Start by marking “Guts: Our Digestive System” as Want to Read:
Guts: Our Digestive System

Guts: Our Digestive System

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Why is it important tochew your food?

Can you guess how long it takes for food to travel through your body?

Could you possibly have twenty feet of small intestines?

Where does that bad-smelling gas come from?

Your digestive system is out of sight and out of mind -- until things don't go right. Then you may wonder how these important organs work!

You'll find the answers in Seymo
Published May 3rd 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Guts, please sign up.

Recent Questions

Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Seymour Simon describes the human digestive system using everyday language in this stunning photo essay.

In this photo essay, the artwork consists of an authentic collection of photographs, drawings, and color enhanced x-rays Simon obtained from a variety of research organizations. The essays alternate between white text on black pages, and black text on white pages. The simple layout featuring full page photographs opposite one full page of text per topic holds the reader’s interest. Each essay
Kathleen Lance
This book explains each part of the gut or the digestive system in the human body. It begins in the mouth and works its way through the esophagus, stomach, colon, intestines, etc. It describes the knowledge of each part scientifically, but to where it's not too "sciencey" for students to not be able to understand.

This book, in my opinion, describes in great detail the processes of the digestive tract so that students can understand, but at a high enough level that it still pushes them to grow a
This is an awesome book about the digestive system for children--Simon explains the digestive process from start to finish using correct scientific vocabulary (such as "peristalsis" and "villi"), but writing in such a smooth, simple way that it's easy for kids to understand. The pictures are mostly photographs and x-rays (although I have no idea what that esophagus picture is showing--the inside of the esophagus? The outside of it in the body of a preserved cadaver? No clue). The book uses large ...more
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
With big, colorful photographs and x-rays, this is sure to be a book that gives the reader an in-depth perspective of our digestive system. Some of the photos are a bit grainy and I'm sure that our technology is more refined to give more enhanced images, but it is still a fascinating collection.

The narrative is comprehensive (but not overwhelming), describing the different parts of our 'guts'. Seymour Simon has created another winner for the student science section of the library.

The informati
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The text for this is definitely a 4 star rating. Approachable, factual, and interesting, it gives a complete introduction to the digestive system on an elementary student level. 2nd grade and up could read it on their own, but even some first graders will enjoy hearing the text if they can't read it on their own yet. Photographs are solid, but suffer a touch from age (we can get better photography these days).
Christina Camp
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science, body, non-fiction
This is kind of a more advanced book for kids, but is full of information. In my classroom, I will let the more advanced readers use this book when we are doing informational reading and writing. This is a great book to get facts from and learn all about the parts in your body and digestive system. The students in my second grade placement love this book, especially the boys and a few of the girls.
(NS) Heatherk
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: information-bio
The title and cover alone captured my attention immediately. Simon's actual photographs bring the body parts to life as the text kindly and factually explains the part's function. I would use this information book for grades above 4th as I think students under 4th grade might not appreciate or hold much interest in the topic. Students who are learning about the human body and/or adults interested in broadening their knowledge will "eat this book up." I sure did!
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on the digestive system!
Oct 29, 2009 added it
K is making me read books to her about the body. This one has great photos and drawings. I'm learning a lot myself!
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Interesting stuff! I know a lot about the human body now.
Laura Z
Brandy Luther
Feb 28, 2016
Apr 30, 2010
Feb 06, 2013
Seymour Simon, whom the NY Times called "the dean of [children's science:] writers," is the author of more than 250 highly acclaimed science books (many of which have been named Outstanding Science Trade Books for Children by the National Science Teachers Association).

Seymour Simon uses his website,, to provide free downloads of a wealth of materials for educators, homeschoolers
More about Seymour Simon...