Start by marking “Mandie and the Secret Tunnel (Mandie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mandie and the Secret Tunnel (Mandie, #1)

Mandie and the Secret Tunnel

(Mandie #1)

Mandie Shaw, almost a teenager, is certain God no longer loves her as she watches her father being lowered into his grave. Mandie's move into a neighbor family's home, when her mother remarries, does not soften her grief. Her only comfort is the promise from her father's faithful Cherokee friend, Uncle Ned, to watch out for her and be a friend. Will Mandie be able to escap ...more
Published May 1st 1983 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Mandie and the Secret Tunnel, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) That would depend on the reader. For a person reading at adult level, not long at all. For a kid in the age group the book is written for (say 10-12),…moreThat would depend on the reader. For a person reading at adult level, not long at all. For a kid in the age group the book is written for (say 10-12), they might take 5hrs or so.(less)

Amy
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
2018 Review
I decided to take a nostalgic trip down memory lane give this one a re-read. It was...eye-opening. But not bad. Don't go in expecting a mystery. Go in thinking adventure novel.
From a writing perspective, it screams plot inconsistencies. From an adventure book for grade and middle school girls? Oh, it rocks. An orphan heroine, strong friendships, secret tunnels, missing wills, ghosts, wealthy relatives, fabulous dresses, a Cherokee spy network, long-lost relatives…this book contains it
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
Bleh. bleh. bleh. No, no, no.

This book is DISGUSTING. I was so into this series when I was like seven....I wish I could go back in time and tell my seven year old self, "Do not read such disgusting crap, my little self," and convince little Mimi never to read these books again.

I would not recommend this book to anyone. Never. Ever.

BLEH
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Elementary Kids, Parents, Young children, Christians
Oh mandie. This book series was literally the light of my elementary to middle school years. It marked a time of innocence. I remember the serious anticipation i had as i waited each week for my book to arrive at the library. This is a great book for anyone young. It builds moral fiber. It is Christian, and sticks to Christian beliefs. However, even if one is not of the christian faith the morals are all for the greater good of society and the religious factor, though integral, could be over loo ...more
Leona  Carstairs
Apr 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-books
The shit one reads as a child, am I right?

I was obsessed with this book in my younger and darker days. And as with many books I read voraciously as a nine or ten year old, I realized just how stupid they were a few years too late to save myself the trouble. I still remember this series well, TOO well. *gags* This series is honestly ridiculous, everything from the over-abundance of installments (40 books?? Really??) to the terrible quality of writing and the characters who seem to go out of thei
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Mandie Shaw, almost a teenager, is certain God no longer loves her as she watches her father being lowered into his grave. Mandie's move into a neighbor family's home, when her mother remarries, does not soften her grief. Her only comfort is the promise from her father's faithful Cherokee friend, Uncle Ned, to watch out for her and be a friend. Will Mandie be able to escape her new and nearly intolerable home situation? Will she find her long-lost family? Will the mysterious key
wanderer
I admit it: I am reviewing these books years after reading them. However, do not even suggest that I'm no longer qualified, that too many years have passed to remember. My battered and faded copies of these books testify to how many times I read them growing up and plots and entire passages are seared in my memory forever.

Snowball always ran away, Mandie always got in trouble, Uncle Ned always rescued her, and Joe and Tommy bristled at each other. I myself prefered Joe, but Tommy's cosmopolitan
Andrea Cox
4 stars

A childhood favorite, this book was such a delight to revisit.

I did not remember there being a couple of swear words on page one. Boy, was I shocked! Other than that, this book is clean. I’m not sure what the point was of using those two words.

