Start by marking “Diary Of An Oxygen Thief (The Oxygen Thief Diaries #1)” as Want to Read:
Diary Of An Oxygen Thief (The Oxygen Thief Diaries #1)

Diary Of An Oxygen Thief

(The Oxygen Thief Diaries #1)

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  12,601 ratings  ·  1,519 reviews
Hurt people hurt people.

Say there was a novel in which Holden Caulfield was an alcoholic and Lolita was a photographer’s assistant and, somehow, they met in Bright Lights, Big City. He’s blinded by love. She by ambition. Diary of an Oxygen Thief is an honest, hilarious, and heartrending novel, but above all, a very realistic account of what we do to each other and what we
Published May 10th 2006 by NLVI Publishers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Diary Of An Oxygen Thief, please sign up.
Ashley Lynn The book is said to be "inappropriate" because of scenes with high sexual content and some violence. The main character, and narrator, is a sociopath.…moreThe book is said to be "inappropriate" because of scenes with high sexual content and some violence. The main character, and narrator, is a sociopath. Some people who don't have a high maturity level, or are not comfortable reading about those situations, may deem this book as too inappropriate to read. (less)

Iliana
Jul 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I loved how, throughout the book, the author said something along the lines of "if this gets published" or "if this ever sees the light of day" because really, how did this get published?
Alissa Kowalski
Jun 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: have-it, 2016
Without a doubt one of the worst books I have ever read. The narrator is a pretentious asshole with zero redeeming qualities. The whole "story" is 95% him complaining about how horrible his life is while the other 5% is how horrible he was treated by the girl he loves (and by love I mean obsesses over, thinks about hurting her, and then condemns her for doing the same thing to him that he's done to countless women before with very little remorse). Comparing this book to Catcher in the Rye and Lo ...more
Martha
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who can travel to the dark side
This is an honest, real, account of the legacy of pain, neglect and abuse. What was done to us, what motivates others to harm us, and what we allow them to do. The opening line "I liked hurting girls." grabbed me and the following pages made my heart pound as I realized that what was done to me in my lifetime was all documented in this diary. An alcoholic's account of his misogyny is brutal and hard to take at times but the author makes it easy to read because of his honesty, grace, introspectiv ...more
Jup
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have a feeling that the people who dislike this book have never had intentional, premeditated pain inflicted on them by someone the victim would describe as a "loved one". Anyone who has had this happen to them will need to put the book down a few times, perhaps unable to finish. That is only a testament to the truth of the writer's voice. It isn't flowery writing. There is nothing lovely about it. It is a little raw and a little ugly but that is how pain is put down on paper.
Scott
Jul 23, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2007
self-absorbed, masturbatory 'catcher in the rye' ripoff.
Lara
Apr 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Local Man Absolutely Cannot Take What He Gives, Spends Two Hundred Pages Trying To Convince You It's Everyone Else's Fault
Marissa Kepple
Jun 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
I have everything and nothing to say about this book. Did I enjoy it? No. A couple things; First off, to the author on the back of the book who compared this to F. Scott Fitzgerald but for the iPad generation, SHAME ON YOU. How dare you compare this garbage to one of the greatest authors of all time? Pitiful. Second, this is sort of to the parents. I work at a bookstore and was informed that the main age group buying this book is 13-15. Please for the love of all that is good, monitor your child ...more
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Did you like the emotionally disturbing/psychological train wreck that was Gone Girl? You may really enjoy this one. The Oxygen Thief may be the male equivalent to Amy Dunne. (view spoiler)

Diary of an Oxygen Thief is written as an actual diary by, as you can see above, Anonymous. The story starts in London. He's an alcoholic who discover
Nov 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Here’s the thing; I don’t normally review or rate the books I dislike, I don’t like bashing them, especially if the author is still alive. This one however, is an exception. And you may ask why, I’d tell you because this book pissed me off. Like. Really. Pissed me off.

