Start by marking “The New Psycho-Cybernetics: The Original Science of Self-Improvement and Success That Has Changed the Lives of 30 Million People” as Want to Read:

With over 30 million copies sold since its original publication in 1960, Psycho-Cybernetics has been used by athletes, entrepreneurs, college students, and many others, to achieve life-changing goals--from losing weight to dramatically increasing their income--finding that success is not only possible but remarkably simple. Now updated to include present-day anecdotes and ...more
Published December 3rd 2002 by Prentice Hall Press (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The New Psycho-Cybernetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Psycho-Cybernetics

Start your review of The New Psycho-Cybernetics: The Original Science of Self-Improvement and Success That Has Changed the Lives of 30 Million People
Mario Tomic
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There's just a few books that I re-read every year, and this is one of them. Close to a year ago I read the original version by Maxwell Maltz and this time I decided to check out the new one. Both are brilliant books, and I like the Dan Kennedy version a bit more as the few updates really make the book evergreen. HIGHLY recommended reading, this is a book that will change your life and help you make that identity shift that's necessary to achieve success in any area of life.
Eleanor
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: never-finished
The fundamental ideas are good, but it's moderately saturated with God references and "The Creator" and stuff that inches dangerously towards schools of thought that endorse not taking responsibility for your actions, which is severely contradictory to what I think he's trying to say. Also, the "New" ness of it just involves lengthy additional chapters / paragraphs that brag about how many people have used his book (but not always specifying how).

Good supplementary reading: The Mental Edge -
Jefferson F
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read in the field of psychology and identity. This book is a must read for anyone interested in personal development, understanding yourself and understanding others.
Brom Kim
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am rating this for originality and heft of ideas, not writing. This book may come across as a little cheesy, as it did for me, until I considered that it may be the origin, or at least a key 20th Century popularization, of important performance enhancing techniques, and that from my layman's point of view, said techniques and concepts remain as sound as ever against current neuro- and cognitive science.

Why was Lindsey Vonn, the gold medalist alpine skier, often seen, eyes closed in a silent,
Roxane Lapa
Dec 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Psycho Cybernetics is one of the original self help books on which most others are now based. It deals with the self-image and the role that it plays in a shaping a person's continued success or failure.

The author, Dr Maxwell Maltz, was a plastic surgeon who became interested in the dramatic personality changes of some of his patients after surgery. For many patients a physical defect (for example flappy ears) had imposed an artificial limit on the person's ability to succeed, and once the
Terry Kim
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read. If there is a "secret" to success and happiness this is the closest thing.

Psycho Cybernetics is a book written by a plastic surgeon turned author. The author noticed changes in patients life and personality or the lack of changes after the surgery. Patient would become a completely different person after a successful surgery but also surprisingly some patients stayed the same.

The discovery author has made is that it is our 'Self Images' of ourselves that
Bob Page
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I quote the book: 'Dr. J. B. Rhine, head of Duke University's Parapsychology Laboratory, has proved experimentally that man has access to knowledge, facts, and ideas, other than his own individual memory or stored information from learning or experience. Telepathy, clairvoyance, precognition have been established by scientific laboratory experiments. His findings, that man possesses some "extra sensory factor," which he calls "Psi," are no longer doubted by scientists who have seriously reviewed ...more
deleted d
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Maxwell Maltz Quotes: Psycho-Cybernetics and Self-Image https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAe8i...
- The self image is the key to change personality & behaviour, determines who we become, the outer matches the inner
- Self image is an imaginary you carry inside, effects your self talk
- Self image can help you see new possibilities, have better self talk/empowering thoughts
- Self image and habits go together. Changing one effects the other
- The battle is won in the mind, the rest is just
Kris
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book about how our perceptions create our reality. I recommend this to anyone who is wanting to change their lives in any way, shape or form. The author was a plastic surgeon and was able to change people's lives with a knife, but he learned that it took more than a change of the body to change someone's self image. It's an easy read and easy to follow book.
Charmaine
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life and my self-image and improved my self-esteem. This is one of the few books that I am going to keep on re-reading for the rest of my life.
Holly Hansen
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the most powerful and transformational books I have ever read.
I came across this book at at time in my life - where my world felt was filled with stress, anxiety, low self-esteem and more.
One of the key concepts that was truly healing was the idea of healing emotional scars with forgiveness. And there are plenty more ideas worth reading or listening to this book for.

What most people don't know - is that the original version of this book helped inspire and influence the
Daniel Taylor
The ceiling on your success is your self-image.

Fortunatey, this book shows you how to alter your self-image to truly reflect who you are, thereby letting your brilliance shine.

