Start by marking “Exile (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #14)” as Want to Read:
Exile (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #14)

Exile

(Guardians of Ga'Hoole #14)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  3,569 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Slowly, inexorably, the Striga, a mysterious blue owl from the Middle Kingdoms, gains control over young Coryn's mind. An then the unthinkable happens. The Band is banished from the Great Ga'Hoole Tree. The Striga institutes a harsh new regime that will not stop until learning itself-the very foundation of the tree-becomes suspect and books are consigned to flame. Somehow ...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exile

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingWesley the Owl by Stacey O'BrienThe Capture by Kathryn LaskyHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Owl and the Pussycat by Edward Lear
Owls
105 books — 63 voters
Spirit Wolf by Kathryn LaskyThe Capture by Kathryn LaskyWatch Wolf by Kathryn LaskyFrost Wolf by Kathryn LaskyStar Wolf by Kathryn Lasky
Underrated Animal Books
105 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Aparajitabasu
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Finally the penultimate book 14 of this huge Guardians of Ga'hoole series, Exile. Although after reading 13 books at stretch anyone would definitely get bored and start asking when will this finish but Exile out of the blue still manages to captivate us readers in love and sadness with the brave owls of ga'hoole, the demonic Pure Ones, and the fight between good and evil. Few have been able to make a successful story of animals but this series exceeds that of an animal book,. Finally with the ne ...more
Joshua Turner
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
After I read this book I thought that it was very well written, because when I read the title "Exile" I got confused and at the same time curious about what it is was about. As I read through it I started to understand it much more. This was one of my five top favorites out of the whole series. The other four where Legends Of Ga'hoole, Battle of the Ember, The Burning, and The Rescue. As I read each of these books so many thoughts about the story raced through my head. There are 15 books in tota ...more
Anders
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
these books are getting weirder and weirder...a BLUE OWL named striga has gained control over coryn's mind making him EXILE the band as well as making owls burn their so-called "vanities". .........WHAT THE HGFGEUHFDHDSAHBGRUOFGMGDSDHHCDWAGYJHFMNXBXNCVHJSIEUGFYEJEBFGEJDBFHEHDFBFHDNDHFHSBCHFKWCJKJHBVSDHUIULNFHDBKUNHCKWHFBUWKHFKDFHWKJFHQUHEWBUHF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
King Hoole
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one was good. Rather dark I would say. The Striga is slowly taking over Coryn's mind. Tricking and deceiving him. As Striga has said, " at the heart is decite" now the band has been banished. It's the classic fight between good and evil. It questions power. And it begs the question, " Do we live under power or moral values?"
Jaclemente19
Exile
Jason Clemente
1/30/17
English 10 7th hour
Author’s Background
“Kathryn Lasky has had a long fascination with owls.” “She thought she would someday write a nonfiction book about owls.” “She realized though, that this would indeed be difficult as owls are shy, nocturnal creatures.” “So she decided to write a fantasy about a world of owls.”
She “wanted to include as much of their natural history as she could.”
Kathryn Lasky was born on june the 24th in 1944 and grew up in indianapolis, “She re
Rachel
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Band is exiled from the Tree when an evil blue owl (the Striga) gizzard-washes the young King Coryn. Can The Band get rid of the Striga before it’s too late for Coryn? I was pleasantly surprised by this fourteenth installment of the Ga’Hoole series. There’s a little life left in this series after all! Like The Golden Tree (the 12th book), this installment was an allegorical critique of organized religion (this time it criticized witch hunts, censorship, and apocalypticism). I was a little di ...more
Kayla
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy the GoG'H books when the Band go off on their special adventures. It's always funny because they are such old friends they are always joking or squabbling with each other.

In this book the Band and the other Guardians of the tree are invaded from the inside by the new owl who has recently taken up residents in the Great Tree. This evil owl grows closer and closer to Coryn and farther and farther away from reality. The young king is blinded by the new comers evil ways. And in the p
Jp Tulacka
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jp by: a friend
JP Tulacka

Guardians of Ga’ Hoole book 14 The Exile is a great book. I could hardly stop reading it was so suspenseful. The characters are the Soren Gylfie, Twilight and Digger which makes up the band. Outilisa a noble Spotted Owland and Coryn the King of the Kingdom. There also is The Striga who is an evil blue owl who came from the Middle Kingdoms and takes over Coryns mind. He convinces Coryn to send the band to go do weather research and once the band has left The Striga has the blue brigade
Ashley
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Cara
Another totally awesome book in the Ga'Hoole series! Poor Coryn - led astray but yet another owl because he let his weakness of parentage get in the way of logic. The Striga is such a fool and it's sad that so many flew to his cause. I can't help but make the connections to our lives now, we have some jerk spouting ideas and too many people following him without really listening.
Anyone, the Band and the rest of the tree have to get creative in order to save their livelihoods from the Striga.
Book
Sally Siawidjaja
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to Sally by: No one
This time the story focus on the blue owl which is not so good. The blue owl create a cult and influence the king. The premise is like England witch hunt.

