Start by marking “Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)” as Want to Read:
Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)

Something from the Nightside

(Nightside #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  22,104 ratings  ·  1,304 reviews
John Taylor is not a private detective per se, but he has a knack for finding lost things. That's why he's been hired to descend into the Nightside, an otherworldly realm in the center of London where fantasy and reality share renting space and the sun never shines.
Mass Market Paperback, 230 pages
Published May 27th 2003 by Ace Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Something from the Nightside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something from the Nightside

·  22,104 ratings  ·  1,304 reviews

Megan
Nov 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Our first mention of the Nightside is (in my paperback edition) on page's 10 and 11 where we learn that, "The Nightside is the secret, hidden, dark heart of the city. London's evil twin. It's where the really wild things are."

From that point on, Green continues to write the phrase the Nightside on nearly every single page, often accompanied by a lengthy description of the horrors one will find in the Nightside. For example,

p.12 I considered the matter. How much, to go back into the Nightside?

p
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 2.5254896 stars. 2.224896 stars. My Nefarious Daughter Elena was kind enough to point out I had been overly generous with my original rating (must be the revoltingly disgusting Christmas Spirit getting to me), ergo I most obligingly lowered it and stuff.

You’d think that Noir + Urban Fantasy would = YUM, right? Wrong. As scrumptious as this could and should have been, it wasn’t. Why? Because:

It’s all clichéd as fish.
I love Noir Fiction (and happen to think all things Dashiell Hamm
Felicia
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Very good, I really liked the characters and the world. Similar feel to Dresden Files. Will buy more!
Dan Schwent
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
After five years in London, John Taylor gets drawn back into the machinations of the Nightside when Joanna Barrett hires him to find her daughter. The trail takes him all over the Nightside and nothing is ever as it first seems...

I've had this on my bookcase for over a year and I finally gave it a read on vacation. It's light and obviously the first in a long series but I dig it just the same.

The Nightside is a pocket dimension that lies in part of London populated will all kinds of nasties. Joh
Chelsea
This book came highly, highly recommended to me, by the same friend who bought me my first Dresden and Belgariad books. Never before have I doubted her judgement.

This book was the worst example of telling, not showing, I've ever read. There was a lot of dialogue that was only there to talk about the Nightside. You leave the book knowing what kind of person John Taylor is. It's not from experiencing him as a character, but from him telling you all about himself. To illustrate this point, the phr
Lori Whitwam
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This is the first book in Green's "Nightside" series.

"You can find anything in the Nightside-if it doesn't find you first. John Taylor is not a private detective per se, but he has a knack for finding lost things. That's why he's been hired to descend into the Nightside, an otherworldly realm in the center of London where fantasy and reality share renting space and the sun never shines"

I love this series. John Taylor is the relatively normal one (which isn't saying much) in a world filled with
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
If you like your urban fantasy/occult detective novel with a touch of the horrific, then The Nightside books are up your alley. John Taylor is very enigmatic. He has abilities. He can find things, usually things that don't want to be found. There are things that go bump in the night. And most of them live in The Nightside. It's a dark, scary place that is somewhere near London.

John Taylor is a wanted man in the Nightside, and has sworn not to go back. You know about good intentions. When a girl
Tammy
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: uf, dhggrc
Something from the Nightside was just an okay read in my opinion. Its starts off good-a detective with a gift for finding things takes on a case in which he must locate a rich lady's missing daughter. All the woman knows is that her daughter is in the Nightside.

My biggest problem is I don't like the descriptions of the Nightside, it seemed like the author tried way to hard to make it seem weird. I think it may have been creepier with subtle descriptions of the weirdness. Here's an example, when
Ami
Mar 10, 2013 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 47%

With huge apology to my buddy read (Kate), I simply have to bail. I can't continue a book where all I want is gritting my teeth in annoyance when I read it

Strike One: Alien Abductees. ALIEN. ABDUCTEES. Look I don't know, if it's the true plot or not, but when I read this line, I have to stop. I might enjoying The X-Files back in 1990s but definitely not almost two decades later. Alien is so last decade. I'm truly sorry, but anything with alien abductees thingy is not my thing.

