Start by marking “Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans” as Want to Read:
Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans

Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans (The Xenophobe's Guide)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  280 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Highlights the unique character and behavior of the nation. Frank, irreverent, funny--almost guaranteed to cure Xenophobia.
Published March 1st 1999 by Oval Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans

Manny
Sep 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Americans! They're all the same, aren't they? Overweight, ignorant and self-important... that goes without saying. But the worst thing about them is the racial stereotyping. Ask an American what Mexicans are like, and they'll immediately reply that they're rapists and murderers. Ask them about Muslims, and they'll say they're fanatical terrorists who think all women should be sex slaves. And then they'll start telling you that Donald Trump is right, he's the only person who can fix the problem.

Y
Ekaterina
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-russian
I am not an American but happen to live in the US, in the very Midwest, and a lot of the stuff in this book, sadly, is true, but it is hilarious and at some point is exaggerated...but that is what makes it soo good and funny)) Somebody could say: Come on! It can not be so! It is way too much...but then when you live through and around it and see it with your own eyes, you suddenly realize: yep, these are Americans.
I think it is a good book to understand some of the aspects of American life. I a
Jamie Rose
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Xenophobe's Guide To The Americans Stephanie Faulk

2.5 ish stars...

This was recommended to me on my hunt for the X... I was told it was funny. I didn't think it was as funny as it could have been. But for those of you attempting the Title alphabet there are a whole bunch of these.

It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. I am a big fan of America. I have had some amazing times there and would happily sell a kidney or marry a weirdo for a green card...I have read articles in this vein, about
Steve Cioccolanti
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Precise and concise summary of American culture. Many of America's critics have never stepped foot into America. They should read this book first. Author Stephanie Faul obviously has.

Having lived in the United States for about 10 years, I found a lot of her statements to be true and familiar:
"Walking is un-American - unless it's for exercise."
"American shopping malls...are palaces of consumerism."
"The Americans are great believers in giving people a second chance...they are a forgiving lot."
Maria
Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Maria by: English teacher
Shelves: humor-comedy
It was great fun, I enjoyed it a lot, however, the arguments presented in this little treasure are not to be used in serious arguments.
"For many Americans, fantasising about their own potential is a full-time activity." Ah, ah!
Ok, obviously this is not a faithful depict of the american people, simply because we cannot generalize human beings, we cannot uniformize them, period. Oh, but don't we enjoy doing it!
Cliché jokes, cliché lines, cliché stereotypes.
Heck, we sure do like to make ourselves f
Emily
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Granted, this book is written for Brits, not Americans, but I didn't find it all that funny. Not because I don't like the idea of making fun of Americans, but because the topics in this book seem so overdone already. I got a few chuckles, but most of the time I found myself thinking, "really? you couldn't come up with anything better than that?" It also completely lacked any kind of conclusion, ending abruptly with a diatribe on political correctness. Although this is supposed to be the type of ...more
Emi Bevacqua
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, travel
When our German teacher recommended we read the Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans, I laughed my ass off. I'm so glad she also had us get this version about Americans; I totally get that she wants us to not be Ugly Americans once we relocate to her native land, and I can't deny the points made about us in this teeny little (86 page) volume of hilarity. My copy was updated in 2013, and the series also includes pretty much all the Europeans, plus Aussies, Israelis, Kiwis, Japanese... I want to buy t ...more
wanderer
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, romanian
Yay, my first complete book in Romanian!

I can laugh at my own country or I'd never have made it through this book. I didn't agree with everything the author said about America but in humorous nonfiction, everything is exaggerated, of course.

"Nu conteaza cat de grea, paine e mai buna in tara ta."
Baris
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
There may be a grain of truth in the stereotyped phrases of Xenophobe's guide, but I just read this small book with a smile on my face. Quite funny indeed. Thanks to our friends Mia, Martin and dear Sophie we got this one as a present to get ready ourself for the American life, I already feel ready :).
David Rodenko
Superficial

Based on stereotypes mostly, not really reflecting the real America. Overall is true but without details only scratches the regional differences and totally ignores how important family is for most Americans.
Chris
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This is a very clever 86-page book that describes Americans in a nutshell. Our love of money, winning, the desire to be rich and thin when we usually are neither - all told in such a wonderfully straight forward manner it makes it all the funnier.
Ryan
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Americans and people who have to deal with Americans;-)
So well done I was wondering how the author could have come to know and perceive their own culture so well. Then I was shocked to find out that the author is in fact British. Very impressive. And interesting and fun:-)
Michele Bergadano
Come ogni altra nazione, l'America è convinta di essere il Paese migliore del mondo. La differenza è che gli americani ne hanno la prova: in tutto il mondo c'è gente che fa davvero sacrifici enormi pur di venire a vivere negli Stati Uniti, anche a rischio della vita.
C'è bisogno di dire altro?
marcus miller
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous and at times thought provoking. It depicts us Americans fairly well, mentioning our collective good qualities but at the same time, describing some of our less desirable habits, ideas or practices.
Brittany
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
67 pages
Trent Zelazny
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Funny, terrifying, and oh so true.
marcus miller
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Humorous, at times thought provoking, it does provide some interesting insights into Americans.
Astrid
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
"lite beer is lower in calories, lower in alcohol, and (a truly awesome achievement) even lower in flavour than ordinary beer."
Yvettee
Nov 20, 2008 rated it liked it
We bought this book when we were in Europe. It is a guide for tourists traveling to the USA. This book was very entertaining because some of the descriptions of Americans are a bit exagerated.
Esther
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's all true for the stereotype American. Thank goodness those aren't the only Americans around.
Frank
Mildly amusing Englishman's view of the USA.
Katy
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very funny take on American culture from a British perspective.
Tom
May 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Faul is an astute thinker and concise writer but is too constrained by the Xenophobe's format -- aside from an inspired intro there is too little insight, too many lazy punchlines.
Megan
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hysterical. Sadly...kinda true. Nevertheless, really amusing. If you want a quick, easy, and funny read then read this.
Dustin Sherman
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best book EVER! I loved this very easy toread, comical but yet very true book. Very informational and eye-opening to Americans that don't see nor understand that we do have a culture.
Julia Pogodina
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
It is written in a disgusting way and this kind of language make me dislike the author, not the Americans. Although the author tries so hard, ew
Gabriele
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Not as wittily written as the others (authors vary) but quite you few true points I can agree to (though my US friends may not)
Abcdarian
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
Lightweight, amusing, nailed it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Murphy's Law and Other Reasons Why Things Go Wrong
  • A Tender Victory
  • Vital Signs
  • Viva Polonia
  • Reinventing Government: How the Entrepreneurial Spirit is Transforming the Public Sector (Plume)
  • Tourist: A New Theory of the Leisure Class
  • Volevo i pantaloni
  • Memories of Another Day
  • The Undutchables: An Observation of the Netherlands: Its Culture and Its Inhabitants
  • Der geteilte Himmel
  • The Dilbert Future: Thriving on Stupidity in the 21st Century

The Xenophobe's Guide (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Albanians