Start by marking “A Marriage Made at Woodstock” as Want to Read:
A Marriage Made at Woodstock

A Marriage Made at Woodstock

Cathie Pelletier is back with a hilarious, touching, and insightful novel about the Woodstock generation. In A Marriage Made at Woodstock, Fred and Lorraine Stone, a forty-something couple who met and fell in love at the famous musical festival in upstate New York, have evolved and grown - but not in the same direction. Fred has become Frederick Stone, Computer Accountant ...more
Published June 21st 1994 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about A Marriage Made at Woodstock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Marriage Made at Woodstock

John
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Cathy Pelletier is great. This is a very enjoyable book and I liked that it takes place in Portland.
Rebecca
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally, I wouldn't give this type of book such a high rating. Maybe it's the relatability or maybe it's the fact that this is the first book I've been able to read in its entirety after a several-year-long reading hiatus, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Frederick Stone's life in Portland, Maine. Pelletier was able to create such a vivid inner dialogue between Stone and his thoughts that I, too, found myself having such a conversation with myself at times of crucial decision-making. Part ...more
Jodi Renshaw
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book a long time ago, but I still remember pieces of it now and again as a memory of it will come into my life because I’ll experience something familiar to the book.
Dolly
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually couldn’t finish the book. It was too boring.
Joanne
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Readable, sometimes funny, but I'd rather be in Mattagash.
Kathie Price
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
How could 1992 have been 26 years ago?
Dave
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Main character is extraordinarily boring--no wonder his wife left him. Writing style is also boring.
Cheyanne Dean
I didn't find the characters or their interactions believable
Jodie Stroud
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A tale of young, idealistic love, Fred and Lorraine (Chandra) meet at Woodstock, fall in love and marry. Their life moves forward from the 'free love' generation into the daily grind of today and slowly without them noticing they drift apart. It's a story about the slow dissolution of a marriage as they both grow and change until one day they wake up and everything is different. A lot of soul searching follows, reliving the past to find where it all went wrong, how did they change so dramaticall ...more
Uttiya Roy
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
How do you get to this suddenly from all that serious material you have been reading?
I don't know, but, it happens.
The title captivated me at first, it made me feel like something must be going on here, something great. Then, I red through it. For us who were born long after Woodstock happened, the festival remains like a mythical space, all encompassing, a moment which defined a generation. Here I am then, reading about a marriage made there, about a marriage that is falling apart. The book h
Susan Emmet
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Egad...the story of Freddy and Chandra.So much resonates because I'm of their generation.
Can't write much right now because I'm sort of overcome with news of the 60s, the humor and the detailing.
Sure think this is a fine novel.
And sure think it's worth reading for those of a certain age...60 and over?
Sometimes hard to cull through Frederick's "stuff" - and Lorraine/Chandra's, too, but...
the humor is clear, the stuff of the book is accurate, and I'm so glad it's set around Portland, ME.
And there
Libbie Buchele
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Long fairly boring book about a man and woman who got married in the flush of excitement and optimism of Woodstock, only to grow apart. The man has become set in his ways and fairly conservative and checked out, and so his wife leaves him. He then spends the rest of the novel coping in a rather boring and flat manner. It seemed neverending and I didn't really connect with any of the characters.
Sm
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
This started out fairly funny and amusing, but it never developed. A one note song about an accountant's divorce and recovery from his quasi hippie wife. Each scene by itself had some humor, but the same comedic elements over and over got boring. The maturation of Fredrick was not persuasive I barely was able to finish.
Rebecca Aaren
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of my favorite reads of the summer. Possibly because of where I was personally, but the honesty of the book made me feel a certain kinship with the main character. It was a great find.
Crackerberries Crackerberries
Aug 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't care for the book. Fredrick was a cry baby and I just didn't like him. It was kind of boring and took a lot longer for me to read than I think it should have. I read it all because my sister recommended it. See if I listen to her again! HA!
Mary
Although I put it my adult contemporary, this tale of a marriage lost, to among other things, an obsession with the computer is getting a little long in the tooth technology-wise. I kept visualizing the blinking green cursor of the DOS operating system.
Rachel
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Love the author's style of humor with the written word.
Meghan
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
HILARIOUS
Leslie
Dec 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have to read this one.From 1994, but takes place locally, right in Portland.
Tara
Mar 08, 2012 marked it as to-read
3/8/12 ~ Got back to the 2nd hand store by mom today & this is one of the books I got for $0.50. My dust jacket is different.
Rita Mahan
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A little dated as this was written in 1994 but an amusing story of a marriage that totally falls apart.
Mary Lynne
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Poignant, funny, with authentic characters!! I don't know why this author is not more popular. Love her writting!
Holly Ristau
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A hippie marriage! Pretty funny but sad, too
Noreen Lavan