Mandie was a staple of my childhood, and I still adore her. Uncle Ned and Joe were just as amazing as I recalled, and the mystery was good. I liked that, though I’ve read this book numerous times years ago, I still felt surprised by the twists in th
Kalee
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
this was my favorite series growing up! Every young girl should read them - they taught me a lot about life, love and God, all while being thoroughly entertaining! Actually, they are good for boys too - my brother loved them! lol

I won't bother marking every book in the series but i have read most of them and highly reccommend them for young girls!
Susy
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: me-and-maryana
DD gave it 5 stars. Almsot 30 (!) years later I'm revisiting these w my 10 yo. Same ol Mandie and Joe and Polly. I had forgotten how young Mandie and Joe were and all those little butterflies between them. :) She loved it and promptly got book #2 down. I did keep thinking as I read it how nowadays readers would be all political correct and be offended about Uncle Ned and how he needed to be called an American Indian and not just Indian. I had forgotten the political tenseness during this time w ...more
Ann
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful children's series I read as a girl.
I checked out the entire series one summer and binge read them.
There were good morals and lessons in each book, managing to continue to capture my attention so much that I remember it even years and years later. :)
Emily Parton
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Re-read this in a day; this used to be my very favorite book when I was younger, but I think I like it even more now that I am reading it from an older perspective. The relationships (primarily between the kids) are so innocent and just plain good old-fashioned. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a quick read, a mystery, and just a hint of romance.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Three and a half stars.
Mandie has real problems and reacts like a real kid. Yes, women often did farm their kids out if they were widowed and remarried, right into the 1940s. Yes, said farmed-out kids were treated as basically slave labour by many of the people who took them in; they were made aware every minute that they were there on sufferance and had to "pull their weight". Yes, there were (and are) many preachers who emphasise hellfire instead of Christ's forgiveness and grace. The Christ
Kristine Hansen
It's been years since I read the Mandie series and so it was fun to go back and start all the way at the beginning.

I'm surprised by just how much story is packed into this short book. The plot is convoluted with a whole lot of twists and turns. I found myself thinking that this could have been a much longer book if the author had decided to go into more lavish descriptions or deeper characterization. But oddly enough it works, even if Mandie feels more than a little preachy at times. I think if
Sara
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: upper elementary age
I first read this book when I was around 11 or so - Mandie's age in the story. I loved the series then, and I still find it enjoyable now. I happened to spot the books on the shelf at the library and decided to read the series again.
The book begins with the death of Mandie's father and tells of how she deals with her grief in the face of the hardships set before her. By the end of the book, she has made new friends and found a new life for herself in her uncle's house.
As a child, I loved that th
Trudi
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 8 to 12 year olds
This book, at the time, was the best book that a ten year old could get her hands on...or so I thought. I remember going into the library in search of a book...and stumbling across this one. I picked it up and couldn’t stop. After that I read all forty-one of Lois Gladys Leppard's Mandie Series and had two years of entertainment.
I remember how much I wanted Mandie and Joe to get together *sigh* but alas! She died before she could get to that part. Oh well, I look back on this book (and all of t
Tim Kruse
Sep 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Yeah, yeah, they're "girl books"... but it's not like I read the whole series (only the first 23 books to be exact) but what else is there to do after you've read all the Bobbsey Twins and Hardy Boys?
Malia Saldaña
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-books
I wanted to read this book because my mom read it when she was a young girl. It was a very sweet and cute read. The ending was very surprising. I thought this would be a mystery, but it wasn’t really.
Caedy  Eries
Heidi-Marie
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Heidi-Marie by: Hannah Kiesewetter
The first in a series that I probably would have really enjoyed around ages 8-11. As an adult, I couldn't ignore all of the amazing, convenient, and slightly annoying coincidences and the cheesiness. But there is nothing harmful in the book, except maybe the 13-year old proposing to the 11-year old. ;-) Especially as it is Christian lit.

With the living situation being settled by the end, I might be more interested in the other mysteries that Mandie sets out to solve. I did enjoy being able to g
Sofia Marie
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
When her father dies Mandie is left with her unfeeling mother and cruel sister. Things don't get better when she is sent to a neighbor's farm two miles away to live. Mandie's two friends are Joe, an old schoolmate and great comfort, and Uncle Ned - her father's faithful Cherokee friend. Will she be able to run to safety with Uncle Ned? Will she finally get to know the truth about her family? Where does the secret tunnel lead to? Does God still love her?

