sarno says in this book, but I think the central premise is sound. Psychological tension results in physical tension which results in pain in the back, neck, and shoulders. I also agreed with his assessment of Western medicine, which tends to pathologize everything and cause even more fear, anxiety, and tension in worried patients.
Chris
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steve
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of Dr. Sarno's books back in the day. After being profoundly disappointed with "traditional" approaches to pain, I've decided to read through his works again, starting at the beginning. His theories are revolutionary, scientific and common sensical. Do yourself a favor & read him if you suffer from back or other types of chronic pain and make up your own mind.
Suzie Fullmer
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Extremely helpful in trying to take a different look at how the body works and what it's telling you when in pain. My only disappointment was that he didn't offer much information on his treatments. I believe his following book is more detailed. I'll definitely be reading that next.
Kimberly
This book is probably accurate. I wish I could feel happy about finding the root of my back pain, but I was disappointed to realize that it's not a do-it-yourself book, except in that you can get yourself to professional mental therapy to start your healing.
Kathy
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by my brother.
I found it to be somewhat dated, but the basic premise resonated with me: stress and tension can produce back pain the same way they can produce an ulcer or a migraine headache.
Chantelle
Interesting theory - makes a lot of sense to/for me: I've long held the belief that the majority of my back pain is due to tension and stress. However, some of his opinions are a little out there, and from what I've found, there isn't a lot of support for his theory.
Kate Mundie
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must read for yoga teachers
Kathleen
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My chiropractor suggested this book. I asked "If you think my pain is in my head why do I come here every month???" I will read it and hopefully be cured and save a LOT of money!
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing.
Nancy
Dec 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not find this helpful in addressing the cause of back pain. It simply discussed the emotional contribution to the back pain, but not really how to deal with that emotional component.
Sherri Obermark
Dr. Sarno has it right about muscle tension and back pain. This is a good background to the concept of TMS.
Dee