Start by marking “Agent of Vega & Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Agent of Vega & Other Stories

Agent of Vega & Other Stories

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  750 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Volume 5 of the collected works of James H. Schmitz.

Published November 2001 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Agent of Vega & Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agent of Vega & Other Stories

Stephen Theaker
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: between-stories
The first part of this book concerns the activities of special operatives of the Confederacy of Vega, a small part of the galaxy which consistently and mysteriously punches above its weight in galactic affairs.

I've read the four Agent of Vega stories over quite a long period, and I don't remember the first two all that well. I remember enjoying them, though they weren't Schmitz's best (they are from very early in his career).

The next two I'll never forget: "The Second Night of Summer", in which
Chris Gager
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Finally got this after ordering it from the local library after reading the author's wiki page. I read "The Demon Breed" many years ago when it was titled "The Tuvela" and serialized in Analog/Astounding magazine. Then again a few years ago in book form. Still excellent sci-fi. Apparently this author is experiencing a bit of a reprint re-issue revival these days. Well deserved.

Just got started with the first story(the title one) and it's pretty good so far. No surprise ...

Finished the title stor
Sean Brennan
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, short-stories
A really great collection of stories from one of the unsung masters of Pulp S.F. covering a time period from the early 1940's to 1960's, the book is split into two parts, firstly the Vega stories - a galactic Civilization that involves itself(unknowingly) by the use of it's agents into the affairs of it's constituent planets, for the good of the Whole, the stories are very reminiscent of The Culture books by Iain M Banks, and one wonders if Schmitz was the original template.

The Second half of th
Manuel Alfonseca
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Fifth volume of the complete works by James H. Schmitz published by Baen Books, edited by Eric Flint. It comprises the four stories in the Agent of Vega series (about the first Schmitz wrote) plus seven various stories. The level is quite good, comparable to that of other volumes in the series.
refgoddess
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
another re-read. see witches of karres.
Dirk
An uneven collection, centering on telepathy stories of which the first four -the most pleasant to read- were previously published as 'Agent of Vega'.
Mayank Agarwal
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mix bag of short stories, all have brilliant plots and innovative sci-fi premises just that James H. Schmitz tends to deviate from the main story line too often, also his fight scenes are always confusing and a bit too intelligent. The writing style varies from stories to stories as they were compilations of his storytelling from across his career, the latter ones are more polished.
The collection has one of my all-time favorite read. Had been searching for it for quite some time as I had read i
Joy
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
AGENT OF VEGA has been on my shelves for decades, probably. I got it because I liked Schmitz's Telzey Amberdon books. The 4 novellas in this book also include the element of telepathy. Their heroes are undercover agents of the send-one-agent-to-deal-with-one-war type. Some of them were hard to sort out in my mind because Schmitz was keeping his secrets.

The catchiest opening comes from "The Truth About Cushgar".

There was, for a time, a good deal of puzzled and uneasy speculation about the methods
Kevin
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of science fiction, space opera
Shelves: sf, space-opera
These are some of James H. Schmitz's early stories, written from the late 1940s through the early 1960s. Several of the stories are loosely interconnected -- the "Vega" stories -- others are "stand-alones."

Schmitz had an especially strong imagination. Several of these stories involve concepts that would fit perfectly in stories written today, fifty years late. He was also unusual -- especially for his day -- in writing about strong female lead characters, even strong elderly female characters.

Hi
David
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly good read! I enjoyed all the short stories, especially the connected ones related to the Agents of Vega. The stories are all of a good length and most ended in a satisfactory manner. I suppose the one I didn't like would be "The End of the Line"; the twists in this one were just too sudden and neither well-explained nor well-justified. "Greenface" was pretty cliché by today's standards of monster movies but still enjoyable nonetheless. Given how long ago this was written, some of ...more
Jon
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good 1950's type space-opera fiction, very well written. James had a peculiar bent (for the times) of writing his females as sometimes the heroic protagonists, and a fine job he did of it, especially with some of the female agents in these Agent of Vega stories.

The "other stories" weren't quite as good - but palatable.
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it

Previously appearing in separate publications, these stories of the Galaxy are now in a unitary publication. After the Galactic Empire crumbled, the Vegan Confederacy was too weak to survive, yet it prospered because of its secret weapon--telepathy. Not all of the Agents of Vega were human, but all were the most powerful telepaths in the Galaxy.

Janelle
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
As a Schmitz fan, this did not disappoint. The first half of the anthology was the Agent of Vega stories which were highly enjoyable. My only complaint was that some of the stories in the second portion of the book did not seem very fleshed out, the endings were hurriedly resolved. All in all a great read.
Cheryl Medley
Apr 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Still good reading

Okay, somewhere in my collection of books I have a paperback version of this book which I bought when it was first pulished. I was very pleased to find it now in ebook form. There is nothing dated about the stories in this anthology which is more than I can say for myself. I highly recommend it.
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
These are older Science Fiction stories featuring Zone Agent Iliff. They are fun to read and highlight the changes in Science Fiction written in 1960 and Science Fiction written today. I found the book at a garage sale. An interesting side fact, I paid .10. In 1960 it sold for .35.
Steve
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reading it on Kindle. Clean, professional writing, plus I got it for free at Baen.com! Enjoyable ideas and short stories are just the right length.
Lynn
Jan 07, 2010 added it
baen ebook
Lynn Calvin
baen ebook
Jeff
Dec 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Available at Baen Free Library.
Howard
  • The Forlorn
  • Interstellar Patrol
  • Captain Flandry: Defender Of The Terran Empire
  • Earthweb
  • Stars Over Stars (Heyoka Blackeagle, #2)
  • Janus (Janus, #1-2)
  • Digital Knight
  • Wisdom of the Fox (Gerin the Fox, #2-3)
James Henry Schmitz (October 15, 1911–April 18, 1981) was an American writer born in Hamburg, Germany of American parents. Aside from two years at business school in Chicago, Schmitz lived in Germany until 1938, leaving before World War II broke out in Europe in 1939. During World War II, Schmitz served as an aerial photographer in the Pacific for the United States Army Air Corps. After the war, h ...more