Start by marking “Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King” as Want to Read:
Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King

Fear Itself: The Horror Fiction of Stephen King

A collection of essays focused on King's early novels (Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining, The Stand, Firestarter, Cujo and The Dark Tower) and short stories. Contributors include Peter Straub, Burton Hatlan (King's former English professor), Fritz Leiber, Alan Ryan, Deborah Notkin, Don Herron, and others.
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 255 pages
Published December 1st 1982 by Underwood-Miller (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Fear Itself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear Itself

Rebecca McNutt
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Any horror fan knows at least one book by Stephen King. Though I can't say I'm his biggest fan, I love most of his books (especially Pet Sematary), and this collection of essays looks at some of his all-time bestsellers with a deep eye for their creepy themes and characters.
Marvin
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: autographed
A collection of essays on Stephen King and his works up to The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger. I believe this was the first book of its kind dedicated to King.

Rating these type of books is difficult. Some of the essays are scholarly and other give excellent insight to King and his writings. But others read like some sort of fan worship. Overall, I would say this is an good read if you wish to learn more about King's earlier works and gain some insight on the writer.

The particular edition I have is
Tobin Elliott
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was interesting from a couple of standpoints, the biggest of which was that King had literally only published seven novels, one anthology and one non-fic book by the time this was released. Cujo was his latest release, though there was some mention of his novella, The Mist. What was interesting was some of the predictions put forth by some of the authors. That King would never create anything that would have the impact of a Poe or a Lovecraft, for example.

The downside of this collection is
Frank
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Essays on Stephen King
steffy
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
This is a pretty outdated group of essays about Stephen King's earlier works, meaning, nothing later than Cujo is discussed. Some of the essays border on dry and boring, some of them I simply don't agree with at all, and 2 of them really stand out as intriguing winners.

I think this would be a great reference source for anyone using Stephen King's works for a writing project, or anyone who likes King's early work. I would love to read something more comprehensive and up-to-date, but knowing how
A. E. S.
Stephen King criticism of some of his early works. Entertaining compare-and-contrast between his books and his movies.
Shane CGoda
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was enjoyable. My wife picked it up at a thrift store in Las Animas Colorado. I unfortunately lost this in our last move. I do want to replace it.
Michael O'connor

• Bare Bones: Conversations on Terror with Stephen King
  • My Favorite Horror Story
  • The Secretary of Dreams, Volume One
  • The Lost Work of Stephen King
  • The Horror! The Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read!
  • The 13 Best Horror Stories of All Time