Start by marking “Miss Fiona's Stupendous Pumpkin Pies” as Want to Read:
Miss Fiona's Stupendous Pumpkin Pies

Miss Fiona's Stupendous Pumpkin Pies

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  138 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Originally published: Delafield, Wis.: Lang Books, c2001.
Published November 1st 2005 by GuidepostsBooks (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Fiona's Stupendous Pumpkin Pies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Fiona's Stupendous Pumpkin Pies

Calista
I've gone back on forth on this one between 3 and 4 stars. It's somewhere in between probably for me, but I ended up with 4 stars. This is told in rhyming prose which I love. I did feel like a few lines dropped a beat here or there and broke the rhythm established.

Miss Fiona knows how to create anticipation. She makes this little kids wait till midnight before they get her amazing pumpkin pies. I mean, that's late. She loves her pumpkins. She has so many they are all over the house. There is al
Kathryn
This is technically a Halloween book but since it's about pumpkin pies (which I associate with Thanksgiving), I read it in-between. It was a cute enough read, but nothing memorable or great. The illustrations made me think of the Gooseberry Patch catalog (cutesy country cozy stuff) and there were lots of cats, so I enjoyed that! The story is a bit long, and the poem is awkward--I hate to say it, but it seemed a bit amateurish. Still, it's a "gentle" Halloween read for those not too keen on the s ...more
Amanda
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have a thing for holiday book collections and this was an addition to Sienna's Halloween stack this year. Kimball's sweet illustrations are great and it's a non-scary Halloween tale about a witch and her famous pumpkin pie It's pretty long, so I didn't think my 2 year old would like it. Wrong--we've read this every night for 2 weeks. It's rhythmic and such rich illustrations, so a hit with her. The "pie" book, she calls it : )
Mrs. Mounce
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite Halloween story to read!! I came across this book several years ago and bought it to read with my sons. I knew it was a must buy for my library and it instantly became my traditional annual October read! It is a must read, especially if you love pumpkin pie! 🎃
Miss. Fiona lives in the spookiest house on the street, the kind all kids are drawn too. Every Halloween she picks all of her pumpkins and sets to work making her stupendous pumpkin pies from her most secret rec
Melissa
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autumn
I picked up this book and chose it for my daughter's first introduction to Witches and Halloween after reading a handful of other Halloween books while at Barnes and Noble almost two years ago. I absolutely loved how good-natured and positive the entire book was. The good morals (view spoiler), the innocent way that Halloween was written in the story, and the illustrations were visually stimulating in a ...more
Jill
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Miss Fiona loves pumpkins, pies and children. The story is in rhyming form and the artwork is beautiful and inviting.
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I read through this book at the bookstore today and brought it home to read to my boys. It is super cute! I love the rhyming, fun text and cool illustrations. Great halloween book!
Abigail
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Sweeter Halloween Stories
Famous in the neighborhood for her delicious pumpkin pies, Miss Fiona - a cackling old witch who lives in the haunted house beyond the graveyard - prepares for Halloween night in this rhyming holiday tale. Harvesting the pumpkins from her very own patch, decorating her house with copious jack-o-lanterns, and (of course!) baking her beloved pies, she makes everything ready for midnight on the important day, when all the local children arrive for their annual treat.

Although I was occasionally dist
Kristen
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween, kids-books
I picked this up because I have LOVED the books I've read written by Mark Kimball Moulton. His book Reindeer Christmas is a book that we plan on purchasing to read at Christmas every year. If you haven't read that book, you absolutely must pick it up this Christmas!

Moulton has written several books and I've enjoyed them all. His rhyming style is so easy to read. This only reason this one gets 4 stars instead of 5 is because I did stumble over a few of the rhymes in this book. Generally his wor
Crys
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a delightful, October read.

Full of clever storytelling and illustrations to match, this is an absolute must-read story for the pumpkin season.

This would be great in a secondary classroom to teach students how to build suspense in their writing - as well as how to create illustrations that capture the mood of the piece.
Susan Pace-Koch
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Written by Mark Kimball Moulton, this book was always a Halloween favorite.
Written in rhyme, the story carries the scary Halloween tone that is fun and not too scary for younger children. The color palette by Karen Hillard Crouch sets the tone..nice fall colors..lots of oranges and browns, pumpkins and night stars, witches with warts and a recipe for pie that you won't want to follow!
K
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely too old for my 2.5 year old. We'll have to come back to it maybe next year (or the year afterward), since it's just too long. Still, in the story she grew her pumpkins, made them into pies, and had all the neighborhood children over for pumpkin pie and apple cider. Sweet!
Guin
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I read this with my 7, 4.5 and 3 year olds. The 4.5 was completely enthralled with it. Love the verse structure used and I truly enjoyed the muted colors used in the illustrations-very much fits the season and tone. I enjoyed the message/moral added in.
Heather
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
28 months - we always enjoy a good Halloween read. This is a pretty long rhyming story but luckily O has a great attention span. The rhyme is a bit ackward in places. The illustrations are a bit country-ish but I like the old foxing look to the pages.
Whitney
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A cute, non-scary book about a "witch" who makes homemade pumpkin pie from scratch every Halloween to serve to the trick or treaters at midnight. At great honor, one special child is chosen to help serve the pie every year. Beautiful illustrations.
Leia
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It had a really sweet moral to the story. That even though Miss Fiona doesn't look all that great on the outside, it's what is inside that counts. The rhyme is sweet and easy and my girls loved hearing the story throughout October.
Dana
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book to read to my kids. I hoped to one day to read it to my grandchildren. This book will always have a special place in my heart and home. My oldest would have me read it to him all the time no matter what the time of year. So thank you Mark
Matthew
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday-books
This was a nice read for Halloween. The witch makes the best pumpkin pie in the neighborhood once a year for Halloween night. This was a rhyming text, so technically it could be called poetry as well. It was a fun book. I liked it.
Fiona
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read for Halloween, Liam loved it! I was alittle upset that Fiona had to be in her 400's, but feel the stringy hair may be justified! I will make that hair appointment.I have only managed 2 Pumpkin pies so far this year. Thanks to our friends in Boston for sending this book!
Kathryn
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Miss Fiona makes pumpkins pies for her trick or treaters each Halloween. The story is told in rhyme and the illustrations are very homey.
Shasta
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great book for kids at Halloween that not only is a fun read but reminds us not to judge others by the the way the look.
Teri
Nov 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween
just OK--too much rhyming for me
T.H. Waters
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really sweet children's book that I read to some seniors at a nursing home. The story line is fun for Halloween and the illustrations are marvelous.
Jami
Oct 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
One of our favorites Halloween books.
Kim
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
rhyming text, charming illustrations

themes: Halloween, pumpkin pie, trick-or-treaters, witches
Mary
Personally, I think the illustrations leave a bit to be desired, but the story is clever and humorous.
Kira
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
What an adorable book! I love rhyming books, and the author does a great job without any missteps in meter. A cute Halloween story.
Deanna
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book, I would recommend it to all.
Jenn
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Told in rhyme and illustrated in lovely earthy colors with sparkly jewel toned accents.
Jocelin
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
It was an ok Halloween book. Slightly weird and just a pinch of creepy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »