Start by marking “Flannel Kisses” as Want to Read:
Flannel Kisses

Flannel Kisses

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  111 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The magical experiences of a cold and snowy winter's day are woven together with rhyming text and captured in vibrant illustrations. Children bundle into snowsuits and race outside into a sparkling world of white to build houses of snow bricks, catch snowflakes on their tongues, and make snow angels. Almost as much fun as playing in the snow is coming back indoors to toast ...more
Published September 29th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Flannel Kisses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flannel Kisses

Kathryn
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is such a simple story and yet it so fully captures the warmth of winter days--the rosy-cheeked fun of playing outside, the sweet, snuggly time of coming in and being dry and safe at home with Mom and Dad. It is just so deliciously cozy and made me feel all nostalgic!
Lisa Vegan
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all young children
Recommended to Lisa by: Lee
I’ve never read such an effective simple rhyme. It tells the story of a full winter day of a family with children and a dog. I love the intricate and colorful illustrations, especially some of the extra “busy” pictures of inside the house. Immediately after reading this, I read Marshmallow Kisses which is the same idea but with a summer theme.

I recommend reading these books together, even though there’s something to be said for reading each book during its own season. I hope that autumn and spr
Susan
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books-jp

It was almost too cruel. I saw this book while in Vermont at one of my favorite book stores in the world, Bear Pond Books, in Montpelier. And it was like - here I am, standing in one of my favorite haunts, tummy full of divine chocolate chip pancakes from always dependably consistently fabulous corner coffeeshop next door, and in my hand a book that plays into all my chuck it all and move to Vermont fantasies.
Harsh. Really Harsh.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I didn't really like this book so much. The pictures were two-dimensional and reminded me of my own (very mediocre) artwork. The story was fine but the traditional woman in apron and dress cooking dinner felt really old-fashioned which was very out of place with the modern toys. 3.5 stars for the cute story 1.5 stars for the illustrations. Over all 2.5 stars.
Alice Ball
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Very nostalgic of my own childhood. Lots of outdoor winter play followed by home cooked delicious food and warming by the fire. Simple text - two or three words a page. Simplistic, charming illustrations.
Mister David
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very homey in a Midwestern sense. Mom is always baking something, Dad wears flannel shirts, kids play in the snow. The illustrations have a primitive or amateurish-looking style.
Garren
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Winter coziness to the max!
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Flannel Kisses is about the adventures a young girl has with her family on a snowy day. She wakes up in her nice cozy flannel bed, and steps onto the cold floor. She has a hot breakfast and goes out into the cold snow. Throughout the story, there are numerous examples of contrasts in temperature. At the end of her day in the snow, the young girl crawls back in her soft flannel bed.
The illustrations are water color and are done in a cartoon style. On most of the pages, you can spot a cute little
Alyson
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The text is a poem, but the illustrations tell so much of a story that the brief words are enough. I loved books like this as a kid and still do: the painted illustrations are Grandma Moses-like in their country detail and show all the pleasures of a snowy day, inside (crafts and cooking) and out(building a snow kitchen and table, for example). Even the kids' artwork in the frames as the family ascends the stairs made me stop to study. Authentic and nostalgic feeling.
Deb
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this a few years ago with K. and seeing it in the snow/winter display reminded me it is a good length (under 100 words) for wee ones. Art has Tasha Tudor/Grandma Moses primitive country feel that I like. Good at evoking the feelings of winter and snow, something my children may never really get to experience in person as I did.
Julie Barrett
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Flannel Kisses by Brennan_ Linda Crotta - Takabayashi_ Mari
Rhyming children's book about a winter day and how the children dress and go out to play in the snow and come in for warmth and repeat.
Esme
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Rated by my 4 & 5 year old students.
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A short poem (two words or so per page) shows a family on a snowy day and all of the play and cozy togetherness they experience.
Anne Beier
Short sentences. Good for storytime.
Callista
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Written in the first, very beautiful cozy pictures. Perfect book for mid winter.
Michael D.
A good book for ESOL students. The book may also be used for science-weather.
Po
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
An enjoyable and cozy read, but the illustrations just aren't up to par for a kids book.
Bree
Apr 10, 2012
Beverly
Nov 16, 2014
Stacy
rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2013
Dec 13, 2014
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Sep 26, 2018
Linda
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Annie
Dec 04, 2014
Nancy
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Just out! The Birth of the United States.
Coming soon: Women of the Ocean State: 25 Rhode Island Women You Should Know and When Rivers Burned: The Earth Day Story.
I’m the author of a number of books for children, including The Black Regiment of the American Revolution (Moon Mountain Publishing, hardcover 2004, paperback 2005), a nonfiction book for intermediate readers, and the picture books, Flann