Start by marking “Beaming Sonny Home” as Want to Read:
Beaming Sonny Home

Beaming Sonny Home

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  162 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The acclaimed author of A Marriage Made At Woodstockdelivers a funny, poignant novel about the complicated love between a mother and her son. When her wayward boy Sonny takes two women and a poodle hostage in his ex-wife's trailer, Mattie finds herself at the center of a drama that has the whole nation glued to their TV's.
Published July 1st 1997 by Gallery Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Beaming Sonny Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beaming Sonny Home

Holly
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I savored this book as one of the best character studies I've ever read. After many years of creating a garden, Mattie has decided not to grow anything this summer--a symbol of her state of mind regarding her status quo. Pelletier invites reader's into Mattie's interior reflections and responses to her children, her deceased husband, her neighbors, and her own choices, as she and they live through the drama of Sonny's taking hostages, a drama mediated through the news on television. Because Sonn ...more
Betty
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it

Cathie Pelletier is funny, and this book, set in Mattagash, Maine, will be especially funny to anyone (probably female) who suspects that Mothers favor their sons over their daughters. Her paragraphs are sometimes way too long, but there is lots to laugh about, and she wraps everything up with a surprise (to me, anyway) ending.
Joanne
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a quirky story of a mom named Mattie Gifford who lives alone in the little town of Mattagash, Maine. Mattagash is the type of small town where everyone's personal lives are intertwined like family trees. Marie has three very bossy daughters who even now that they are all grown ups, still are competing with their brother, Sonny, for their mother's attention.

One evening, Mattie finds out that her Sonny, who is her favorite child, has become mixed up in a drama taking place in Sonny's ex-w
Bill
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Cathie Pelletier's books and this was no exception. I do wonder why it is not included with "The Funeral Makers" "A Wedding on the Banks" "The Weight of Winter" and "One Way Bridge" as a "Mattagash Book". It is set in Mattagash, and while,like "One Way Bridge", it focuses on a different set of main characters also like "bridge" it has several or the regular residents as background players. And it reads, dark humor and all like the other four. In my mind it is the fifth in the seri ...more
Richard Becker
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Despite providing the novel its pivotal piece of tension, the bank robbery and subsequent hostage taking in Beaming Sonny Home is only a backdrop to account for the life of Mattie Gifford, his 66-year-old-mother. Sonny, who is held up in a trailer with two women and a poodle, had always been her favorite.

The rest of the people in her life had only caused heartache. Her mother had committed suicide. Her husband slept with her best friend. Her three daughters are selfish busybodies who spend most
Coralie
An excellent book about a working class family from Maine. Along the lines of Carolyn Chute, but much nicer. Mattie has 4 children, 3 daughters and a son. Her philandering husband has died. All of her kids have grown up. The daughters are married with children of their own. Her son is her favorite because the girls have always given her trouble. Now her son is in trouble, and the girls come home while their brother's drama plays out on television. Sad but sweet book with a happy ending. Apparent ...more
(not your)
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
When her wayward boy Sonny takes two women and a poodle hostage in his ex-wife's trailer, Mattie finds herself at the center of a drama that has the whole nation glued to their TV's. Beset upon by her three daughters and their lifetimes of (real and imagined) hurts, Mattie remembers her own moments of despair and the quiet ways she dealt with them. Could Sonny’s way be better? Cathie Pelletier writes a funny book full of deep emotion and strong characters. Recommended for series readers.
Edwina Callan
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2012
A wonderful rainy day read and I really enjoyed this book, all except for the wrap-it-all-up, too rushed ending. A lot of books seem to go on and on way after they have reached what I feel would have been a good ending, but not this book. I think the author could have added 50 or so more pages and tied up a lot of the loose ends that were left flapping in the breeze.
Judy
Oct 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting book about re-examining your life decisions during a crisis: Mattie's son has taken 2 women hostage because he wants his dog back from his estranged wide (and likes the attention it brings). Mattie must face her own decisions and the ones her children have made.
JoAnn Plante
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked the story. It was more personal than some of her other stories and it was very current. I was surprised at the ending. I thought Sonny would come home, but life isn't like that. I've read most of her other stories and this one is one of the best. I would recommend it!
Kathy Gilliland
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed her writing. A lot of families are probably like this. I really liked the mother in this story and felt for her.
Michal
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was waiting for a fun Mattagash book like the previous ones, but this one was by far the worst.
Linda Watkins
Aug 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
SOrry Liz! I tried!!
Pat
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Delightfully written novel about a mother with 4 grown children.
3 daughters and 1 son who takes 2 hostages into a trailer.
Mattie and the girls watch denouement on TV.
Very Good.
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I could relate.
Kelly
Jul 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Funny. Sonny and his three sisters, a whoring father, and a suffering mother. Sonny takes two hostages. Bittersweet and fulfilling.
Xendawg
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just keep saying, to people who have not read this author before- read it, and wonder why she is not more well-known. She is an amazing writer, and this is an absolutely tremendous book
Ann Douglas
Kept me company on the treadmill for a couple of workouts. Not too much more to say about this one.
Carla
  • Come and Go, Molly Snow
  • The Russian Girl
  • The God of Nightmares
  • Dangerous Attachments
  • Nature Attacks! (I Survived True Stories, #2)
  • Fighting Fire
  • Separation
  • The Angel with One Hundred Wings: A Tale from the Arabian Nights
  • Satellite Sisters' Uncommon Senses
  • The Dechronization of Sam Magruder
  • Vaporetto 13

“This is what keeps ghosts locked to the earth, that sweet burning need for something they loved and gave up too soon.” 2 likes
“Sometimes you need to be touched to know you're still alive.” 2 likes