Start by marking “Dark Dreams: A Collection of Horror and Suspense by Black Writers” as Want to Read:
Dark Dreams: A Collection of Horror and Suspense by Black Writers

Dark Dreams: A Collection of Horror and Suspense by Black Writers

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  289 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A spellbinding collection of short fiction explores the dark imaginations and experiences of the human mind in spine-tingling tales of horror and suspense by Zane, Tananarive Due, Stephen Barnes, Robert Fleming, and other distinguished African-American authors.
Published August 1st 2004 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Dark Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Dreams

MontiLee Stormer
Jul 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Shelves: audio
This was one of those listens/reads that makes me think that throwing enough pointless sex and swears into a book makes it publishable.

This was an ambitious anthlogy edited by Brandon Massey featuring Black writers - which is what drew me to the book.

The best in the bunch were by Chesya Burke (He Who Takes Away The Pain), and Brandon Massey (Grandad's Garage), the editor, and Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes never fail to disappoint, however two or three worthwhile stories out of twenty makes f
Lena Tumasyan
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Jim
I didn't know what to expect especially after I got through the first couple stories. The first story, Resident Evil, has a lot of sex in it. I don't much like sex with my horror. Plus, the story was really poorly written. The dialogue was atrocious. I know that Zane is a fairly prolific author, and I assume she's popular. But this read like somebody's first draft of a story. I didn't care for it.

The second story (But Beautiful and Terrifying) was better written, but it was still about sex! Is t
Monique
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Massey is one of my favorite horror/thriller/suspense writers and I finally got a chance to read this collection of stories. He has stepped out of the box and given known and unknown African American authors to show their work to the world. The contributing authors are: Zane, Robert Fleming, Chesya Burke, Kalamu ya Salaam, Joy M. Copeland, L.R. Giles, L.A. Banks, Ahmad Wright, Lawana Holland-Moore, Christopher Chambers, D.S. Foxx, Terence Taylor, Linda Addison, Rickey Windell George, Francine Le ...more
noelle
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, horror-lit, used
it's unfortunate that dark dreams starts off on such a horrible note with zane's "resident evil," an awful amalgam of vampire horror and erotica, because i'm sure that it could be really off-putting to someone who picks it up at random. however, if you power through or just ignore the story, i'm finding that DD reads as a typical anthology--some meh stories, and some that really shine. "bras coupe" and "hair dreams" are my favorites so far.
TR
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only reason that I didn't give this book a 5 star rating is because there are two that I just couldn't bring myself to...like.
Either way my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE story is by LA Banks, "If The Walls Could Talk". I REALLY WISH some more of her books were on Audible.
R.I.H. LA Banks - brilliant author gone too soon.
Also I really wished that D.S. Foxx would expand on "Dreads".
Murvin
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
I found the collection boring.
Jon
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Anthologies are a bit of a mixed bag: some stories you'll like, some you won't. This one's no exception.
Dean
Nov 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: vampires
I was very dissipointed. The First Story was barely a Penthouse letter's hack job with a vampire theme thrown in. More humor than horror. The Second was badly written with some interesting bits but again gratuitous sex. after the first two, I had to throw in the towel. I felt like I was punked.
The second had an interesting premise, but the dialogue was horrible and it seemed very amateurish.
I could not finish this and think it's a waste of time. I'm very sad about this because I thought it would
Debby
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked most of the stories in this anthology. The first one kind of threw me off but most of the ones that followed were good to go.
J
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
Jeanetta
May 13, 2009 rated it liked it
My thoughts about this collection of short stories have changed in the weeks since I finished reading them. I enjoyed most of the stories as I read them. However, there are only three I would read a second time. Bras Coupe by Kalamu ya Salaam and Granddad's Garage by Brandon Massey were stories with protagonists and environments that I could vividly see and care about. The ending of each story is creepy yet satisfying. Danger Word by Steven Barnes and Tananrive Due was also in interesting read. ...more
Titilayo
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I got this book because i wanted to read Tananavarie Due and Stephen Barnes zombie story Danger Word before the short film came out. The rest of these stories were highly disappointing. I will say that Dreads by D.S. Foxx and he Who Takes Away the Pain by Chesya Burke were on point. Everything else was just okay and/or a nice try to cross genres. Not all that impressed or interested in adding these authors to my library.
Audrey
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Any one story where the author can manage to weave a Phillis Wheatley reference into a horror story, as Brandon Massey did in Granddad's Garage, is aces with me! A terrific collection of chilling tales, all of them good, many of them fantastic. I like stories that keep me thinking.
Anthony M. Brown
Dec 29, 2008
camille johnson
Oct 18, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #127 Dark Dreams (Horror Anthology) 1 1 Nov 20, 2016 10:01PM
Interracial and A...: Dark Dreams 1 10 Apr 01, 2012 09:32AM
  • Dark Thirst
  • Joplin's Ghost
  • Creepin'
  • Gathering the Bones
  • Left for Undead (Crimson Moon, #6)
  • Another Time, Another Place
  • The God of the Razor
  • Bending the Landscape: Original Gay and Lesbian Horror Writing
  • Voodoo Dreams: A Novel of Marie Laveau
  • Let's Play White
Here’s a little about me, Brandon Massey. (“Massey” is not pronounced “macy,” by the way. Think of “mass” instead.)

I was born June 9, 1973, in Waukegan, Illinois. I grew up in Zion, a suburb north of Chicago.

I originally self-published Thunderland, my first novel, in 1999. After managing to sell a few thousand copies on my own, Kensington Publishing Corp. in New York offered me a two-book contract
More about Brandon Massey

$8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Women in the Castle
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Hag-Seed (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • News of the World
  • Black Swan Green
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)