Start by marking “Best Kept Secrets of Peer Code Review (Modern Approach. Practical Advice.)” as Want to Read:
Best Kept Secrets of Peer Code Review (Modern Approach. Practical Advice.)

Best Kept Secrets of Peer Code Review (Modern Approach. Practical Advice.)

3.02  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Ten practical essays from industry experts giving specific techniques for effective peer code review.
Published January 1st 2006 by smartbearsoftware.com

To ask other readers questions about Best Kept Secrets of Peer Code Review, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Kept Secrets of Peer Code Review

Ettore Pasquini
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: technology
This is a 160+ pages book that could have been perfect as a 10 pages essay. Why do authors believe they need to cross the 100 page mark to give meaning to their work? I don't get it. 50 pages books are still books, guys. I think the long-windedness is particularly harmful to the cause of this immensely valuable practice, because it gives the false idea you need oh-so-much study to start being an effective code reviewer.

There were some good takeaways though:
- code reviews are only good if they ar
Atul Kumar
Aug 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Most of the content is outdated, shouldnt have picked it up.
Cait
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: code monkeys and cat herders
My first impression was "Surprisingly readable!", and that was carried through almost the entire collection. Jason Cohen wrote the bulk of the chapters, with "Resistance to Code Review" written by Eric Brown and "The SEI Perspective" written by Steven Teleki. Jason Cohen is the founder of Smart Bear Software, the company that provides this book for free.

Actually, let me digress for a moment here. This book has three very clear, very up-front goals: to persuade readers that code review is valuabl
Mike
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book has been sitting on my shelf for years. I started working for a new company a few months ago, and code reviews are required for every pull request, so I thought I'd dust this off and see what's inside.

The book starts by discussing the results of various studies that have been performed on code reviews. Through this analysis, the authors make some conclusions about how to conduct an effective review. They also discuss the social impact of reviews, what metrics you should capture and how
Abhaga
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
It has some interesting quantification of the hunch that code review saves time and money. But I realized that I didn't want to read a 160 page book about peer code review.
Glenn
May 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a book I read related to the work I do (IT programming), so if just reading that made your eyes glaze over, and it wasn't because you smoked dutch cleanser this morning, feel free to drop off.

The book deals with several different types of code review, including pros/cons of each method and their effectiveness at detecting and correcting software defects during the earlier stages of software development (prior to QA and production deployment).

It includes details about the largest case st
Robert Beveridge
Jason Cohen, The Best Kept Secrets of Peer Code Review (Smart Bear Software, 2006)

Despite having been in IT for some fifteen years now, I must admit I'd never heard of peer code review before Smart Bear Software's book landed on my doorstep. I have to say it's a pretty darned good idea, though, from what I've read of it here. I'm not entirely sold on the book itself, but I like the idea it's touting, which is basically this: two (or more) sets of eyes on a given piece of code are better than one
rigelk
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
A good reading to introduce the concept of code review to both managers and developers themselves. The advice are practical enough to improve your current review workflow if you have one, be it through the checklist method, the mesurements or the social managing of egos.
The problem with this book lies more in its size. While it is easy to read, it repeats itself over the different parts - though making them independant. Dilution of such an important subject might be harmful, but hey, 160 pages i
Frank
Dec 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: software
This was an interesting look at peer reviews with from my experience most software engineers seem to drudge and avoid. This book made several points that I plan to incorporate in my team's next peer review. I feel that this may help change the dynamics of the review and improve my team's outlook on this important subject.
Matt
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: computers
Decently interesting, given the subject matter, but it still felt at times like I was sloshing my way through it. The book focused on small-scale peer code review, with the ultimate aim of getting people to buy Smart Bear's product. The product does look interesting, and I wouldn't mind adopting some of these practices at work.
Juan Dodero
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: it
Repetitive, but worth reading. Some key takeaways even for people already committed to code reviews.
Robert
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computers
One of the better, smaller books on code reviews. Read this and you will want to ALWAYS use code reviews in your work.
Radu Stanculescu
There are some helpful ideas but it's also a sales pitch for Collaborator.
Olli Sorje
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Has few interesting ideas for code reviews but has too much repetition. Also it shows that this is sponsored by one specific company manufacturing code review tool.
Pier-Luc Caron St-Pierre
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you want to implement a peer review process in your organization I recommend this book for any stakeholder involved in the process : from manager to developers."
Luboš
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Inspiring, I will write a blog post about code review.
Spencer
Nov 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: technical
Terrible. Barely passable as a collection of anecdotes. Contained almost no useful advice or research.
Kurt
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting and useful; very light treatment of pairing and agile development, but great and detailed information about code reviews aimed at PSP/TSP developers.
Mossaddeque Mahmood
Jan 24, 2011
Kevin Leung
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: work
This book is a bit dated as code review has become common practice in software engineering. However, as an engineering manager trying to make code review better, the essays provide the concrete evidence and metrics to support the best practices in code review. Since code review has become common practice, the principles and goals behind it aren't often evaluated. There are many digressions and repeated points, but I found it to be a good meditation for me to think hard about code review.
Andy