Start by marking “Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover #3)” as Want to Read:
Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover #3)

Wizard at Large

(Magic Kingdom of Landover #3)

It all began when the half-able wizard Questor Thews announced that finally he could restore the Court Scribe Abernathy to human form. All went well until the wizard breahed the magic dust of his spell and suddenly sneezed. Then, where Abernathy had stood, there was only a bottle containing a particularly evil imp, who soon escapes.
Published August 1999 by Orbit (first published August 12th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard at Large, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard at Large

Start your review of Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover #3)
Aryn
Meh. Just, meh. Definitely a low point in the series. As with the previous book in the series, there are two story lines going on throughout the entire book.

1) Quester, the wizard thinks that he has found the magic that allows him to turn Abernathy back from the dog form, in which he is stuck, to his natural human form. The catch? It requires Ben to give Abernathy the medallion that makes Ben king of Landover. Surprise, surprise, something goes wrong and Abernathy is transported back to Ben's
Angela Blount
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

As my first taste of Terry Brooks… I have to admit this was probably a mistake. But once I realized it was the third book in the Landover series, it felt too late to simply stop. I thought perhaps it would be able to hold up on its own if I just hung in there long enough. On the whole though… I feel I missed out. And I remain unconvinced that reading the first two would make me any more invested in the fates of the characters or in the kingdom of Landover.

The story is definitely fantas
Maria Mejia
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Johnny
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wizard at Large by Terry Brooks was the third volume in the Kingdom of Landover series that began with Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold. Until I recently read The Tangle Box, a later episode in that series, Wizard at Large had been the last book I had read in that series. I think I stopped reading the series because there was a sense of the formulaic being imposed upon the stories. In this one, the inept court wizard, Questor Thews, attempts to undo some of his previous calamitous efforts and, in so ...more
Gemma
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's good to see that this series has remained consistent so far. I can think of a few that have gotten more and more disappointing as they carried on, but that's not the case with this one. If anything, it gets to be even more fun.

That's the good news...the bad news is, this thing is starting to feel formulaic. Uh oh! Ben has somehow lost the medallion again! We have to get it back! There's an evil creature on the loose in Landover! We have to stop it! Nightshade is making trouble again! Someth
Charlton
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Really liked the book,it focuses more on a couple of surrounding characters.The main character(Ben Holiday)does have to go back into his old world which does make for some good and entertaining reading.
Kirstie
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you didn't see the spell at the start of this book going awry then you clearly didn't read the earlier two books.

The series is getting a little formulaic now. Oh noes, the medallion is lost. Again. This better not be the plot point in the next book. Or any future books really. I get the medallion is very important, but can i have some other stakes please?

On the plus side Questor Thews actually had a character arc in this one. I also finally got to emotionally connect with Abernathy. Also, I l
Shelby
4.5 Stars

So I know I read this book back in high school and yet in reading it now I realized I remember none of it. Made the reading that much more enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed Abernathy and his being stuck in our world. A talking dog would be a tad bit suspicious in today's world. ;)

I like that in this story Questor starts to really come into his own as a wizard, sure he's still a bit of a screwup, but he's definitely getting better. He really had to accept himself here and keep trying. He
Joelle
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this was my favorite of the series, although as a standalone it might have gaps. Spending half the time in our world (in the PNW!), the girl Elizabeth, and Questor Thews trying to decide if he really was a wizard were all things I enjoyed. Nothing went too deep; character development is fairly simplistic, but I've grown to like the characters and was happy I read the book. Overall, this is a series I would recommend. A bit sillier than the other Brooks series I've read, and so right up m ...more
Ray
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite Landover novel so far. Story surrounds Abernathy and he's a great character. ...more
Books-treasureortrash
Nov 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book Review: 2 Treasure Boxes

There is a lot going on and I found the story to be interesting, exciting and well written. All the characters are interesting, but I did not think there was much development in their characters, they all are pretty much what they are. I liked the ending of the story. The book had a good build up to the final conclusion. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

This is a stand alone story which I always find satisfying, yet it is also clearly part
Lee
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Questor Thews' latest attempt to change Abernathy from dog to man succeeds in sending him to Earth with Ben's medallion! To make matters worse, Abernathy was swapped for a bottle containing an evil imp, one with the power to cause great trouble in Landover. Now it is up to Ben and Willow to retrieve Abernathy and the medallion from Earth, and for Questor Thews to limit the bottle's damage. But, it soon appears that neither side will find their tasks easy.

This is another great book, from a really
Elien
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Easily the best one in the series so far, IMO. The hope I expressed in my review of the first book of getting to see more of Abernathy, was fulfilled at last! Gawd, I love that grumpy old dog. :p

No really, this book was exciting, filled with tension, and I couldn't read it fast enough to see what was going to happen next! Perhaps even one of my all-time favourites, but it'll have to be reread at some point to determine that for sure.
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Evil again stalks the Magic Kingdom of Landover and the king has been snatched away...of course I wonder why he keeps "trusting" Questor. To say his spells don't always turn out right is much like saying that bricks seldom fly on their own.

Fun reads, and meant to be fun.
Amanda Bhear
Apr 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Quester tries to use the High King's medallion to change Abernathy back into a man. He switches him with a jar that was trapped on Ben's world. The jar has a demon that feeds off bad feelings. The gnomes steal it & it starts on a country trip. Ben & Willow have to go to Ben's world to find Abernathy. Willow is a sylph, so she is having a hard time with the environment. Ben calls Miles to get some help with money & some information on the old prince, Michel Ard Rhi. He has always hated Abernathy& ...more
Jeremy Manuel
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Reading through the first three Landover novels, you get the sense that Terry Brooks set himself up very nicely to do a trilogy of books from the start. The first he focuses on Ben Holiday acclimating to Landover in the first place, the second has an enemy in the former court wizard Meeks who sold Ben the kingdom, and lastly we are dealing with the exiled prince Michel Ard Rhi, who became rich from the selling of his kingdom. It all seems like it is quite the nice setup from the start.

