Start by marking “Private Parts” as Want to Read:
Private Parts

Private Parts

The #1 bestseller and fastest selling autobiography of all time, "Private Parts, " will be released on March 14 as a major motion picture from Paramount Pictures and Rysher Entertainment. This is the event Stern's millions of fans have been waiting for. Yes, The King of All Media is back, letting it all hang out in his outrageous new movie. And here is the book that tracks ...more
Published 1993 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Private Parts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Private Parts

Start your review of Private Parts
Evan
I'm a Stern fan to the point that I have archives on disc of most of the radio shows going back through most of the 90s and some before that. Yet, I had never taken the time to read Howard's book. Most of the stories in this book will be familiar to longtime fans. I have to say I enjoyed Robin's autobiography a lot more than this; it is much better written and far more thoughtful and insightful. Nonetheless, there were many times I found myself laughing out loud at Howard's tome, especially when ...more
Neil
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been an incorrigible Stern fan since my early teenage years, when I tried to impress my older brother by finding him funny; eventually, I really did. But for a brief and glorious two-month free trial of Sirius recently, I haven't listened to him in his satellite era, yet that fleeting reunion made me remember how much I like him. I saw this book at a thrift shop and thought it was worth a few bucks.

It surprised me how perfectly it captures Stern's voice. I had no expectations about the pros
Mark
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A head injury in book form.
Laurie V
Aug 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I did this all out of order. The first time I'd ever heard of Howard Stern was when I saw the film version of Private Parts in 1997 with some friends who were fans. I then read Miss America soon after it was published, again not knowing much about Howard. Fast forward to 2010 -- I'm now a Sirius radio subscriber and daily listener of Howard's show. Because of this, I thought it was about damn time I finally sat down and read Howard's great literary achievement.

I liked Miss America a lot better t
Eva Leger
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Howard Stern fans
Recommended to Eva by: I just like Stern
I picked this up to read on a whim. I got the book from a friend months ago and wasn't planning on reading it right away- I thought it'd be years before I actually started it. Then I just grabbed it one morning when I stuck on about three or four other books I just couldn't get into.
I started flying through these pages. I think you have to already find Howard Stern funny to like this though. There are scores of people who would be highly offended by even the "mild" stuff he says here. By even t
Bren
I am not a Stern fan although I once was so that may influence my review but I did not find it funny nor informative.

It is however, as other reviewers have noted, quick mindless reading so there's that. I think one's appreciation of the book will vary depending on how a big a Stern fan one is. Since I am not a fan, I sped through this, was bored much of the time and was glad when I finished it.
Hank Stuever
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this one AND "Miss America." Whichever one in which he talks about proper ass-wiping etiquette would have to be my favorite...
Patrick Michael
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of my favorite books I have ever read. Many times I have had to put the book down over the years because I am laughing so hard.
The Badger
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh... It seemed as if Howard was trying way too hard to be interesting.
Tim Reisner
Read 10 or 15 years ago after enjoying the film many times. Works better as a film in my opinion.
Adam Helsel
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I, like many of my peers, became a Stern Show fan in the mid/late-90s in my adolescence. “Private Parts” came out in 1993 making it a little before my time. I am a huge Stern Show fan but as for Stern himself i am lukewarm at best. The homophobia, arrogance, and flirting with racism are all accessories to the main crime of Stern being unfunny at best and annoying at worst in “Private Parts”. These things don’t just shine through in “Private Parts”, they blind the reader.

