Start by marking “Recalled by Life” as Want to Read:
Recalled by Life

Recalled by Life

1 SOFTCOVER BOOK
Paperback
Published March 1st 1984 by Avon Books (first published September 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Recalled by Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recalled by Life

Elizabeth
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MD/CEO of a hospital in Philadelphia who put his cancer in remission by changing his diet -- and was not exactly accepted by his medical community for so doing. The book is about his experience changing his diet and was obviously written while still alive, so it doesn't include the following:

They thought he had 18 months to live, but he lived more than 10 years longer and eventually died when he started eating a more varied diet again, including meat. Apparently he wanted to do some research at
Julia
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I got from my mother's bookshelf that inspired me into greater vegetarianism and macrobiotics. A wonderful but tragic story on how to heal oneself with whole grains and vegetables especially when health situations are terminal. Might frighten those who fear cancer and the traditional medicine treatments that wear down the human body. Although macrobiotics is not proven as a cure for illness, Satillaro's personal story does inspire one to attempt a healthier lifestyle. Encouragin ...more
Simin Yadegar
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is about a physician who suffers from cancer, but after becoming acquainted with macrobiotic nutrition he heals, at first he don't believe that nutrition any connection with his illness, but he learns more about it and found that there are many things about food that he and other physicians doesn't know. A useful book , but has not enough information about macrobiotic.
Mary Karpel-Jergic
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Published in 1982, it is disappointing to realise that very little has changed with our understanding of cancer. The types of doubt and dismissal of the relationship between diet and health that Satillaro discusses remain with us today.

This book recounts the author's experiences when diagnosed with late stage pancreatic cancer. Given a prognosis of 18 months, up to five years, he manages to supress (cure) his cancer for eleven years by changing his diet to a macrobiotic one.

As a doctor he has th
Vicki
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The reason I want to review this book is because I read it long ago shortly after it came out. It was recommended to me by a friend and I read the entire book on a couple of bus rides home from work. I was fascinated with his courage as a doctor to try something different, and fascinated about the macrobiotic diet. For whatever reason this story has stayed in my mind for 35 years.
Heidi
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this was very interesting just as an autobiography and/or memoir.

This doctor got cancer and cured it by following a macrobiotic diet.

Some people have questioned the facts of this case but they have been proven wrong.

I don't think that macrobiotics is necessarily the most effective cure for cancer--I think there are more effective natural cures such as essiac--but this whole area is something that should be looked at.

It is interesting that the scientific and medical tests he was un
William
Nov 25, 2011
Amber Lazaga
Mar 24, 2017
Chip Alhazred
rated it did not like it
Jan 16, 2016