Start by marking “Gilbert the Great” as Want to Read:
Gilbert the Great

Gilbert the Great

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  164 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
'From the time Gilbert the Great White Shark was a tiny pup, Raymond the Remora stuck to him like glue. Raymond was always on Gilbert's side.' Then one day, Gilbert wakes up to discover that Raymond has gone. Mrs Munch does everything she can to help her little shark come to terms with his loss and - slowly but surely - Gilbert learns to smile a wobbly smile through his sa ...more
Published 2005 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Gilbert the Great, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gilbert the Great

Hugh Stuart
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a childhood shark nut I would have been delighted if this wonderful story about a young great white shark who loses his friend had been around. But it wasn't so I had to make do with stories about anthropomorphic bears and giants and dragons and so on. Poor Gilbert loses his remora friend and attempts to deal with the feelings of loss and sadness. Along the way he meets another remora who has lost her friend and bound together by separation anxiety the two become fast friends. The story deals ...more
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gilbert is a Great White Shark and Raymond the remora is his best friend. They have been together through thick and thin as long as they both can remember. Until one day when Gilbert's mom tells him he has to move away. Raymond cannot go, he has to stay with his family so both of them are very, very sad.

Their moms both help them through their sadness and in the end both of them have learned to adjust and make new friends.

This is the perfect book if your child has to move to a new place or has
Ali
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
another kohl's cares book to add to the list of kohl's cares and children books I have read! this was an adorable story about a great white shark who loses his best friend because his friend had to move a way. I could see it being a great story to read to your child if their friend has to move and to help the understand, that even though it is tough and hard to lose a friend because they have to move, they will make new friends, and be able to have fun with them too! I really liked how sweet and ...more
Lyndsay-ann
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
OK. This book was beyond ridiculously cute! It's about a young great white shark and his best friend the remora. It tells of their adventures together and the remora needing to move away. Sad over loosing his friend, Gilbert eventually meets another remora and makes a new friend.

The art in the book is so well done. Cute exppressive images. There is some cheekyness in them, but the best scene is that of Gilbert and his mom visiting The Wreck. It's a sunken fishing boat named Orca. ;)
Rubi
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's cute but.....the Shark didnt cope very well and spent most of the book pining. Yes, it's sad to lose a friend but kids still try fun things and another lonely kid doesn't always prove a solution. But artwork was nice and still a cute little story of friendship. I like that they didnt make the shark a bad guy 😊
Sara
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gilbert and Raymond are best friends, but Raymond has to move away. This is the story of Gilbert, as he adjusts to not having Raymond with him anymore, and learning to make new friends. Adorable illustrations and a beautiful story. Really cute!!!
Gina
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Reasonable book about having your best friend move. There is one big coincidence in the resolution, but not too bad. Mainly, it takes time and kindness from others, and that's about right.
Georgia Keating
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gilbert The Great is a book all about friendship and how lonely you can feel after losing a friend. This book could appeal to all ages as the emotional side of it affected me now at 20.

I would aim this book at year 2/3 as some of the concepts may be difficult to understand any younger. This book could be used throughout key stage 2 as some of the themes could apply to older ages appealing to situations they may have gone through recently.

I would use this in the classroom across the curriculum.
Ali Wilcox
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gilbert the Great is an extremely cute story about having to deal with a best friend moving away. Gilbert, who is a great white shark, was best friends with a remora fish named Raymond. They were inseparable until the day that Raymonds family decided to move across the ocean. Gilbert was not sure what he would do without his best friend. In the end, Gilbert finds another remora fish who becomes his new friend. This is definitely a story that would appeal to children because all kinds of differen ...more
Cole Hudziak
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I read a book called Gilbert the Great. It was a sad but it turned out in the end. This book is about friendship and it is a very good book. I thought that it would be a non-informing book but it taught me that there isn’t just one friend there is a lot many fish in the sea. You can’t always have your heart set on one person, you can pick and choose.