I considered this book r
Jennifer England
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well I have to say I actually liked this book. I never even thought that much about Howard. Had heard about him. My guy has Sirius radio and we sometimes do take 3 - 6 hour trips. More so in the summer months. Car shows and camping. Over the past few years I have been subjected to listen without being able to get away. At first I was a bit annoyed as many others but then after a couple of interviews I realized he is interesting in a different way. I love to read and some of the books I have read ...more
Roger Bailey
I grew up listening to Stern and have tuned in and out over the last decade. New car with Sirius led me back in. I never read this book so gave it a shot. First off it's pretty clear going in that this book is going to have some outdated jokes. But for all the tasteless sexual and racial jokes; I'll be the first one to say that Stern's subject matter in the 90s honestly did clear the path for some progress. Where else was a kid in rural America in the 90s hearing about gay culture? Even if it wa ...more
Cindy. Brown
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I was born in 1990 and grew up hearing all about how horrible and disgusting Howard Stern was. As a child, I had no idea what the hell he was talking about or why is was so bad. My parents never gave me an explanation, just a 'he's scum' when I asked. As an adult, I now have a certain level of respect for the man.
I know this book was published twenty plus years ago but it still holds a lot of value and truth about the world we live in. The FCC and government are still censoring and controlling
Gerardo Vega
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to warn you people, stay away if you aren't a fan of The King of all Media. I loved this book but I know is because I'm a Super fan, I think only a Stern listener will understand the references and dedications for this book. It was really interesting to find out how Howard stern got started and what he had to go through to become the King! And how he met his wife Allison and how he met Robin and Fred. I was really engaged, some rants I could have lived without but then again It's Howard S ...more
Aydan Schlaffman
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Private Parts was a great book to read, as it was very entertaining, but also informative of some of the life of Howard Stern. As a big Howard Stern fan, I was very fortunate to get a hold of this book. The book had me laughing all the way through. This book consists of interviews from the Howard Stern Show, articles, pictures, information on his life, and how he got to where he was, and also his opinions on certain people and concepts. I strongly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Ho ...more
Sullyaugustine
3.5 stars out of 5 - I read a softbound from the library over the past few evenings. There are some laugh out loud funny parts but it could have used some editing down. And the pictures may have worked in the hardbound version but they were all but indecipherable in this format. Reminiscent of the movie Dumb And Dumber, only a bit less mature. Definitely worth a read by any male still in his teenage years, or interested in revisiting the funny bone of his adolescence.
Peggy
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this in library school as one of several examples of controversial books. The point was to have a sound collection policy that either included or excluded these books.

To my surprise I ended up really enjoying this particular book. Stern's book was surprisingly entertaining and made salient points about free speech. I'm not a huge Howard Stern fan in general, but I did really like this book.
Steve Bloom
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. It was what expected and more. It's all about the King of All Media. I remember reading it in the Albuquerque airport years ago when I was waiting for my mom and my sister. I have never started laughing out loud in public before. It's a genuine story that really personifies Howard Stern in a well presented manner.
Deyth Banger
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"January 16, 2020 –
January 16, 2020 –
70.0% "What a story... honesty... and from the beginning up to the end... whoa... total kill!"
10.0% "28:15"
January 16, 2020 – Shelved
January 16, 2020 – Started Reading"
Jami
I enjoyed the parts about his early life and getting into radio and annoying his bosses. I never listened to his show, but I liked him as a judge on AGT, which was why I chose to read the book. Some of the stuff from the show I didn’t find funny and it was repetitive.
Maki Vano
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this before I heard Howard. After I heard Howard, he sounds exactly like the voice in the book.
Deanna Mackenzie
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a laugh-out-loud-when-you-are-by-yourself kind of funny! The contrast in showing tender, emotional moments in his life made it all the more enjoyable.
Matthew Stetz
Stuff on the comedians was hilarious. Especially Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay.
Ethan
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Alex Ramirez
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going to be one of my favorite autobiography
Debbi
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laughed my ass off throughout the whole book.
Ian Jackson
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baba Booey to yall!
Patrick MacDonald
Good book for stern die hards. Doesnt hold up as well these days knowing what howard has turned into.
Robert
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book has a similar story to the movie but also includes extra details on certain aspects of Howard’s life. The book includes hate mail, pictures, and other peoples insight on Howard’s show.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Too Fat to Fish
  • They Call Me Baba Booey
  • Quivers: A Life
  • Crash and Burn
  • SeinLanguage
  • Wanna Bet?: A Degenerate Gambler's Guide to Living on the Edge
  • Lonesome Dove  (Part 1 of 3)
  • Live from New York: An Oral History of Saturday Night Live
  • Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
  • The Secret of Golf: The Story of Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus
  • The New New Rules: A Funny Look At How Everybody But Me Has Their Head Up Their Ass
  • Dirty Jokes and Beer: Stories of the Unrefined
  • The War for Late Night: When Leno Went Early and Television Went Crazy
  • KISS and Make-up
  • Tommyland
  • Misery
  • Garvey
  • Almost Interesting
Howard Stern is an American radio host, humorist and media mogul. Stern hosts The Howard Stern Show four days a week (Monday–Thursday) on Howard 100, a Sirius Satellite Radio station.

The self-proclaimed "King of All Media" has been dubbed a shock jock for his highly controversial use of scatological, sexual, and racial humor. Stern has said that the show was never about shocking people, but primar