Start by marking “The Thyroid Solution: A Revolutionary Mind-Body Program for Regaining Your Emotional and Physical Health” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  247 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
It's sometimes called a hidden epidemic: One in ten Americans--more than twenty million people, most of them women--has a thyroid disorder. At any given time, millions of people have an undiagnosed thyroid disorder and experience a chronic mental anguish that almost certainly arises from the very same source. Yet many primary-care doctors still don't recognize the importan ...more
Published December 26th 2007 by Ballantine Books (first published June 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Thyroid Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thyroid Solution

Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, creditials, This guy has them. next, he is very thorough in addressing all things thyroid. I chose to read this book because I realized the other day that I have had thyroid disease for about 10 years and have just been blindly taking synthroid. yes, there is so much more to know about how it affects my body. I was happy to learn so much at the same time being angry at my doctor that he didn't explain any of this to me. If you are a family member has thryoid issues, this is a must ...more
Cori
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and am now on medication. I am still dealing with many symptoms of Thyroid Disease, and was hoping this book could help connect the dots. It did. So glad I read it. Now back to the doctor.
Sharon
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When a recent series of lab tests revealed that I was hypothyroid, I contacted a nurse practitioner friend and asked her what books she might recommend. She told me that Dr. Arem's book was not only the one she recommended to her patients, but the one she kept in her office. I now understand why.

Before I was even given my medications, I was able to better understand my disease ... and to see how many times I had been diagnosed with another ailment because the symptoms of hypothyroid are so simil
Deb
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-medical
After having my thyroid removed, I noticed different things going on that doc never warned me about. Things I had begun to attribute to 'getting older'. After reading this book - I bawled for hours! It wasn't my fault after all! They were just things doc never warned me might happen. I felt SO much better after realizing some of the changes I was experiencing were not 'in my mind' and were directly related to the absence of a Thyroid.

I've recommended or loaned this book to many friends who are b
Books Ring Mah Bell
What did I learn from this book?
NEVER underestimate the power of the endocrine system. Seriously, a little chemical imbalance can wreak havoc on your system. (just ask Paula Abdul or Gary Busey)

I learned that many doctors will check only T4 levels. Testing should include specific checks of T3 ( a thyroid chemical found in the synapse of the nerve cell) and TSH. Together, these results give a clear picture as to what is going on in your system.

This book is well written and VERY through. The auth
Anne-Marie
I know every big girl wanna talk about "It's my Thyroid!" but it really is my thyroid. According to this book, every problem that I've ever had is because I'm hypothyroid and, well, that's good enough for me. The Thyroid Solution is twelve years old though so there might have been some new medical advances since then but I don't care. I'm just going to take my levothyroxine and watch all my troubles melt away. You should get your thyroid checked too.
Cécile
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I quickly jumped to the diagnosing and treating part, and I'm glad I did! Like others have pointed out, the first three parts on "how a tiny endocrine gland intimately affects your mood, emotions and behavior", "common emotional and physical interactions", and "your symptoms are not all in your head" (focused on women's thyroid problems) repeat each other quite a bit (at least, it feels that way!) So I'd recommend starting the book page 231, where the author explains you could be hypothyroid eve ...more
Erin
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was just recently diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, so I was kind of interested in reading this book. There was some good information in it, but I felt like the book repeated a lot and most of it could have been said in about half the time. Also, I think the author/doctor blames EVERYTHING that could possibly be wrong with you on your thyroid, when that is not necessarily true. Then as I was reading it I was thinking, "Wait, do I have these symptoms? Maybe I do!" and I started imagining s ...more
Nathalie
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
If you read this book; everyone could have a thyroid issue and it is the reason for many of the modern world health problems. Nevertheless, the book provides a lot of useful information to understand the thyroid for those already diagnosed with such issue and with some indication on how to best support your health. I would however recommend further reading. Lastly the advice on nutrition are to my opinion too vague and not relevant to everyone.
Nicole Smith
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I did think there was a great deal of information that was needed in this book. At times the amount of information was confusing. I think the author did well in trying to address the average person and keep things at a layman's level of understanding--which I needed. I just was distracted by the amount of information--it's a lot to wade through.
Rachel Meyers
This book was helpful, but it is called the Thyroid "Solution" and there wasn't much in the book about how to solve thyroid problems. The last 30 pages or so deal with solutions but the rest of it is how to diagnose and symptoms etc. I actually didn't finish the book, but I want to eventually so I can get to the solution part :)
Belinda
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
While the book has valid information it did one thing that really annoyed me, it focused on Graves and Hashi's and left goitre patients hanging in the wind. As a three post operative goitre patient, I am still looking for the reasons why my thyroxine isn't stable. This book doesn't really help and totally made no reference to calcium issues from impared parathyroid function. Disappointed.
Bridgett
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hypothyroidism
This book really taught me a lot about thyroid problems and furthered my speculation that I have been "subclinically" hypothyroid for years. I didn't always agree with the diet stuff or a few other things, but it was useful.
Shelley
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Not as informative as I'd hoped. Pretty much a rehash of what I'd already learned from my own doctors and WebMD. Way too much emphasis on physiological mental and emotional symptoms, which (thankfully) I haven't experienced.
Shanna Chu
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was reading this book, I kept telling myself: "That's me! That's me again." The book explained so many questions and problems I had. I think it's a very good learning material for ppl with thyroid probs.
Gayle
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
An extremely valuable, easy to read resource for anyone suffering from thyroid diseases (hyper or hypo). Good sections on diet and weight control, and clear explanations that you might not be getting from your doctor.
Stargazer
Seems pretty comprehensive - but as it is the only book i have read on this condition, havve nothing to compare it to.
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just reading bits. Highly dense & technical. Good info
Cy
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The best book on thyroid disorders I have ever read!
Nikko
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. Informative on Thyroid Disease
Ali Crain
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-wellness
Much needed information to help me navigate this journey
Toka Western
Flipped through it
Wendy
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've read in a while!
Ausrune Vas
Nov 27, 2016 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Penny
May 26, 2011 added it
Interesting....helpful if you have this disease
Kate
I thought I was hypothyroid . . . but I guess I'm not, so I stopped reading it. :)
Michelle
The BEST book!
Leta
Jun 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite solution but good amount of research info is given about thyroid functions and deviation from normal range of work
Rhonda
Mar 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Pretty much everything I've heard and read from my doctor. Emphasis is on mental and emotional healh. Recommended to those who want to be more informed before they visit their medical doctor.
Karla
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful resource when you have been diagnosed with any degree of thyroid imbalance.
  • Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • The Thyroid Diet: Manage Your Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss
  • The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health � And What You Can Do About It
  • The Inflammation Syndrome: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies, and Asthma
  • From Fatigued to Fantastic!
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • The Diet Cure
  • The Grief Club: The Secret to Getting Through All Kinds of Change
  • Stop the Thyroid Madness
  • Art of the Slow Cooker: 80 Exciting New Recipes
  • Blood Sugar 101: What They Don't Tell You about Diabetes
  • The Lupus Book: A Guide for Patients and Their Families
  • The 3-Hour Diet (TM): How Low-Carb Diets Make You Fat and Timing Makes You Thin
  • Your Inner Physician and You: CranoioSacral Therapy and SomatoEmotional Release
  • Gluten-Free Girl Every Day
  • The Immune System Recovery Plan: A Doctor's 4-Step Program to Treat Autoimmune Disease
  • Strong Women Stay Young