Start by marking “Batman” as Want to Read:
Batman

Craig Shaw Gardner

Batman (Batman)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  782 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Here is the novelization of the blockbuster Warner Brothers summer movie of 1989, Batman, from the author of The Lost Boys movie tie-in and the Ebenezzum fantasy series. Stars Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger. Original.
Published (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Ε.Χ.Γ. ⚓
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Χωρίς να έχω δει την ταινία, στην οποία βασίστηκε το βιβλίο, μπόρεσα να πλάσω μια λεπτομερή εικόνα στο μυαλό μου με τη βοήθεια της εξαιρετικής περιγραφής του συγγραφέα. Συνδυάζει δράση, την πάλη ανάμεσα στο καλό και στο κακό και τις όμορφες αναμνήσεις που είχαμε από τον Batman ως παιδιά με τη μυρωδιά και την αυθεντικότητα ενός παλιού βιβλίου (η έκδοση είναι του 1989).
Corey
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first saw the Batman 1989 version when I was 8 years old, and I thought it was the coolest movie ever since Star Wars! I've been a die-hard Batman film ever since. Michael Keaton was a great Batman and Jack Nicholson was phenomenal as The Joker.

The book follow the movie fairly well. Batman wages war on the criminal underworld of Gotham City, but when the Joker comes to power, he takes over the underworld and wants to rule Gotham City, but also shows interest in Photographer Vicki Vale, who sho
Kevin Mullikin
Normally I am a big fan of reading books before their movie adaptation is released. This is one example of where I preferred the movie to the book. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Craig Shaw Garder, and I think the book was well written, however there were some really out of place scenes in this adaptation that I felt did not fit the overall flow of the story. For example, most people will recall the scene in the movie where Bruce Wayne shows up at Vicki Vale's apartment and the two have an ar ...more
Nicole
Aug 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ties both the new and old versions of the movie together, but when I get the visual picture of the Joker, I always picture Heath Ledgers version. To me, that is the Joker that can be Batman's ultimate enemy. Jack Nicholson looks like a clown in comparison.
Jevron McCrory
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the very first books I ever read!

I still have the copy and I get chills reading it!

Viva la Burton's Batman!
Andrew
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this film for many reasons - it was a Tim Burton film with a score from Danny Elfman - I was hooked, however it was also the introduction of a new kind of Batman. Up till that point Batman was a cheesy 60s psychedelic roller coaster that just didnt reflect some of the comics and graphic novels coming out at the time (Year One?)
So yes when this film came out I loved it - okay watching it now especially with the later incarnations to compare against has taken some of the wow factor out of
Jake
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I became a Batman freak when the Tim Burton version arrived in theatres. I started reading the comics. I wore a Batman t-shirt to school. Even tried to make my own mask out of cardboard. Yeah, that was an embarassing disaster. And though I rarely do, I bought and read the novelization.

As with all novelizations, the book differs from the movie here and there. The book author works with the script prior to the final cut of the film being assembled. What I enjoyed about this novelization was some o
Ryan Solski
Man, having this book since childhood, I reread it after more than 20 years to realize that the story still holds up. One of the better reads for Batman fans would be the movie script novelizations. Something about how a book translates into a movie, or how a script translates into a book, makes it really interesting for its comparative viewing. Joker is quite the gang leader!
Eric
Gotham City was a total crap mess. “Decent people shouldn’t live here,” said the Joker in a rare moment of clarity. “They’d be happier someplace else.” Like Metropolis, perhaps.

Full review here: http://superheronovels.com/2012/07/21...

Rebecca McNutt
I love the film this book ties in with, and though I'm not really a big fan of movie novels, this one wasn't bad. It was well-detailed, though rather fast-paced, and it had several screenshots included.
Lee Houston,
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good novel in and of itself An advisory for the purists out there: author based his work upon the shooting script, not what appeared via the final edit, so some detail discrepancies occur.
Beau Johnston
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, fantasy
As a young Batman fan, I couldn't wait for this movie to be released. And I wasn't disappointed (it was this point in time that Tim Burton became my favorite movie director).

