Start by marking “The Mother” as Want to Read:
The Mother

The Mother

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  2,548 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
192 pages
Published 1991 by Mandarin (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Mother, please sign up.
Martinilla91 It was first published in 1934. There's a small biography in one of Buck's novels I've got.

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Mother, Pearl S. Buck
The Mother is a novel by Pearl S. Buck published in 1934. Within this novel Ms. Buck paints the portrait of a poor woman living in a remote village whose joys are few and hardships are many. As the ancient traditions, which she bases her philosophies upon, begin to collide with the new ideals of the communist era, this peasant woman must find a balance between them and deal with the consequences. ...
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 1977 میلادی
عنوان: مادر؛ نویسنده: پرل باک؛ مترجم:
Obsidian
I really did enjoy this one. I thought that Buck had a good handle on the characters. The main reason why I didn't give this five stars though is that I was confused about the timeline and location of this book. I know that it takes place in China. But the way things are written I would have guessed earlier than what the book shows. The book ends with talk of communism and people being executed for it. So I was wondering what time period this takes place in when I got to the end. I also wish tha ...more
Ahmed
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, translated, social
قراءة أولى لا بأس للمؤلفة "النوبلية"
رواية عادية جدا ربما تحدث في أي مكان في دول العالم الثالث مع بعض التغييرات
وصفت كفاح الأم ومعاناتها بطريقة درامية لكننى لم أتأثر كثيرا
Petra
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mother (never named) is a strong and capable woman. She works in the fields to provide for her family, while taking care of home, children and mother-in-law alone. She saves face in the village after a devastating event, she carries on. Throughout she enjoys her children as they grow.
Behind the story of a peasant woman in the country, is the changing China. Communists are coming, the traditions aren't as secure & stable. The Mother moves from young generation to the elder generation.
Bas
Kim
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
If I wasn’t already familiar with Pearl Buck’s writings, I might not have enjoyed this book as much I did. Compared to some of my favorites - The Good Earth, The Living Reed, Pavilion of Women - this one is less focused and less cohesive, and I would not advise someone new to this author to start here. The overall story is very simple. (view spoiler) ...more
Noce
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La prossima volta vi mando mia mamma

Troppi libri in casa mia.

Lo dice mia mamma che è stufa di vedersene attorno così tanti, lo dice mio padre che quando cerca un libro non sa da dove iniziare a guardare per trovarlo, lo dico io che vado a sbattere contro le pile che partono da terra in camera mia.

In effetti, è anche comprensibile: sommando gli 82 anni di un vorace lettore, per di più appassionato di storia, agli 84 di una vorace lettrice, per di più insegnante per quasi cinquant’anni, e aggiunge
Ensiform
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, china
This novel concerns a peasant woman, a mother of three, whose husband is a gambler and libertine. One day, after a quarrel, he leaves her. To avoid shame, she pretends he is at work in a city, and as the years go by, pretends he is dead. It's a depressing tale in many ways, because the woman's brief affair brings her, in her mind and in reality, much trouble. However, it ends on a note of hope, as the family cycle is continued and the Chinese peasant's conception of fulfillment is granted.

Buck w
Huy
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nobel
Cảm động, dù Pearl Buck không hề có ý định đề cao tình mẫu tử. Chỉ là một câu chuyện về một kiếp người, trong một xã hội mà người phụ nữ chịu quá nhiều thiệt thòi. Pearl Buck đặc biệt hiểu văn hóa Trung Hoa, thậm chí hiểu cả cái cách người ta dèm pha, cái cách những người dân quê hay buôn chuyện, cái cách người ta sợ tiếng xấu hơn là tự đi tìm hạnh phúc, điều này cũng không khác Việt Nam là mấy.
arcobaleno
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amara, tristissima attesa!
Mi sono imbattuta quasi per caso in questo romanzo, ma ho potuto gustare una buona lettura. Il racconto procede con un ritmo pacato e una scrittura scarna; senza giri di parole né ampollosità; assolutamente privo di retorica; con una semplicità che tuttavia continua ad alimentare l’interesse, adattandosi perfettamente alla onesta essenzialità delle esistenze. Una storia di miserie familiari, di persone prive perfino di un nome e di una tomba sulla quale piangere, in u
Guillermo Gonca
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En ocasiones las novelas nos ofrecen un superhéroe en lugar de un protagonista; un ser capaz de superar todo tipo de dificultades, y de derrotar a todo tipo de personajes siniestros; un ser que difícilmente podríamos llamar “humano”. Tal particularidad se vuelve más notoria cuando se trata de un personaje femenino lleno de voluntad y fortaleza espiritual.

