Start by marking “What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second-Grade Education Revised (Core Knowledge Series)” as Want to Read:

What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second-Grade Education Revised (Core Knowledge)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
Published July 13th 2013 by Delta (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about What Your Second Grader Needs to Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Your Second Grader Needs to Know

JP
May 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I used to think we needed a checklist to validate educational progress. Although this did convey the level of understanding, it very quickly turned me off from the Core Knowledge approach to education. The first impression matches what we see in most modern textbooks. The fonts are big, the topics arbitrary, and the treatment simplistic. With text like this for children and their mentoring parents (how many !'s does one need?), it's no wonder our educational establishment is in trouble. Get your ...more
Waterbird
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I had this back in the 1990s when I was young and actually a second grader. Loved it for years and eventually gave it away with the hope that some other second grader would love it as much as I did. It had short stories, general knowledge, information on music and math. It was my go-to reference book, it was BEFORE Google.

I was recently checking the books at my job and I saw it! I cheered inside and opened it aaaaaaand- what? Not the same. Where is the story of Anansi the spider? Oh well, this i
Melissa
May 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As a mom with an education degree, I have found this book is a great way to supplement my child's education. We read it at bedtime and it is set up perfectly for a quick read. The book is separated into different areas of curriculum (math, science, music, geography, etc.). There are also activities you can do with your child. I don't have time during the school year for them but they are great activities to do during the summer when we all need something different to do. By reading it only at be ...more
Purl Scout
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been using this and its 3rd grade counterpart as one of many tools in this, our first year of homeschool. We use them off an on as they've applied in our overall lessons and as a source for our read-aloud time for history and world studies. The Core Knowledge books flow well from one topic to the next and introduce material easily and in a cohesive way. I've been successful making the material a jumping off point for the further explorations on our subjects.
Amy
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
We've been using this series to help guide our homeschooling path. I don't love everything about it but hey - it works for us and we just add and subtract to personalize things. I was actually pretty impressed with the sections on ancient greece history and mythology in this edition. I am not educated on that subject but I felt they were written well and right on target for my daughter's knowledge and interest level.
Anita
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a core knowledge sequence book. Core Knowledge is a school of home based curriculum developed by E.D. Hirsch. He had the right idea on how to educate children. I love everything he writes. If any one is looking for additional curriculum for what your kids don't learn when you send them to school this is a great resource.
Melanie Olson
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I LOVE this series of books! I use them for our summer "school" sessions at home. They are great preparation for the school year ahead. I recommend them whenever I can, and I'm willing to loan them. :)
Kristy
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's hard to figure out how to rate the books in this series. I do like them, I like their explanations, I like what they include for the most part, but I'm not about to read aloud from them and call that our education. They can come in handy.
Timber
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
As a homeschool teacher, I love the Core Knowledge series. I especially like the history and literature sections of this book, and I love how the series builds on itself as the grades progress.
James
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good all round guide - we're using this series as a way to help us keep out homeschool lessons targeted to the right level.
Glenn
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
See review for Cultural Literacy
Emma Elsie
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was good
Nav
Nov 13, 2015 added it
A delightful read and so much to take back to the classroom.. Highly recommend it to the elementary teachers
Cacey Hopper
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great school resource, highly recommend for anyone homeschooling!
Mary
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I use as a reference book.
Diana
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I will be adding these books to my collection!
Melinda
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Basic guide to information and topics to explore with second grade learners.
Shannon
Jun 30, 2013
Stephanie  Abney
Jul 30, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
  • The Homeschooling Handbook
  • The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • The Educated Child: A Parents Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
  • The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1  2
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • So You're Thinking About Homeschooling: Fifteen Families Show How You Can Do It
  • Homeschooling for Excellence
  • The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation Into the Prison of Modern Schooling
  • Learning All The Time
  • Homeschooling: The Teen Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 13- to 18- Year-Old
  • You Can Teach Your Child Successfully Paperback
Eric Donald Hirsch, Jr. (born March 22, 1928) is an American educator and academic literary critic. Now retired, he was until recently the University Professor of Education and Humanities and the Linden Kent Memorial Professor Emeritus of English at the University of Virginia. He is best known for his writings about cultural literacy.
More about E.D. Hirsch Jr....

Core Knowledge (9 books)
  • What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: Read-Alouds to Get Ready for Kindergarten (Core Knowledge)
  • What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning
  • What Your First Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good First-Grade Education
  • What Your Third Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Third-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of A Good Fourth-Grade Education
  • What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Fifth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • What Your 6th Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Sixth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • Books to Build On: A Grade-By-Grade Resource Guide for Parents and Teachers