Start by marking “The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth” as Want to Read:
The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth

The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth

Easy to understand and simple to apply, The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth is one of the most powerful books ever written about money. This book will change your life.

When Richard Paul Evans was twelve, his father, a building contractor, shattered both his legs. With no insurance, no income, and eight children, the family was destitute. At that
Published January 10th 2006 by Touchstone (first published 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth

The Total Money Makeover by Dave RamseyThe Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. StanleyThe Richest Man in Babylon by George S. ClasonI Will Teach You to Be Rich by Ramit SethiYour Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin
Personal Finance
106 books — 168 voters
The Tipping Point by Malcolm GladwellHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieEmotional Intelligence by Daniel GolemanSteve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonStrengths Finder 2.0 by Tom Rath
Wealth
60 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Sydney
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Meh. He gave good advice and it was ok. The problem was it wasn't really anything I hadn't heard before. And his budgets and other appendices at the end kind of sucked. If you're going to read a money self-help book, read something by Dave Ramsey.
Book Concierge
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Evans is best known for his novels - The Christmas Box was a NY Times bestseller. In this small book he passes on advice he learned as a youth from a man at his church. The principles are not difficult to understand, and anyone can do them. But the key is deciding to adhere to this advice and not succumb to the pressures of modern day living that equate conspicuous consumption with wealth. It’s a quick read, and it fulfilled a challenge to read a book about money, but I didn’t learn anything new ...more
Darrin
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very fast read and very sound advice. I read lots of other reviews giving 1-3 stars and the thing that makes me laugh is that almost every one of the lower reviews says something the effect of “I didn’t learn anything new from this book so it wasn’t that great”. It is that mentality the RPE specifically addresses: not being willing to delay gratification which leads to poor decisions. I would bet that most people who see this book title think it is going to give some secret silver bullet because ...more
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has been on my list to read for a long time because the “millionaire” referred to was a relative of my husbands. I thought this book had good insights and tips for people to make small changes in their spending habits. There were a few similarities to Ramsey’s money makeover book and I can see why some information in here could be useful to those trying to save money. It’s a quick and easy read. Listened to it on Hoopla.
Stephanie
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
As with other finance books, I thought the ideas presented here were reasonable and smart but not necessarily feasible. I would love to implement many of the ideas presented but feel that someone would already need to have accumulated a fair amount of wealth before they could do so. My husband and I are young and just starting out, and while we tend to be very strict with our budget already, we still struggle at times with being able to invest much, save much, etc. Life sure is expensive! Nevert ...more
Gabriela
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The 5 principles advocated here seem to offer more depth and practicability than most other personal finance or get rich books

In the Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me, Richard Evans draws from his own life experience and the personal stories of others, to make the proposition that money should not be the dominant fixation in our lives. Instead, he proposes five philosophies that we can apply to enjoy freedom in all areas including family, intimate relationships as well as our spiritual life.

I
Ellen Pilch
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would have given this book a 5 except for one thing at the end which I will get to. First off, it is simple, straight forward advice that everyone can use. I am thinking of getting a copy for my niece and her husband who are recently married and saving for a home.
A lot of stuff we all know, but just don't do. For example, think before you purchase something no matter what it is. Do we need to eat out so often? Is that going to leave us as happy as financial security. Evans doesn't want us all
Ann
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read the women's version of this and was surprised how much I liked it.
Very simple and effective tools, easily learned and applied...not a "budget", but a way of setting goals financially and taking an active part in planting the financial seeds in one's own financial garden, growing for rainy days and better times, regardless of how the national economy is going, etc.

Like a financial recipe book for success in baby steps...
Catherine
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought he had a lot of good points, especially about interest and savings. The only thing that seems a little disheartening is that it's hard to feel like you can become very affluent when you are comparing your income to that of a best selling novelist like Richard Paul Evans. However, I do realize that most people are not in his situation and he understands that as well and is trying to help the everyday person.
Thacia
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The tips in this book are good and helpful. I think that the organization of the book is good too. I think it could have had the tips a little better told. I missed one or two of them but I had to go back and read over it again because I didn't pick up that it was one of the five tips. Maybe it's just me. I think that the book is great. Some personal development books have resonated a little stronger with me but this one is good.
Mary
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once you've read Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover" make this your next great read.