There is this shark named Gilbert that had a best friend for a long time his name was Raymond and he was always by Gilbert's side. Then one day, Ra
Melissa Macfarlane
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Gilbert the great is a tale of a shark who looses his best friend. The story deals with loss and how when a friend moves away it is ok to mourn them or to be sad, angry or to cry. The story then goes on to explain that there are always new friends to be made, but it states that just because you have made a new friend, they are not necessarily replacing your old friend. Your old friend and all the fun times you spend with them will be forever in your memory, therefore they are never completely go ...more
Tricia
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gilbert is a family favorite (also starring in "Gilbert in Deep") due to the shark fanatics in the family. Lovable Gilbert is deeply saddened when his friend Raymond the Remora relocates. Children will easily empathize with his emptiness after his friend has moved, especially if they've experienced the same loss. Gilbert's mother is a gentle and reassuring character who encourages him. Illustrations perfectly mesh with the story and endear the reader to the characters. I was happy to see a recen ...more
Alex Housman
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5-picture-books
Gilbert and Raymond are two best friends, they do everything together. One day Raymond's family has to move away, Gilbert the shark is struggling with the change. Playing, school, nothing is the same without his friend. When Gilbert's mother took him to eat lunch he spotted a fish that looked just like Raymond, and she was crying. She was sad because her mother made her leave her shark behind. The two played fin ball and became great friends! This is a fun read aloud book, the illustrations are ...more
Mia Balsamo
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
PB9: This is a perfect book for any child who has had a friend that moved away. So many children have to deal with the sadness of losing a close friend during childhood and this book is a great way for children to see that you can get past the sadness and that there will always be more friends that a person can make. It is a very simple story that is not hard to understand, so I think it is fitting for most children. I was happy to see that Gilbert does not stay sad throughout the whole story, b ...more
Catherine Johnson
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a classic picture book. It has great, simple characters. It starts with an introduction to the characters. There is a build up of the relationship between Gilbert the shark and Raymond the remora. Then the first problem comes in (won't give it away). It shows a good relationship with his mom, which is good as a role model. She tries to help him with his problem and in the end he has what he started with, the same but different. Really nice illustrations too.
Meegan
Jun 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book has great illustrations, but the story line is boring! There are witty phrases and words, but there isn’t a climax. It first appealed to me because it was about sharks. So of course being obsessed with sharks, I bought it without a second opinion. Now, I wish I had had a second opinion. If I had to recommend this book, I would give it to girls and boys between the ages of four to seven.
Sally
May 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: the-wee-ones
My 3yo son really loved this book but I did not! From an adults perspective I found it did not engage me at all. The story is a little too long and the writing is bland. But as I say, my son loved it so it doesn't really matter what I think! I just thought it was worth mentioning as I love reading with my son and often enjoy many picture books as much as he does but I didn't like this one.
Shay
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very simple story about Gilbert, a shark, having to deal with his best friend Raymond, a remora, moving away. Gilbert is super-sad, blames himself and eventually meets a new friend. The drawings are great. It's a quick read straight-through or you can ask your child what will happen next or how they might deal with a similar situation. 2 thumbs up!
Anna
This book would be good for children going through transitions with friends or family. If children are moving away or when getting news students. It also talks about feelings of loss and anger when losing friends.
Lippy
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
My son and I love this book, it's so sweet, the illustrations are beautiful, very cute....my son thinks this shark is named after him and loves pointing out each time his name appears on the page (he's only three) a sad story, with a happy ending.
Beth
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to lie, this book made me tear up a little. It's a great little story about two best friends who are forced to separate (one moves) and Gilbert, who is left behind, is completely crushed. Good for kids to teach them how to deal with losing a friend and making new ones.
Huda
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: en-pic-books
أوليست جميع القروش مفترسة؟
Lucia Benzor
Sep 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Good to read when children have friends that move away. You make new ones like Gilbert! A very sweet story.
Po
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
A cute story about a shark whose friend is moving away. There are several different types of sharks in the story.
Ashley
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sharks, moving-away
Good to read to children who have friends move away. A very sweet story about making new friends.
Vaishali
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, childrens-books
Awww~ Gilbert finds a new friend when his old best friend moves away!
katy
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
das Buch ist total niedlich *-*
Cassie
Gilbert and Raymond do everything together. But one day Raymond has to move away with his family. Poor Gilbert has a terrible time cheering up until he makes a new friend.
Elisha Brazeale
Aug 29, 2014
Wendy
Aug 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
See also pseudonym Hayley Daze.

Jane was born 17 December 1954 and brought up in Kettering, Northamptonshire, England. From 1972 to 1975 Jane attend the University of Birmingham where she earned a combined Bachelor of Arts with honours in archaeology and history. In 1981 she completed a PhD in archaeology from University College London.

On 5 November 1977 Jane married Chemical Engineer Martin Clarke