How the king was influence, remind me of another chapter story in the book (i forgot which chapter). There is also a re-introduction of the owl previously introduce in the earlier chapter.

At first, I found it hard reading the book because the blue owl really get into my nerve, but near the end where everything is starting to get better, I qui
Jeremy Michael Gallen
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
In the penultimate entry of author Kathryn Lasky’s Guardians of Ga’Hoole saga, the Striga, a strange blue owl from the Middle Kingdoms, gains influence over King Coryn, with the Band led by his Uncle Soren exile from the Great Ga’Hoole Tree, and literature being set ablaze. The writer owes her gratitude to fellow writer Ray Bradbury for the dystopian world of his novel Fahrenheit 451, which has a similar depiction of the forbiddance of literature and learning, and the Striga plays a similar role ...more
Rahul
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Series Description:

Book Description:
Exile is the 14th book of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. There are elements in this book, like unexpected twists and references to other books with a similar plot that make this book very interesting. Since it has evil owls that burn books, it goes and refers to Fahrenheit 451 and Ray Bradbury in discreet ways that, since I read books like Fahrenheit 451, it makes this book unique to the other books in the series.
Ms. Mielke's Class Make sure you post how your sheets tell you to!!!!
Whoosh, a stranger just saved my life. Shouldn’t I do something to repay him? How would you feel if this happened to you. What if this life saver tries to manipulate you, and he succeeds without you knowing? What if your friends knew about it and you didn’t?

Try reading this book and you will be truly amazed. The strongest of people can be drawn into the claws of evil. One minute you are the very important and the next it’s like you don’t even exist.

In this book you will read some bewildering th
Bulldog
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
My book is the 14th book in The Guardians of Ga’hoole series. This book focuses on Croyn, Gylfie, Soren, Twilight, Digger and the bad guys. All of the characters are owls and other creatures. It happens in a world where magic exists and the inhabits don’t exactly know what humans are. The book starts with an assassination attempt on our main characters.

If you like this book you may also like the rest of The Guardians of Ga’hoole series. If you like books 9-11 in The Guardians of Ga’hoole series
Joanie
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: my friend Bethany and Corrine
Shelves: favorites
I rated this book 4 star because I couldn't help but absolutely love a book in one of my favorite series, but at the same time the book was so horrible. I don't think anything good happened in it. (view spoiler) Still a great book!
Luke Farr
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is without a doubt one of the most terrifying children's books I have ever read. It was almost painful to get through the book, but I knew I had to force myself to because there were only a few left in the series.
Elzbeth
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was probably my favourite book in the series. There's betrayal, gizzard-control, love, secrecy, and more. It was actually really good, not just fun, like the other books, but this was really good.
Frankie
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Coryn discovers his true lineage and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole join the Greenowls of Ambala. It turns out, only Tengshu can be trusted from the Middle Kingdoms, while Orlando is rather troublesome. The question is: What has more power; the Striga or the Ember of Hoole?
Judy
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it
book burning and burning of heritics
Karen
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Another 5 stars from my 8-year-old.
Alex
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm losing interest as these books get more heavy-handed and didactic, and as the author gets inconsistent from book to book...
Darren
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Darren by: Linda
Exciting story. I like the Ray Bradbury twist on it. Evil is still around. How can it all end with just one more book?
Carter
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was very good because it had very good details about the setting & what the owls were doing. I can't wait to read the last book in this series!
Barbara
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it
the story in itself isn't that bad but it's just that we had this story twist already in one of the previous books.
Bill Tillman
A grand finale to the Ga'Hoole series, lots of fun.
Jack
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
:D
Stephanie - Adventures Thru Wonderland
Very fun read. I love Lasky's style of writing! Great story, interesting characters, and a strong plot.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
The blue 'hero' seems to be nothing but trouble.
And when books begin to be burned the owls make plans to fight back.
Amanda
Jun 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Not the best book in the world.
Guardians & Wolves: Exile #14 1 3 Oct 31, 2011 03:29PM
  • Lost Tales Of Ga'Hoole (Guardians Of Ga'hoole)
  • Great Bear Lake (Seekers, #2)
  • Urchin and the Heartstone (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #2)
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series.
She was born June 24, 1944, and grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana, and is married to Christopher Knight, with whom she lives in Massachusetts.

Book 15, The War of

Guardians of Ga'Hoole (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Capture (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #1)
  • The Journey (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #2)
  • The Rescue (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #3)
  • The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4)
  • The Shattering (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #5)
  • The Burning (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #6)
  • The Hatchling (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #7)
  • The Outcast (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #8)
  • The First Collier (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #9)
  • The Coming of Hoole (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #10)
“The path is a ribbon of moonlight across a dusky sea.
The wind sings a song that beckons us
To that great and mighty tree.

We are the Greenowls of Ambala, clad in raiments of moss,
Sprigged with lichens and grasses
Then gilded with silvery frost.

Fair and square we play- for a sporting lot we are.
We ride the boisterous Balefire gusts
And we reach for every star.”
3 likes