I came across the very first lines of the novel by accident and it immediately caught my attention:

“I liked hurting girls.
Mentally, not physically, I never hit a girl in my life. Well, once. But that was a mistake. I’ll tell you a
*TANYA*
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book I was rooting for the villain in this one, hoping he would mend his wicked ways....great book!
Elizabeth Hashem
Aug 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
No stars. This book is absolute trash. I really try hard not to be so damning with reviews but this is honestly the worst book I have ever read. I think I am responding so intensely because I saw the demographic of people (read: impressionable young teens) that frequently requested this book and I am seriously appalled that so many of them have read it. It's an unapologetic and even romanticized account of a manipulative and narcissistic garbage dump of a person who hurts people without remorse ...more
Ayessa Mae
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
"Romance has killed more people than cancer. Okay...maybe not killed but dulled more lives."

katie van sleen
Jul 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
Holden Caulfield falls in love with Lolita. Are you fucking kidding me? The narrator was unbearable and the plot unrealistic for a supposed "true story". I kept thinking that the end would redeem it, but it was the worst part.
Ruby Dawson
Dec 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the worst book I have ever read. The narrative viewpoint is fun as its like an internal monologue; however, the storyline was tedious and drawn out.
Could comparatively make 50 Shades of Grey look like high brow literature.
Jenny Jo Weir
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know I'm probably not supposed to like this book but in reality its one of my favorites of the year. I couldn't believe it, mouth hanging open, aghast, and loved it!!!
Nefeli S.
Apr 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
How did this book get published? Seriously.
I only read it because i came across the first page of it on tumblr and i thought well, the person who wrote this must be sick but i want to find out if there is a reason behind what he's doing.

I like hurting girls. Mentally not physically, i never hit a girl in my life. Well once. But that was a mistake. I'll tell you about it later. The thing is, i got off on it. I really enjoyed it.

WHAT THE HELL???
You understand what kind of book it's going to be
Emad (TheBookCritic)
description

description

This was a terrible waste of paper!

I thought there would be some kind of philosophy behind all of those psycho thoughts and doings! But it turned out to be just that: a silly childish mindless dickhead bully venting about his obsession of hurting innocent girls! No more!

Disgusting.
Boring.
Siena Mirabella
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
3.75. When I first picked this book up almost a year ago, it really captured my attention. The beginning was strong and compelling, then towards the middle, it felt as if there was no direction and I couldn't figure where it was going. Therefore, I got distracted and hadn't picked it up again. I'm glad I picked it back up because the last third of this was excellent.

This should be a quick read and regardless of the anticlimactic midpoint, I definitely recommend you check this out. It has, in my
Alicia
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once you read this book, you'll be in constant search for another that is just like it. So incredibly truthful whether the actual story is fiction or nonfiction. I've never read a book quite like it, you'll be hating yourself for loving the narrator from start to finish.
Brandon Forsyth
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Yeah, count me in with those who don't really get the hype. There's nothing that feels particularly revelatory or well-written here, and the stream-of-consciousness jumping around time stuff gets wearying over the very slight 151 pages. Read SO SAD TODAY instead.
Beth Hudspeth
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads
I feel like this story has really great potential for someone who can weave in some more story line for this to become something spectacular. The fist page draws you in. I wanted to hear more of those horrible details, but actually got very few. This was just too rushed. In the hands of a wonderful fiction writer, I think this could be great.
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
When I saw this book sitting on the shelf, I was intrigued by the title, anonymous author, and weird cover. I googled the book and glanced at the mixed and controversial reviews and knew I had to buy it.