Pues bien, este no es el caso de la protagonista de “La madre”, una de las primeras novelas de la escritora estadounidense Pearl S. Buck (gana
zain.
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
لقد أحسست بكل مأساة تعرضت لها هذه الأم والتي تتحلى بكل صفات الأمومة.
أولا زوجها وابنتها الكفيفه و ف الأخير ابنها الأصغر وكمية الانتظار والصبر لديها.
رواية رائعة تذكرنا دائما و ابدأ ب أهمية الأم.
شكرا بيرل باك.
Selma
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baš u stilu Pearl Buck. Život se vrti u krug, danas djevojčica i kćerka, sutra odrasla žena, majka i supruga, zatim starica i baka, i ono što nam danas izgleda daleko, ustvari je jako blizu.
Dina
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On what is a mother ready to do, a great story of ancient times. I recommend this book, you can compare then and now.
George Berguño
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been posting reviews on Goodreads for three years, and I have concentrated mainly on writing about lesser known short story collections. Thus far I have steered clear of novels, but I’m going to make an exception with Pearl S Buck’s The Mother because it is a thoroughly captivating book which has convinced me I need to read everything that this author has ever written.

I should tell you first that earlier this summer (2015) I read The Good Earth, widely considered to be Pearl S Buck’s mas
Amanda Lila
I am torn between a three and a four star. Maybe that's what all the goodreaders feel when they ask for half-star ratings.

The Mother was a book with a writing that was simple, straightforward but yet quite unique. The story captivated me and I finally managed to deviate the reading slump coming my way.

A book full of injustice, don't you think? The husband of this family is a good-for-nothing asshole; who contantly refers to their children as hers and keeps blaming her for the pregnancies that
Nata
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un limbaj simplu, dar profund, o viață tipică de la țară, în unul din sătucurile din China . O mamă dătătoare de viață care-și acceptă condiția și menirea. O mamă care poate ține loc și de tată, poate face toată muncă pe lângă casă, poate să îndure tristeți și păcate. O mamă care înafară de a-și lucra pământul, a-și îngriji copiii, și a spera de la o zi la alta că-i revine soțul de mult timp plecat, nu știe să se concentreze pe altceva, decât pe toată orânduirea vieții de la țară.

O carte tristă
Encarni Prados
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ya le tenía ganas a esta mujer y, aunque me ha gustado bastante, me ha parecido que estaba viendo un culebrón chino. La historia está llena de penurias que la pobre protagonista no tiene más remedio que ir salvando, es una mujer fuerte y, quitando que es bastante triste, es un libro precioso, escrito con una narración muy sencilla pero no por ello menos interesante, quizás no me ha llegado tanto porque no estoy en un momento para leer muchas penas pero el libro es bueno y merece ser leído. Lo re ...more
Janet Aileen
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely prose, descriptions of setting, and development of characters. Masterful, as usual....but such bleak, unrelenting lives.
Ayman Zaaqoq
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
إذا اجتمعت قصة ممتازة مع ترجمة ممتازة بين دفتي كتاب واحد فالقارئ بلا شك سيحلق فوق السحاب. لم أقرأ منذ زمن رواية تخطف الأنفاس و مترجمة ترجمة أدبية رفيعة كهذه الرواية. و منذ قرأت "الأرض الطيبة" منذ حوالي عشرين علما و أنا منبهر بأسلوب "بيرل بك" الرشيق و الدقيق، وهذا العمل يؤكد أن "الأرض الطيبة" لم تكن ضربة حظ أو رمية بغير رامٍ.
تصور هذه الرواية حياة فلاحة صينية، بل حياة فلاحة شرقية، وهذا لأنك ستفاجأ – مثلما ستفعل حال قراءتك "الأرض الطيبة" – بتشابه العادات بل و الشقاء و التفاني بين الفلاح المصري و ال
Edith
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A STORY. This book came out after “The Good Earth” and follows the life of a passionate Chinese peasant mother. Early in the story, her husband leaves her with no explanation and she is left to care and provide for the family. She also has pride and desires to uphold her dignity in the hamlet where she lives, so she makes decisions that seem best to her, but they greatly complicate her life.

Pearl Buck wrote this novel soon after “The Good Earth” but she did not think it was good. She consi
بسام عبد العزيز
لم اجد أي شيء مميز بخصوص هذه الرواية.. الأحداث تبدو لي غاية في الواقعية للدرجة التي تسقط بها في مستنقع "التسطح و التبسيط الشديد" كثيرا..

