Start by marking “Grumpy Old Women” as Want to Read:
Grumpy Old Women

Grumpy Old Women

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
We all know what it means these days to be a "grumpy old man," because part of that role is to be outspoken. Well, we've heard just about enough out of the men, thank you very much. "Grumpy Old Women" gives us the other perspective - the female take - on the million irritations of today's world. So what's the difference? Surely what is irritating to the mature members of o ...more
Published May 4th 2006 by BBC Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Grumpy Old Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grumpy Old Women

S.C. Skillman
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you want to shake with laughter whilst reading a book in a public place, read this one. I found this book almost painfully funny. Early on I thought to myself, 'This is a book by a Controlling Woman with humour and insight'.

To be a Controlling Woman is one of those roles in life which - for those who occupy it - is compulsive, and yet ultimately doomed, and even tragic (cue an excellent subject for a contemporary novel). Judith Holder summarises it all perfectly. Even in those parts of the bo
Eva Wierzuchowska
A Dated Grump.

Unfortunately, most of the 'topical subjects', lined up for attack were mostly well past their sell by date.; yesterday's angst, tired cliches from times forgotten, and no longer interesting or relevant. Generally a rather depressing read, with very few redeeming features to cheer the soul or gladden the heart. Only the rich and privileged can make complaining an art form. Some cleaning lady from Stepney with five kids and an alcoholic unemployed abusive partner would rather die th
Olivia Meads
Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I think I'm 40 years too young for this, didn't find it funny
Annette Summerfield
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a book I would have picked up and bought, a friend sent it to me. It's cute. Warning...don't read before bed..lol..you'll start thinking about things that has happened in your life, relating to something she has said and off goes the thinking as you start going over your own past events.
It's a cute book. Sure, I don't feel I'm a grumpy old woman and some of the things that bothered her doesn't bother me...but there are a lot of things that I can relate to in some way or other.
It was c
Sarahanne
Nov 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Like Erma Bombeck but without the humor. I kept thinking the whiny, stereotypical prologue was setting the stage for a story or essays. Then I realized that it wasn't a prologue... it just kept going like that. There is poking fun at your situation, then there is caustically bashing generations of women. Meh. Not for me.
Tanis
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was much funnier than I expected it to be, I read the Grumpy Old Men book last year and that was dreadful. This one though actually made me laugh aloud on the train a few times.

I really like Germaine Greer and Jenny Éclair so theirs were the bits that I liked the most. I left it behind in a fantastic café called Riccos in Walthamstow when I'd finished it.
Paula Croskell
I borrowed this book from my mum as I enjoyed the tv series but didn't think the book was as good as the tv series. I thought that the last chapter in the book was the best. Although some things in it did make me smile as I could relate to them.
Sally906
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Preferred the tv series to the book - I am certainly a grumpy old woman
Hazel
May 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I've enjoyed Grumpy Old Men and Grumpy Old Women on tv. The litany of misanthropic musings is fun for short periods. This book was less amusing, but not bad.
Mary Snaddon
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I think I read this years ago. Found it slightly out-dated, but I suppose what ever makes you grumpy makes you grumpy regardless of the date.
Nicki
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's not necessary to read this if you saw the series, most of it is rehashing. But it is funny.
I laughed a lot.
Dymphie
Mar 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Flauw
Michelle
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
If you've seen the TV show, you don't need to read the book.
Laura Needels
Dec 01, 2013
Gheghe
Jul 22, 2007
Catherine Heron
rated it did not like it
Jul 03, 2018