This book teaches important life lessons. W
Elizabeth
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh Mandie!
I read these as a child and now Lydia at 9 has devoured them one after another. We have 18.
I love the mystery. I love the way faith and struggling with faith are presented for the tween crowd in a way that is able to be related to, not preachy and true. I like the friendships and history of place and people.
I also see that books like these are a huge reason that it is so important to show young people a diversity of voices in literature and I am so thankful that now there are so many g
Lizzi Crystal
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
I adored this series as a child. I think it's part of the reason I dreamed of visiting Europe from such a young age. However, on re-reading these for nostalgia's sake as an adult, I'm recoiling in horror. They're badly written, repetitive and chock-full of in-your-face Christianese. No wonder, coming from a strictly conservative Christian publisher. I'm glad for the hours I spent enjoying these as a child, but saddened that trite Christian books were the only ones I was allowed to read.
Dexter
Feb 13, 2012 added it
Shelves: mystery, christian
I can't really rate these books, because I grew up reading them so they hold a certain fondness. They are fairly good mysteries for young reader's, but since I'm hardly a young reader anymore, there were plenty of things that annoyed me (nothing that the average ten-year-old would notice of course).

For one thing, it seems like the only reason Mandie and Elizabeth like Uncle John is that he looks just like Jim. It makes me feel very, very sorry for Uncle John.
Danielle
This was one of my all-time favorite series as a young girl! I fell in love with reading when I began the Mandie series- words can not express the amount of joy and adventure that Lois Gladys Leppard brought to my life through these books!
Nicole
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
My 4 star rating is based on when I read this book years ago. I really enjoyed reading the Mandie Series and was very sad to learn that the author passed away before completing Mandie's story :(
Jerry
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great start to an apparently long series.
Karie Anne
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
BEST SERIES FOR LITTLE GIRLS IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!!
Cara
I remember reading these books when I was younger, and I'm re-reading them for nostalgia's sake. I loved them then, and it's a nice trip down memory lane for me.
Taliah
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book may have a sad beginning, but the wait is worth it. All the fun adventures, excapes and hikes are so exciting and will keep you at the edge of you seat!!
Abigail
Gosh I used to love this book. I'm not saying I don't love it now, it's just a different kind. It's the nostalgic kind that warms your heart a little. Because this book had a distinct impact on a younger me, and I will forever love it for that. But I can't deny that it isn't meant for this older me. I've outgrown it, so I will leave it to that younger me, who can love and cherish it always.

Mandie's still one of the pluckiest heroines in fiction, to me anyway. She goes through a lot but doesn't g
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Christian Historical Kid's Series 80s-90s [s] 3 272 Jul 28, 2015 09:57PM

• The Disappearing Stranger (Adventures of the Northwoods, #1)
  • The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #3)
  • Elizabeth Gail and the Secret Box
  • Pursued (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #3)
  • Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #3)
  • Changes for Samantha: A Winter Story (American Girls: Samantha, #6)
  • Elsie's Holidays at Roselands (The Original Elsie Classics #2)

Lois Gladys Leppard was the ever-popular and prolific writer of Mandie Books. She was also a professional singer, actress, and playwright. Lois studied at the New York School of Music and the Voice Beautiful Institute in New York under Glenn Morris Starkie. Additionally, she and her two sisters, Sibyl and Louise, sang professionally as the Larke Sisters and appeared in the operetta Bohemian Girl

Mandie (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Mandie and the Cherokee Legend (Mandie, #2)
  • Mandie and the Ghost Bandits (Mandie, #3)
  • Mandie and the Forbidden Attic (Mandie Books, #4)
  • Mandie and the Trunk's Secret (Mandie Books, #5)
  • Mandie and the Medicine Man (Mandie Books, #6)
  • Mandie and the Charleston Phantom (Mandie Books, #7)
  • Mandie and the Abandoned Mine (Mandie Books, #8)
  • Mandie and the Hidden Treasure (Mandie, #9)
  • Mandie and the Mysterious Bells (Mandie, #10)
  • Mandie and the Holiday Surprise (Mandie Books, 11)