الرواية تتحدث عن حياة زوجة و كيف تربي أولادها في احدى قرى الصين..و لكن مع ذلك تبدو الأحداث "عالمية" بالشكل الذي يجعلها تنطبق على أي أسرة ريفية في أي مكان في العالم.. و اعتقد ان هذا هو السبب الذي جعل الكاتبة لم توضح اسماء أية شخصية من شخصياتها تقريبا..
التسطيح المخل يأتي من فكرة الأحداث الأساسية... شاب يتزوج فتاة.. يكونان أسرة .. يعملان في الحقل.. ينجبان.. يكبر أط
Connie (Ava Catherine)
This is the story of a Chinese peasant mother living in a remote hamlet in pre- revolutionary communist China. The mother lives in poverty and desperation believing that the sorrows of her life are the result of her sins. Her husband leaves her to raise the three children, tend the farm, and care for his old mother. The mother is deeply shamed by her husband's desertion, so she lies about it. This is a very depressing narrative; however, it gives the reader a glimpse into the customs of Chinese ...more
George
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ipad, pearl-buck
MASTERFULLY TOLD TALES OF WOE.

”I swear if they measured up the joy and sorrow I have had in my whole life the sorrow would sink the scales like stone …”

Nobody writes sadness and sorrow, misery and grief, hardship and despair as compellingly as Pearl S. Buck. In her novel, The Mother mental smiles are rare to non-existent, while anguish is rife. Leaves one wondering who ever came up with a phrase like ’the joys of motherhood’. I know who it wasn’t.

Recommendation: Not for the depressed, nor for st
Shanna
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book it an amazing look at a peasants life when the japense attacke. Bucks writing is so good that she actually calls the character The Mother never giving her a name. It really showed how insignificant her life was seen by the other characters. It was also a book that showed how extrodiary and dignified she really was during her life. You feel a saddness because it would be such a hard life without recognition or romantic love.
Semih Eker
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kütüphane
Adının hakkını vererek, annelik figürünün ön planda tutulduğu bir eser olmuş. İnsan okurken kendi annesinden veya çevresindeki annelerden bir çok şeyi kitaptaki ana figüründe bulabiliyor.

Daha önce eser hakkında araştırma yaparken oldukça iç karartıcı olaylar olduğunu okumuştum, evet bu konuda içiniz acıdığı bir çok bölüm görebiliyorsunuz. Bununla birlikte gerek psikolojik analizler gerekse coğrafik analizler olarak oldukça başarılı bulduğumu söyleyebilirim.
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mă rog. Sînt foarte indignată. Din cauza acțiunii cărții, nu din cauza scriiturii. Cît era ea de țărancă, să nu existe o diferentță între iubire și patimă? Să-l fi iubit pe bărbatu-său chiar după ce lua banii de la gura copiilor lor? Cred, totuși, că acolo lipseau niște nuanțe.

Dar nu pot ști sigur, că n-am fost fost niciodată în situația cu pricina.
Jasmine
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this author. Always captivating characters and interesting plot. The style of language isn't for everyone, I find myself reading slower than other books I've read, but it's part of the reason why I enjoyed it. More of her novels in my list to read.
Sara Alhooti
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
لمن لم يقرأ لـ بيرل باك فقد فاته الكثير
شخصياتها حية .. وأسلوبها رائع

Diana
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mi primer acercamiento a Pearl S. Buck. Resultó tratarse de un encuentro inolvidable. En primera instancia, no creía que iba a gustarme, ni esperaba yo sentir fascinación alguna, pero conforme lo fui leyendo, descubrí que las páginas del libro me estaban acorralando y que no iba a poder deshacerme de ellas porque, en parte, quería seguir estando aprisionada. La madre es un personaje tan vivo que podría estar viviendo entre nosotros, hace unos días, ahora o mañana. Quién se atrevería a definirla ...more
Yahya Abbas
  • The Dragon's Village: An Autobiographical Novel of Revolutionary China
  • إنهم يكذبون
  • Spring Moon: A Novel of China
  • ثلاث برتقالات مملوكية
  • Là où les tigres sont chez eux
  • علم اسمه السعادة
  • The Three-Inch Golden Lotus: A Novel on Foot Binding
  • حياتك الباقية
  • فوبيا العلم
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to the United St ...more
More about Pearl S. Buck

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Bachelor Girl
  • The Wednesday Sisters
    $11.99 $1.99
“However impatient she might be in the day, however filled with little sudden angers, at night she was all tenderness.” 12 likes
“and looked sharply across the street. There was only one house” 1 likes