Start by marking “Pigs Love Potatoes” as Want to Read:
Pigs Love Potatoes

Pigs Love Potatoes

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
One pig wants potatoes . . . then so does his brother . . . his sister makes it three pigs, and Papa makes four. Then there are the neighbors! Now all the piggies want potatoes, and soon it's one big potato party!

Anika and Christopher Denise have teamed up to create this most charming, classic counting book, full of picture-perfect pigs and pleasing rhyme. Children will l

Published June 21st 2007 by Philomel Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pigs Love Potatoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pigs Love Potatoes

Blukany Jr
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-together
The story is cute and simple, but the illustrations are awesome. These are the cutesy piggies I have ever seen. What a big, fun family. I want to cuddle the tiny pigs. Perfect for my little ones.
Olivia Slykhuis
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cute counting story, about all the pigs deciding they want potatoes. Cute illustrations, with details to talk about, love the pet cat. My only complaint is that Mamma is the one cooking, and Pappa is the one coming home from work, but the other pigs (including dad) help peel and clear their plates, so it's not too bad. Very little text, good for little ones.
Kenson and kirra
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I like potatoes espescially french fries. i like to help my mom cook too.
Matthew
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a simple, rhyming counting book about pigs that want potatoes. It might be a good primary grade read. Simple and enjoyable.
Carole
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books-read
Pigs love potatoes so mama makes some for supper with the help of her family, and they keep getting more visitors who share in their meal.
Brittaney Reed
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Denise, A.(2007).Pigs love potatoes. New York: Philomel Books.

The book "Pigs Love Potatoes" by Anika Denise and illustrated by Christopher Denise, is a funny and very entertaining book about a family of pigs. well, these pigs like potatoes! the story starts with the little pig wanting momma pig to cook potatoes and each time something comes in another pig is added to the story line. It goes from the family of pigs wanting potatoes to the neighbors coming into eat the potatoes momma pig cooked. T
Natalie Cosellian
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
1. This book takes place in a house kitchen,where one pig wants a potato, which then turned into nine pigs wanting potatoes. This book counts the pigs up to ten. It also is easy to read with the way it rhymes. This book reminds me of another book, ten little monkeys jumping on the bed. They both use animals, a mother, counting, and rhyme. Looking back through the textbook it talked about the history of children's literature. This book is modern and is a fictional picture book. I liked the book b ...more
Heidi-Marie
A good option for a pig, food, or Thanksgiving theme. The rhyming worked well. There is counting in there. That could help it work for Toddler. This would be more of a filler in Preschool. The best part is the humor found in the illustrations, best seen in a lap-read or read-alone.

11/23/16 Used in food/Thanksgiving preschool theme. We counted the pigs and showed the fingers as we kept adding piggies. The kids liked that part. The newer boy figured out what was happening to daddy pig's head (whic
Lynn Plourde
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Cute counting book featuring pigs and potatoes. The text is sweet (in a good way) and spot on with the rhyme. The illustrations make the pigs seem like a porcine-version of the Waltons complete with porch-settin' and neighbors visiting and a feast for ten around the table. Kids can count the pigs and the potatoes enjoy the gentle humor (a pig in a tutu, a pig painter). Downsides...the ending felt forced and the potatoes on the endpapers look more like rocks than potatoes. But more pluses than mi ...more
Tara Gale
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. This is a book I would read to my future class. This book uses a clever number theme. The illistarations are perfect for the story and the concept is good. This would be a story I would read just for fun to fill three or four mins. This book would be good for younger children who are just learning to count. This is a good easy book for children.
Ramanda Flannery
This book is a cute little book. It's about nine pigs wanting potatoes. The story starts with one little pig wanting a potatoe then another pig comes in and so the story goes until there are nine piggies that want potatoes.
I think this is a good rhyming book that can help children learn to count by seeing the number of pigs and seeing the the letters that spell the number.
Kaye
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This story is full of words with the /p/ sound so it can be used for students who are working with this letter. It also counts to ten which would be good to use with students working on counting to ten.
I would bring in potatoes and have the students count them. I would also have them write a paragraph about potatoes using as them "p" words as they could.
Jeff Irwin
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with an izze
I read this book 2-8 times a day to my son, Izze. It is a delightful tale of a sow and her swine family preparing for a meal consisting chiefly of potatoes. Exciting full-page illustrations make this one a winner with the 2YO crowd, and the 30YO crowd.
Melanie
A great rhyming read-aloud story of a little pig who wants a potato so his mother begins to cook. Then the little brother and sister show up. Then father pig, then the neighbor and 3 neighbor children. In all 10 potatoes are cooked and eaten.
Carly Gates
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book. I would use this book prior to a math lesson that involved adding. I would point out how the words of the story sound like a math problem. For example, the mama pig is making two potatoes, but another pig wants a potato. How many potatoes does she need to make now.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
One little pig wants a pototo... soon all the pigs (ten) want potatoes.