Strike Tw
Catherine Ford
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For the full review click:

Phew, how to describe this book! First of all, let me tell you that it is amazing, no more than amazing – it is a true master piece! I have never read anything like it and doubt if I will. The Nightside series is sort of a mix of Terry Pratchett meets James Bond meets hell. Perhaps the best description I can come up with is that it is a black comedy action urban fantasy, and that still doesn’t quite cut it.

The book is told from a
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
While this is not "my" first Nightside book, it is "the" first Night Side book. (The statement almost sounds like something from the Nightside doesn't it?)

John who is "something special" in the Nightside, is just "John Taylor" in the mundane world.

What's the Nightside? Good question, it's the dark heart of London...except it has apparently existed longer than the city itself. It's where all the dark, dangerous, magic "stuff" goes and "lives" or "exists" as some of the things walking, working, a
Regina
A friend of mine that reviewed this book said it well -- this might have been a great book if it had been written differently. Initially I should say upfront that I prefer character driven stories and if a story is plot driven, then it takes a very strong plot and complex world building for me to be a fan of the book Something from the Nightside is not a character driven book and it is not a book with a strong storyline or strong world building. I think I may have not been the right audience for ...more
Anita
This book is written like an old-school down-on-his-luck PI mystery, complete with the rich dame that waltzes into the private eye's life desparately seeking his help. There are plenty of bleak monologues, just like you'd expect in that genre. That said, it's a contemporary urban fantasy setting that the author calls the Nightside. The Nightside is like a parallel dimension connected to London through the subway system. All sorts of crazy creatures from various dimensions, times, and planets com ...more
The Flooze
Something from the Nightside is the introduction to John Taylor, the man who can find anything and anyone. He's a native of the Nightside, the seedy yet vibrant underbelly of London, where nothing is what it seems.

Simon R. Green is adept at creating likable non-heroes. The men and women of the Nightside (including John Taylor) work within dark spaces, committing grey acts that are ultimately for the greater good. John is a rogue with enemies and a reputation for ruthlessness. Yet, his purpose i
Sarah Alirezaee
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dreams can come true, in the Nightside. Everyone knows that.
But they still vanish when you wake up.

Brilliant! Don't miss it!
Holly (The Grimdragon)
“The harsh, unyielding reality of having to compromise your ideals bit by bit, day by day, just to achieve a few little victories in the face of the world’s malice, or indifference. Until sometimes you wonder if there’s nothing left of you but the shell of the man you intended to be, just going through the motions because you’ve nothing better to do.”

This is a series I've been wanting to sink into for years now. I've got the first 9 (!!!) books and finally, FINALLY decided to see what it was all
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
London's underworld. Many different, strange characters, all of them dull. Including the main character, who is but a parody of the film noir detective. I love the supernatural, but this is just really boring, despite the strange new underworld it promises.
Mark
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Only thing wrong with this book is that it's a very quick read. The storytelling was expertly written engaging me interest all the way to the end.

I hadn't realised how quickly I had read it.

Going to read the others in this series.
Justin
Jun 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
I liked this book. I enjoyed it for what it was. What it is though, might not be for everyone. Like many others I was pointed to this series because I like Jim Butcher, Butcher himself recommends this series. Something from the Nightside’s main character is John Taylor. John is a private detective with a gift for finding things. He takes a case about a missing girl that forces him to confront his past and enter the Nightside. John Taylor has a serious reputation in the Nightside and he thought h ...more
David Derus
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
This book starts off as a poor man's Harry Dresden but ends up like a bad episode of Dr. Who. John Taylor, private eye, starts as the most stereotypical private eye ever. Rainy day? Check. Poor but principled anti hero? Check? Some genuine snark? Check.

Now, I like stereotypical private-eyes. However, Jon Taylor's flaw is not in his inability to separate himself from the pack. There are two major problems with this book. First, the world of the Nightside is so wild it is hard to invest in it. At
Tabitha
This starts out like how I would think an typical old detective mystery movie would start. After closing time, the detective is in his office ( I pictured that old frosted glass from the black and white films), he's a down on his luck, up to his eyeballs in debt type, living on the couch there in his workspace...when he hears the sound of a woman's footsteps approaching. In walks the dame...yeah that's how it goes.