Overall I
Book Hunt With Us
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So here's my review on Wizard at Large, the third book of the 'Magic Kingdom of Landover' series🔮

Ben Holiday is faced with another challenge after Questor Thews, the court wizard continues to persist and try to change Abernathy, the talking dog back to his human form. His attempt at magic turns out to be a major fail once again💥 And, he exchanges him for a mysterious magic bottle that releases the Darkling in Landover🕷😈 Meanwhile, Abernathy is transported to Earth wearing the medallion that drag
Jonathan Koan
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok. This one was fun...well, the other two in the series were fun too. I really think the title for this one is slightly misleading for various purposes but it was still fun.

The plot is probably the least strong plot because it focuses primarily on Abernathy rather than Ben Holiday. That being said, the climax was so ridiculous and so funny that I absolutely loved it. It is probably the best climax of any book in the series.

I thought that as Ben Holiday represents people trying to escape their p
Brandon
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really interesting and it made me think of things took me to another world an imaginative place. The things they describe the gnomes by would make you think of evil toward and I would too but for some reason they respect enough too not take and steal his things without asking, but they know he is generous caring person and is not stingy so they like to take advantage of him and ask for things a lot because they know he will support and help them. People also seem to respe ...more
Kate Millin
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice quick read

Apart from the frustration that the newly bought print copy of the book was missing the last chapter and part of the penultimate one.

A story of friends and wizardry that is largely spent back in our world. Abernathy - the man turned into a talking dog- is magicked back to Earth when the ditsy Wizard tried to turn him back into a human. He ends up in the castle if the ex prince of landover who is a nasty piece of work

Lots of twists and turns, and a lovely young girl called Eliz
Michelle Swanson
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
just like the past two books a great read, although some of the book is not in Lamdover but on earth instead, still enjoyable.
Id rather it be in Landover though and some of the 2nd story line featuring Abernathy drug on to long.

The cover should have been something else theres only 1 chapter that features the dragon and wizard fighting, and the cover seems like its kind of misleading....

Steve R
A 1988 fantasy novel, the third volume in The Magic Kingdom of Landover series. It deals with a hero mistakenly returned to Earth by a miscast magical spell, and the release of an evil imp in the kingdom.

Not remembered now, almost thirty years after I read it.

Just a cursory glance at the cover illustration will reveal what really turned me off Brooks: don't you see Gandalf and the Balrog from The Two Towers?
David J. Reese
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read the first couple of books 30 years ago. Somewhere along the way, I stopped paying attention to when the next book was to be written.

I am happy to report that I still enjoy the story. It is very easy reading which is just what I need sometimes. I still chuckle occasionally at the characters and humor.
Denise
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this one, because of the way the ending wraps everything up it almost seems like this could be the last in the series... but it's NOT!! yay! I appreciated the attention given to other characters and their personal development in this book. ...more
Deb
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Having to search our world for the magiced away Abernathy, King Ben's right hand man and Wheaten Terrier, Ben discovers just how much Londover and Willow mean to him. Took me a little longer to read this one and I skimmed it more than a little. ...more
Drew Shearman
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am having a harder time working my way through this one. The first book was excellent. The second was good. The third, less so. Sorry, I was really hoping that it would have the sparkle of the first book.
Pamela
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read - Landover!

I absolutely love Terry's Lanover Series. A dream come true. A man from earth buys a kingdom and castle for a million dollars. Mayhem and rivals challenge him, but his moral compass prevails
Christopher
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Sequel is the same as the last

I find the characters, scenarios and mechanisms to be flat, dull, and unlikely. Just feels the same as the last sequel: written to be done without much interest.
Marc
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Landover books becoming easier to blast thru. I like the shift from magical kingdom to the real world. This was a fun one to read. Definitely recommend if you want to have no expectation and are ready for a quick story in Landover.
Derek Gillespie
Feb 09, 2021 rated it liked it
All about the fumbling wizard earning his stripes as a magic wielder. The story is entertaining enough and the plot twists are surprising. As of now, Jan. 2021, Brooks is still working on the final book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 3 213 Sep 12, 2018 05:29PM

• The Rivan Codex: Ancient Texts of the Belgariad and the Malloreon
  • Doom of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #2)
  • Split Infinity (Apprentice Adept, #1)
  • Forging the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #1)
  • The Hidden City (The Tamuli, #3)
  • Winds of Fate (Mage Winds #1)
  • The Elder Gods (The Dreamers, #1)
  • La setta degli assassini (Le Guerre del Mondo Emerso, #1)
  • The Law of Nines
  • The Witch Who Settled the Account (Pixie Point Bay, #1)
  • Nihal della terra del vento (Le Cronache del Mondo Emerso, #1)
  • The Soft Machine (The Nova Trilogy #1)
  • Agency (Jackpot #2)
  • Bitter Recoil (Bill Gastner Mystery, #2)
  • Juxtaposition (Apprentice Adept, #3)
  • Sight Hound
  • Rise of a Legend (Guardian of Scotland #1)
  • The Dark Warden (Frostborn, #6)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received his ...more

Magic Kingdom of Landover (6 books)
  • Magic Kingdom for Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)
  • The Black Unicorn (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #2)
  • The Tangle Box (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #4)
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • A Princess of Landover (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #6)