Fun counting book about pigs wanting potatoes. We counted along on our fingers as we read the book at storytime.

2016 storytime theme: farm / potatoes

Reviewed from a library copy.
Tiph
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kb-s-bookshelf
My daughter received this as part of the Dolly Parton Imagination Library, when she was about 2 yrs old - and it quickly became a favorite. To this day (over 2yrs later), it is still pulled out multiple times a week to be reread and enjoyed! :)
Janet
One little piggy wants a potato to eat and soon others want potatoes to eat--all the way to 10 various young and adult pigges. The illustration of the small pig placing potato peelings on Daddy pig's head to create hair is particularly charming.
Rebecca
Oct 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This one was fitting for us tonight as my own son asked for baked potatoes for dinner, then little brother said he loved potatoes too and little sister was jumping around making a fuss. So, the book was a little bit of deja vu for us later in the evening.
:Donna Marie
PIGS LOVE POTATOES When author Anika Denise was paired with the illustrating talents of her husband, Christopher, it was truly a "children's book match made in heaven." In my opinion, their books are picture book perfection, this being only one! :)
Nanci Booher
Rhyming text tells the story of little piggies who love potatoes. The mamma piggy has all the piggies help peel and wash and stir the potatoes. A fun counting book that I think the kids will love at storytime!

Stephanie  Harchar
May 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was gathering a collection for use outside of the library. There was on the cover the cutest little pig ever. Took a minute and read it. Okay, any pig in a tutu is just what I needed to end my day on a great note. :)
Dana Johnson
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-310-1
This book deals with counting. I would use this in my kindergarten classroom when learning different numbers. Great story line to go along with it.
Nicole
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Got this from the Imagination Library program and Miles is already reciting some pages from memory. Very cute story, good rhythm, and works on counting to 10.
Peggy Archer
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This picture book has nice rhyme and rhythm. A good counting book. My only question was about the ending. It didn't seem to 'flow' with the rest of the book. But a good, fun book.
Anne
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, 123, picture-books
Mama Pig is in the kitchen. One little pig comes in looking for a potato to eat. Soon more and more join in. Rhymes are forced to make the whole counting thing work.
Kristy Dempsey
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A skippy fun classic counting book. Perfect for the 3-5 set.
Shannon Jones
Dec 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
It was a book I never want to read again.
Beverly
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Very cute story and went over well with pre-school children.
Danette
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Danette by: Sarah Howard
Shelves: picture-books
3/27/17 - Read with Naomi & Julia
11/6/17 Read with Julia.
5/6/18 Read with Naomi & Julia.
7/16/18 Read with Julia.
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe
  • Duckie's Rainbow
  • Fidgety Fish
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Carrot Soup
  • The Busy Tree
  • Welcome to the Zoo!
  • One, Two, Buckle My Shoe
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Bears on Chairs
Anika Denise is the celebrated author of many books for young readers, including Lights Carmera CARMEN!, Starring Carmen!, Monster Trucks, Baking Day at Grandma’s, and Bella and Stella Come Home. In January of 2019, HarperCollins will publish her forthcoming picture book, Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré. Anika lives in Rhode Island with her family. Visit her onl ...more