The book was a fun read, and certainly worth spending some of my hard earned cash on.
Richard
damn i miss novelisations that came out before the movie. this was on sale about 5 weeks before the film came out and being a 15 year old movie nerd I had to have it. nostalgia gives it 3 stars, but it was more likely 2 stars
Brittany ♥♥~Proud Hufflepuff and supporter of S.P.E.W. ~♥♥
It definitely wasn't the movie...but it wasn't a bad read either. Although I'm not sure I'd be able to read the book and watch the movie that closely together...it might drive me crazy!! But being able to read one of my favorite movies is amazing :)
Scott Macauley
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this twice when I was a kid, before even seeing the movie. Pretty much the only book I can say that about.
Chris
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading.
Nika Anuk
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Surprisingly good book. I didn't expect much to by honest but as fan of Batman I really wanted to try it. What I've got is a good book with good characters.
Butterflykatana
My Brother and I fought over this book every chaptor. Great story and enough little things to keep you reading even when you seen the movie 3+ times.
Brant
Jul 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know whether this was a good or bad book. I do know that I read and re-read it when I was twelve years old, and for that it has earned its 5 stars.
R.
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1974-2002
I was disappointed that the "Cowboy Batman" (Batman chasing the Joker through Gotham on horseback; a nod to the Lone Ranger, I suppose) scene wasn't in the movie.
Arlene Allen
Don't ask why.
Lucy
parents wouldn't let us see movie so we read book later on instead
Bruce
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book explains a lot about Batman and Bruce Wayne
Andy
FIRST PUBLICATION. NOVELISATION OF THE 1ST BATMAN FILM.
Kooshmeister
Rebecca Rogers
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
even in the book Vicki vale screams too much....
Dharia Scarab
A nicely done movie adaptation.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I find another book by the author for unde
Mark R.
Craig Shaw Gardner's novelization of Tim Burton's 1989 film "Batman" is probably as good as such a book could be. Some novelizations will work better than others; in the case of something like "Batman," much of the appeal of the film is in its visuals, Burton's wonderful sets, costumes, etc.

Gardner does an adequate job with the creatively unrewarding task of adapting "Batman" into book form (I'm sure it wasn't monetarily unrewarding, and might have even been kind of fun to write). Some of the na
Alexander Draganov
"Boom shakalakalaka, Boom shakalaka..."
Very cool novelization with some "deleted scenes" from an earlier version of the script, good descriptions of Batman, almost exclusively given from Vicky Vale, thus allowing the hero to remain mysterious, and brilliant presentation of the Joker. I liked it more than "The Dark Knight" novelization of Dennis O'Neil!
Victor Orozco
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Captures the movie very well, bringing back some memories from the first time I watched it. I do find some thing's interesting, particularly the scene with the statue that wasn't done in the movie. As well as the fact that there were no cops at the climax between Batman and Joker.

Not a perfect Batman story but a decent attempt. B
  • Batman Forever
  • The Further Adventures of Batman
  • Batman Begins
  • The Untold Legend of the Batman
  • Independence Day: Novelisation
  • Salvation (X-Men Mutant Empire #3)
  • Dragonslayer
  • The Argonaut Affair (Time Wars, #7)
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (Indiana Jones #2)
  • Batman: The Ultimate Evil
  • X-Men 2
  • Prophets of the Dark Side (Star Wars: Jedi Prince, #6)
  • Voices
  • The Dark Knight Rises: The Official Novelization
  • Alternities
  • Miracle Monday
  • Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #1)
  • The Dark Knight Manual: Tools, Weapons, Vehicles  Documents from the Batcave
Craig Shaw Gardner was born in Rochester, New York and lived there until 1967, when he moved to Boston, MA to attend Boston University. He graduated from Boston University with a Bachelor's of Science degree in Broadcasting and Film. He has continued to reside in Boston since that time.

He published his first story in 1977 while he held a number of jobs: shipper/receiver for a men's suit manufactu
More about Craig Shaw Gardner...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1