If you're a woman, read his book specifically written for women (same title but it includes "for Women" on the cover.) He hits on a lot of excellent points that we women need to be aware of.

We are on track to start living a fresh new way that includes paying ourselves for the future.

Rachel
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mom, nonfiction, self-help
If this were my first financial book I ever read, it probably would be 4 stars. It is a fast and interesting read, full of stories and experiences, but it only has the basics and makes me question how, or what next. It would be a good motivational read for someone struggling to manage their money, but did not dive into much of the nitty gritty. Overall, worth the read.
Jennybug
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good book with some basic common sense ideas on how to save money/become a millionaire. I liked a lot of the ideas and thoughts.

Richard Paul Evans was good at compiling quotes and stories from other people to make a short little book about finances.

Here is one more idea on how to save some money. Don't buy this book. Check it out from a library if you really want to read it.
Melissa Poza
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a perfect start to my journey in learning about money and my relationship with it. Since I'm a novice when it comes to it, the book was beneficial. I don't think it would spark an interest in someone that is more advanced in money management. I loved that it was a quick and easy read and I can build a foundation with what I learned from this book.
Samantha
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an informative and amazing read! I enjoyed it thoroughly. I think the best part is, it's easy to understand, and there are tons of relatable stories to illustrate the points he makes. 10 out of 10 would recommend taking time to read this book.
Pamela
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a small but very practical book. I took a lot from this book and liked how straight forward it was. He also added personal sotied into the mix which was nice to read and get the take home message.
Derek Thue
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Carl Edward
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is great for people who have high consumer debt and can’t control their spending habits. In my eyes, the book can help about 85% of the population who struggle with money and have a lot of consumer debt.
Overall it was a good read.
JDL Wahaha
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book a while back in time and took some notes from it. Definitely made some good concept and worth checking.
Andrew Lind
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's only 106 pages, but it is the best financial book I have ever read. This books summarizes points many other finance books drill into your head. It's a quick and easy read and well worth keeping on your shelf to go back to time-and-time again.
Rebecca
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very insightful book. I am going to start now.
Ryan
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: money, self-help
Quick but really good, definitely one of the better books on the subject out there.
Janet Cline
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will get this book for my grandkids!!!
quick easy read
good handbook
John Weiser
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Was a good fast book. Similar to other teachings in a quick format.
Thor
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
great, easy to understand wealth building book.
Michael Delaware
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very valuable lessons everyone should know. I will be applying this.
Alan Berkowitz
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very, very basic. Could have been written in a two page summary.
Lindsey Christian
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a quick, easy read packed full of useful, practical and understandable information that everyone needs to start implementing in their lives today.
Pam Jensen
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! You can read it in just a couple of hours. It is very basic and anyone can do it. You don't have to already have money. I can't wait to be on my way to be wealthy.
Charlotte
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a good, quick read to be reminded of good financial principles. I knew most of it, but I did get a new tip for my water heater.
  • Winners Never Cheat: Everyday Values We Learned as Children But May Have Forgotten
  • The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • Escape from Rwanda: A True Story of Faith, Hope, and Survival
  • Automatic Wealth: The Six Steps to Financial Independence
  • A Child's Journey Out of Autism: One Family's Story of Living in Hope and Finding a Cure
  • Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring
  • What We Wish We'd Known When We Were Newlyweds
  • Agent in Old Lace
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Who Owns the Ice House?: Eight Life-Lessons From an Unlikely Entrepreneur
  • God Wants You to Be Rich: How and Why Everyone Can Enjoy Material and Spiritual Wealth in Our Abundant World
  • Saying It Like It Is
  • Mother Had a Secret: Learning to Love My Mother & Her Multiple Personalities: A True Story
  • The Automatic Millionaire Homeowner: A Powerful Plan to Finish Rich in Real Estate
  • Girl, Get Your Money Straight: A Sister's Guide to Healing Your Bank Account and Funding Your Dreams in 7 Simple Steps
  • 10,001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget
  • Multiple Streams of Internet Income: How Ordinary People Make Extraordinary Money Online
  • And They Were Not Ashamed: Strengthening Marriage Through Sexual Fulfillment
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more