Alongside Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, it ranks as the best self-help book ever. Almost everything written in the field since is derivative to a greater or lesser extent. It's the kind of book destined to become a classic because it's ideas are easy-to-understand and simple to practice, and yet
Bob Livingston
Mar 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Gautam
A very insightful book that expounds on the subconscious and conscious mode of action, on self image, and on how our subconscious mind is a goal striving servo-mechanism designated to achieve success. Not much of a clinical-jargon- ridden text but a very descriptive, common-sense kind of book, which also provides a series of mental excercies that prods you to ‘do’ and not just to think.
Avel Rudenko
Helps you to start embracing success. Even when the best strategy is within our grasp, we can still choose to reject it or embrace it, depending on how afraid we are of an unfamiliar healthy life. So if you're REALLY fed up with all the problems in your life that stem from your awful self-esteem, if you're honestly committed to finding a better existence, if you're ready to outsmart your fears, then this book will transform your life. It's just that simple. This book is too good to pass up. I ...more
Vlad Kitaynik
Nov 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Book has nothing common with BD in IT
Alexsolumgmail.com
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book to give you inspiration, motivation and insight into our own emotions. Practical tips and examples of how to apply methods to your life.
Ravi
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one is too prescriptive and tips and tricks are not my thing. MindGym is a better choice in this genre.
Mason Lawlor
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book supposedly created the self help genre- that's enough credibility for me. It was an incredible book!
Phillip
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how many times I've read this book. But, I've finished it again. I think the author has a lot to say about human nature. It is like a 280 page is it I've meme.
AbdulRahman AlHamali
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read self-help books, but that one is a must!
Ilib4kids
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
158.1 MAL 2002
PLAYER 158.1 MAL 2002
First published in 1960 by Dr. Maltz, who is the first researcher of self-image study. Dr. Maltz said the purpose of all psychotherapy is to build the self-esteem, which I totally agree.

Main point of this book
1. important of self-image.
2. truly be yourself with its own limits and errors and wonders, use logical conscious mind to analyze unreasonable not truly yourself standard, establish truly to yourself goals.
3. invoke automatic success mechanism (ASM),
Dblinkzz
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is one major problem with the teachings of this book, and it's not the authors fault but the people that follow this advice and believes in it, believes in visualizations as a means of just imagining something really cool happens to them, for example the author talks about (in the end of the book almost) about a guy who came back with him saying that these teachings won't do nothing and how this person religiously applied the teachings of visualizing things and they never came to reality ...more
Anthony
4.5 / 5

This one is interesting.

Firstly it was the first book I read on my eBook reader so I read it kind of slow. Initially, I was bored because the first part was essentially a testimonial to the effectiveness of the process. It seemed quite long, overly repetetive and not that convincing. As a young guy, I didn't know any of the successful people mentioned as vigorous practitioners of Psycho-Cybernetics. Then I reminded myself the original book was actually written almost 60 years ago.
Dianna
Jan 04, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Andrijana Vollmond
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read it for a week and then went away for the holidays and haven’t picked it up again but it’s by my bedside, which is why I’ve changed one of my spare rooms into my yoga/mantra room where I have no tv, phone is usually at the opposite end of me and the side corner of my corner lounge where I sit and read. At the moment I’m reading ‘The Subtle Art of Not giving a FUCK! Love it. Sometimes I like to read in between books and enjoy two diff kinds. Usually a fun girly book and then something ...more
Sergiusz Golec
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
That's a self-help book from the plastic surgeon.

How do you see yourself?
Dr Maxwell Maltz made explicit relations between the perception of self and the outcomes we have. How we talk with ourselves. What we believe & at the end, the satisfaction and happiness.
Self-image or how we define our identity has a huge impact on our lives. And we can change the configuration to support our desired actions.

There are critical tools and exercises in that book.
It's as if I went through a surgery on my
Jessica Stark
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't dislike the book , but by the high reviews I thought I would read something unbelievable/ amazing/ very unsual. In the end, the book is about self image/self esteem and how what we think about ourselves create our reality and make us stagnate or have sucess in life.

Maybe the reason I didnt like it so much is because I read a review here saying this book is not the
original New psycho cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz, instead, was written by Dan kennedy, and is based ot the original, not
Jeffrey
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mind, productivity
This is a decent book on the importance of setting goals and managing mental state in the attainment of goals.

The biggest take away I got from this book is to set an aim, take action toward that aim, and adjust actions taken over time to come closer and closer to the desired target.

Useful techniques were discussed for dealing with negative emotions / thoughts and maintaining motivation over time.
Joseph Santora
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm fascinated with the power of the mind. I've overcome a lot of adversity in my life. For a while, most of it by sheer willpower. Over the past few years I've been reading more about the mind, conscious, and subconscious, and am intrigued by the capabilities we have to "fix" ourselves. This book was incredibly helpful. Practical tools you can implement for reprogramming yourself. 5 stars and will be reading it again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Magic of Believing
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • Law of Success
  • Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!
  • As a Man Thinketh
  • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
  • Think and Grow Rich: A Black Choice
  • Goals!: How to Get Everything You Want Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement
“A human being always acts and feels and performs in accordance with what he imagines to be true about himself and his environment...For imagination sets the goal ‘picture’ which our automatic mechanism works on. We act, or fail to act, not because of ‘will,’ as is so commonly believed, but because of imagination.” 34 likes
“It is common knowledge among psychologists that most of us underrate ourselves, short-change ourselves, sell ourselves short. Actually, there is no such thing as a superiority complex. People who seem to have one are actually suffering from feelings of inferiority; their "superior" self is a fiction, a coverup, to hide from themselves and others their deep-down feelings of inferiority and insecurity.” 16 likes