Start by marking “After Eden” as Want to Read:
After Eden

After Eden

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  385 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Ultimately, After Eden can be summed up in these words: “For every two people who fall in love, Adam and Eve are reborn.” - Arnold Arre, September 2002

After Eden tells the story of Celine and Jon, estranged childhood friends who bonded over nasty pranks and seesaws. A mall brawl and an automobile mishap bring them together, sparking the genesis of a romance that changes si
Graphic Novel
Published 2002 by Adarna House

K.D. Absolutely
One of the most memorable local graphic novel that I've read. It's just that I felt too old for this kind of literary work. Yes, graphic works are still literature. Let's not debate about that. For me, the only difference that I see is that instead of spending hours or days reading narratives, you just have to see the pictures and follow what's happening. If prose writers spend a lot of time describing how their characters feel in a particular scene, in graphic works, the artists just draw them ...more
DC
This is a book about falling in love... and staying in love.

I was already labeling this as one of the most beautiful books I have ever read (with just a few pages in). I fell in love when the characters fell in love; I wept with passion when sadness fell so suddenly in-between these pages; I was torn apart as a relationship was slowly being broken. This book really clung to me, with its magic and simple wonder gripping me. You won't regret reading this, especially if you're a hopeless romantic.
Anne
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the first edition of this graphic novel and re-reading the revamped edition still gives me so much feels. I know this is the love story of Jon and Celine, but I've always been a Greg and Lea fan. They crack me up so much and their story is more striking despite being supporting characters. I love Arre's wit and humor, and the brilliance behind this wonderful masterpiece. I can always count on Arre for a compelling read in his graphic novels.
Maria Ella
I liked Halina Filipina more but this got the feels fest, man. Imagine the author going cheesy and innocent while drawing the panels...

Gah, there's even that cheesy-I-will-be-at-the-end-of-the-see-saw-like hahahahahahaha
PurplyCookie
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel didn't disappoint (although it would've been better if the elements of good/evil were not included) what with Arre depicting our lives after we have lost our innocence and idealisms in terms of the concept of love.

For indeed, how do we cope with relationships & the concept of love after graduating from academics? Where do we pick ourselves up in the dating scene (or lack thereof) when we're all office androids working 9 hours per day? Where do you go after you're done wit
Nicolo Yu
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philippine-komix
I only got to read this book when my friend, whom I've lent my first issue of Stardust, lost my book and replaced it with this title. I wasn't disappointed. It's a great read and a worthy replacement. My only complaint would be that the binding is faulty, freeing pages after multiple readings.
Ivy Catherine
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"And if it's strong enough, sometimes we find our way back."
-Oprhan Black

Experiencing pain and happiness after reading the graphic novel.
Joy Reyes
Jul 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: graphic_novels
i loved this graphic novel. it made me remember some of the old alamat that your grandparents in the province sometimes talk about. the storyline is great, the graphics can be further improved. actually i liked the colorful poster in the end. :) it's a good thing arre set it in present time and not to mention in UP. :)
Joy
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
"Look--the point is this: Out there is a season for you, but you'll only meet it once. It stays for a while, then it goes away. So don't lose it. Hold on to it. Never let it go. Let it know that it's loved. Let it know that you long for it. Because when you do it will have finally found a home. And you'll always have that season in your heart no matter what time of the year it is."
Diane
Thank you for making the rest of us feel lonely and miserable!
Marj Casal
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Changing my rating to 5 stars after an enlightening discussion with a fan. :D
Sheryl
Sappy soppy love!
Love wins! Love always wins!

My first Arre and am so looking forward to reading another one. :)

Angeli
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I remember seeing a friend post about this graphic novel and say that it is good way back when. I did check the blurb after and place it on my to-read list. Then, yesterday, a (different) friend shared her love for Mr. Arnold Arre's works and wanted to attend his talk the following day (aka today). She had other plans so she couldn't go so another friend and I went to the talk. I got myself a copy and read it while waiting for the talk to start.

IT. IS. A-MA-ZING.

I felt like I was being sucked in
Tays
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never got the chance to read the first edition, so I'm only reviewing the 2016 one.

Being the third Arre title that I picked up, and coming right after Halina Filipina. I haven't had the chance to read Arre's work when it comes to mythical creatures and what not. I have Andong Agimat and The Mythology Class still on my to do read. With that said, this book is quite similar to Halina Filipina. I believe this was written before that though, atleast the original first edition one. In any case, even
Teri Pardue
I absolutely loved Arre's graphic novels Halina Filipina and Martial Law Babies. In fact, I recommend them to friends all the time, loan out my personal copies, and have referenced Martial Law Babies numerous times in discussions about Philippine OFWs, nationalism, and the like. That said, I'd been trying to track down a copy of After Eden for awhile and was excited to see it had been republished recently and is popping up in National Bookstores and Fully Booked.

Maybe I went into it with too muc
Honeypie
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I love it.

I wasn't really expecting much. I was out-of-town, at the mall, checking out Filipino books I can give to my foreigner friend, and I saw this. Arnold Arre. After Eden. He's BIG in the Filipino komiks scene (and I did love Martial Law Babies) so I thought to just give it a try.

The world could use a lot more good vibes. The book is not totally predictable and too happy ending-ish. It entertains, that's for sure.

(view spoiler)
Sha Hernandez
Did not expect it to be so sexist. Utterly disappointed. :(
Tiff
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
The characters were a bit static and the cheese was oozing in tons in this graphic novel. The plot was kind of predictable and the resolution was kind of both insanely impossible and simple. But I did like the ending, cheeseballs and all that. Maybe I'm a bit of a romantic still :)
Lynne
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I gotta read the original, 2002(ish, right?) First published edition!!!

But don't get me wrong, this (2016 refurbished edition) story is so cute! (Review tbc coz I just literally finished reading now, which is 1 AM.)
Hannah
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
i can read this over and over again!
Zandra
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i can read this over and over again!
Sharmin
Ped Panlilio
Jul 04, 2016
Jerisprudence
Apr 23, 2013
  • Mass Murders (Trese, #3)
  • Ang Kagila-gilalas na Pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsazsa Zaturnnah
  • The Filipino Heroes League: Sticks and Stones (The Filipino Heroes League, #1)
  • Elmer
  • Anak ng Lupa
  • 12 (Silent Comics)
  • Mga Kuwento ng Pag-ibig
  • Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories
  • Pugad Baboy 7 (Pugad Baboy, #7)
  • The Voices of a Distant Star
  • Reportage on Lovers: A Medley of Factual Romances, Happy or Tragical, Most of Which Made News
  • Habang Wala Pa Sila: Mga Tula ng Pag-ibig
  • A Bottle of Storm Clouds: Stories
Arnold Arre (born September 2, 1971 in Metro Manila, Philippines) is a Filipino comic book writer, artist and self-taught animator best known for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999) and Ang Mundo ni Andong Agimat (2006).

Arnold Arre has won National Book Awards from the Manila Critics Circle for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999), a four-part action-adventure miniseries and Tri
“Fairy tales thrive on black and white. In life, there’s only grey – no bad guys, no good guys. You could be the Cheshire cat, Snow White, a troll or a pastry-making witch whose diet consists only of little kids, but you’ll always be you.” 42 likes
“Never enter relationships. Otherwise, suffer the pains that come with it. Enjoy your individuality while you can.” 7 likes