Start by marking “Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,497 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Now in Paperback!People are the most valuable asset in today'�'s fiercely competitive workplace. In HIRING SMART, now available in paperback for the first time, Dr. Mornell delineates 45 simple strategies for "people reading"-observing a candidate'�'s behavior and predicting what they'�?ll be like in the workplace-that virtually guarantee hiring the best possible candidate ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Ten Speed Press (first published July 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hiring Smart!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiring Smart!

Jacob O'connor
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Couple great ideas here (see notes 3&5).  I'll give them a try to see if they help.

Notes:

1) The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior (22)

2) Who can never pay the right person enough, and you always pay the wrong person too much - no matter what -number -Charles Scott (66)

3) First interview.  Tell the candidate this will be a brief interview.  Mostly introductory   That way you can release them early if they're obviously not the right fit.  (70)

4) Look for passion (73)

5) Int
Linda
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Mornell states that business colleges don't teach how to hire - he's right, this was barely covered. It is obvious he has spent a lot of time developing his method. I liked the tips, examples, and 100+ questions to ask - I'll be chewing on those myself as I decide how I would answer.

"Men judge more from appearances than reality. All men have eyes, but few have the gift of penetration. Everyone sees your exterior, but few can discern what you have in your heart."
~ Machiavelli, The Prince, 153
Aaron Benarroch
Jul 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
(Premise: I've read it in Italian) I so far have worked in Italy, Germany, Spain, Macedonia, Turkey and The Netherlands. In none of these places except perhaps a bit in the last is this book of much use. The cultural differences are strong. I don't blame the author though, but the purely revenue-oriented publishing industry. To me it was like, as a caribbean, reading advices about how to overcome climate hardships, written by an eskimo.
Ben
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Two things can help you overcome the need for this book: being self aware and curious about improving. While this book is a decent reference for hiring, and may help you build your own patterns for hiring strategy, it's rather prescriptive and sometimes overly specific around the most important job roles for your company. I'll keep it on my shelf for reference, but think there are better resources online.
Otis Chandler
Goodreads is hiring - so I wanted to read up :)
Mindy
May 01, 2008 added it
again a work project
Kendall
Good ideas - again, mostly focused on executive hiring in my opinion.
Jeff
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Makes an effective case for taking all the time necessary upfront to hire the right fit and the cost of not.
Mark Brewer
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read on hiring and interviewing and finding the right person.
Jack Fernandes
Easy to read, specific and plenty of good examples and cases.
Celso
John Wong
Feb 08, 2018
Ngozi Onwudegu
Jan 09, 2013
rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2015
Shashmitha
Jan 24, 2016
Mohammed Jilali
Jun 01, 2017
  • Principles of Statistics
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement
  • Web Analytics: An Hour a Day
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Growing Great Employees: Turning Ordinary People into Extraordinary Performers
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
“Under pressure, even the smartest people will start to rationalize that frogs really can turn into princes.” 0 likes