Start by marking “Homeric Stitchings: The Homeric Centos of the Empress Eudocia” as Want to Read:
Homeric Stitchings: The Homeric Centos of the Empress Eudocia

Homeric Stitchings: The Homeric Centos of the Empress Eudocia

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  1 Rating  ·  1 Review
Homeric Stitchings is a study in the performative aspects of ancient reading, the processes of human memory, and the reception of Homeric poetry as oral poetry in later antiquity. It will be of great interest to students and scholars of Homer, the Bible, and comparative literature and to cultural historians.
Published January 28th 1998 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Homeric Stitchings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homeric Stitchings

Amy Hughes
Empress Eudocia's Homerocentones is one of the most interesting bits of writing we have from Late Antiquity (in my opinion), and not just because it is one of the precious few preserved writings of a woman from that time. Composing a cento (a new poem created out of bits of another poem - Homer or Virgil - that tells a different story, in this case biblical history) is no small feat and Usher (who also worked on the most recent critical edition of her cento) explains well Eudocia's method and st ...more
Carlos Jesus
marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2016
Chris Mcgowen
is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2017
I am a UVM alumnus (B.A. in Greek and Latin) and joined the UVM faculty in 2000. Before attending UVM as an undergraduate I apprenticed in Germany as a post-and-beam carpenter. Upon graduation from UVM, I earned my PhD in Classics at The University of Chicago.

I teach courses in Greek and Latin language and in classical civilization. I have also taught in the Integrated Humanities Program, the Teac