Some of it was so 'to be expected' but there was also enough unexpected parts to b
LJ
Sep 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
SOMETHING FROM THE NIGHTSIDE – VG
Simon R. Green – 1st in mystery/fantasy series
John Taylor, in search of a runaway girl, was born in Nightside, an area of London “where it’s always 3 a.m. Where you can walk beside myths and drink with monsters. Where nothing is what it seems and everything is possible.”

I loved this book. Green writes with a Raymond Chandler-esq voice while creating a dark world of unique characters.
david
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's nothing quite like the nightside novels. Green has created an entertainingly dark alter-world that just makes sense...FUN story - can't wait to read others in this series... if you haven't tried the Nightside novels, you're missing out.
Jen
This story was flat-out amazing for me. I loved it! I had been wanting to read it for a very long time, ever since I first read Simon R. Green's story in the Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy anthology and this book lived up to and exceeded all my expectations of wonderfulness that I had formed upon reading that story. :)

From the first chapter, in which John Taylor pulled no punches in his description of the Nightside to his newest client, my attention was riveted. And boy, d
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF lovers looking for a male protagonist
Really enjoyed listening to this book. The voices were well done (for the most part... listening to a man try to create the voice of an upper class lady was more hilarious than successful).

I loved the characters, they all have creative and interesting names (well those from the nightside) and fascinating back stories, I wouldn't mine learning more about Sally Shooter's & Johns History! I believe there was a little bit of romance in it *wink wink, nudge nudge* lol. speaking of romance I did f
Molly
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
This is the first Green novel I have read. Picked it up at half price books, so I don't feel particularly bad about hating it. Or too terribly ripped off.

And I did hate it.
However, I kept reading it hoping that I was missing something.

To me, it seemed like this was the first book (or series) that Green wrote but didn't have it published until after he was established, giving fans more or something.

I got sick of the repeated phrases because, well, I am a smart woman and you don't need to tell me
Eshusdaughter
I made it halfway through this book before having to abandon it. I just couldn't get into the story and the characters had me rolling my eyes and impatient to move on to something else.

I have never been a huge fan of hard-boiled detective novels and the cliches of that genre don't appeal to me in the least. Something From The Nightside is very much in the hard-boiled detective frame, only with a fanstasy twist.

I like the idea of the Nightside and that alternate world within a world. There is som
Sandra
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Nightside, part of a realm under/beside London seems to be in another dimension ~ it's always 3am in the morning. Some things only like the dark.

This is a seriously bad place for those not aware and not prepared. John Taylor was born in the Nightside. Many creatures fear him coming back.

There were lots of subtle culture references, and also lots of stereotypes, but I've gotta say, I loved the 60's Coke and the casual mention of the 5 Tracy brothers and comments like "the plaque rats go arou
Soo
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Mini-Review:

I can't believe it took me so long to get into this series! I already got the next audiobook and I can see myself wrapping the whole thing up within a week. Nightside is an interesting place full of unique characters and dangerous quirks. I love it! Can't wait to see what else will pop up and get to know more about JT's origin.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a fast little read, only 230 pages in the paperback edition. It has a lot of similarities with his Edwin Drood series: loners trying to escape their past, names that instill fear on the heart of all who hear them, odd little places that the characters stop by for no reason that really propels the story along but just provides some humor, the world is full of every kind of nasty including aliens, unreliable backstabbing frenemies, and so forth. It's a decent enough setup for the series bu ...more

• Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
  • Dead To Me (Simon Canderous, #1)
  • A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • Mean Streets
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre, #1)
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)
“The cream-tiled walls were spattered here and there with old dried bloodstains, deep gouges that might have been clawmarks, and all kinds of graffiti. As usual, someone had spelt Cthulhu wrongly.” 30 likes
“ I went to a house that was not a house. I opened a door that was not a door. And what I saw, I saw.” 27 likes