Basically, it's a book about a guy who emotionally abuses women and then gets his heartbroken by a woman in the end (not a spoiler, this is fully disclosed in the first pages). I wasn't sure whether this was going to be just an annoying story about some asshole or a deeper look into the human ps
Dan Bolden
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first began reading, I didn't know if I wanted to continue nor did I believe that I would like it in the end. A portrait of an awful human being, consumed in a lifestyle of booze and a dark heart, watching it turn on him left me feeling confused. A believer in, "you reap what you sow," I, ultimately, felt bad for a man who led a terrible existence. I don't like what it might imply about me and my own view of acceptance and redemption, but I think the author captured lightening in a bottle ...more
Amy
After reading this book, I have no doubt as to why this author chose to stay anonymous. I'm not one who has to like the character/characters in a book to enjoy it, and I do have an interest in the human condition, but the author's misogynist bullshit was difficult for me to digest. Initially, you are led to believe that he is looking for some sort of redemption, or at the very least, owning his behavior in an attempt to change it. Sadly, no. I doubt I would finish this one if it was any longer t ...more
Devin
May 24, 2018 added it
I'm not giving this a rating because I honestly have no idea what to think of this book.
Lisa
Jul 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
I didn't finish this book. I'm sorry I started it. A couple of teens came to my library and requested it. Their school librarian wouldn't purchase. Libraries aren't meant to restrict. I did a bit of research and while the subject matter wasn't my cup of tea, there were no warnings or restrictions on it.
When it arrived I thought I should at least try to read it, which I did.

The narrator likes to hurt girls, not physically. He drinks too much. He works out how to lure a girl in, make her fall in
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
So good that I had to force myself to put it down. I kind of kept thinking I was just waiting for the story to start, but the writing was just like having a conversation that I couldn't interrupt. It also helped that I met the author (or so he said, being Anonymous it's hard to tell, except that the man I met actually was Irish and living in New York so I suppose maybe his story lines up) so I had a kind of face and personality to put with the character already. Either way... I was very glad tha ...more
Hilary Waltz
Dec 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: honesty brokers
Honesty is such a valuable commodity these days it should be listed on the stock exchange.
First there was A Woman in Berlin and then Go Ask Alice. Now there's Diary Of An Oxygen Thief. One of the scarier side-effects of spending time with this narrator is that you catch yourself identifying with him. It really does feel like you're reading someone's diary. It's got the makings of a cult classic and yes, a great film too.

Aseel
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
This book was actually quite interesting to read, I surprisingly didn’t hate the main character aha probably because the book was so short

I found that I kept wanting to read so I could finally figure out what was happening which was nice

I’m probably not going to read the next book though
Grace
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
"What you do comes back to you with twice the force... We are not punished for our sins. We are punished by them."
I have no idea what to say. As someone who has recently had their heart-broken, I had a pen in my hand to underline so many things in his book. So much of this novel was hard to read. For 2/3 of the book I was incredibly conflicted. The narrator of this book is narcissistic, over-bearing, and down-right arrogant. Yet I somehow felt sorry for him.
The narrator of this novel has stru
protagonist 1 9 Dec 04, 2017 02:13PM
oh yeah? 5 102 Nov 07, 2017 11:31AM
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 73 - Diary of an Oxygen Thief 4 38 May 22, 2017 10:36PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Diary Of An Oxygen Thief 1 9 Jan 09, 2017 10:27PM
Mentor Texts: Mentor Text 2 1 6 Nov 13, 2016 05:24PM
  • Lady Lazarus
  • Edwin Mullhouse: The Life and Death of an American Writer 1943-1954 by Jeffrey Cartwright
  • The Case of the Reluctant Rock Star (The Mistress Files)
  • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
  • Ether
  • The Avian Gospels, Book I
  • Engagiert Euch! Stéphane Hessel im Gespräch mit Gilles Vanderpooten
  • Gabriele D'Annunzio: Poet, Seducer, and Preacher of War
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.

The Oxygen Thief Diaries (2 books)
  • Chameleon On A Kaleidoscope (The Oxygen Thief Diaries #2)
“They say the sea is actually black and that it merely reflects the blue sky above. So it was with me. I allowed you to admire yourself in my eyes. I provided a service. I listened and listened and listened. You stored yourself in me.” 64 likes
“Hurt people hurt people more skillfully. An expert heartbreaker knows the effect of each incision. The blade slips in barely noticed, the pain and the apology delivered at the same time.” 56 likes