Start by marking “The Off Season: A Victorian Sequel” as Want to Read:
The Off Season: A Victorian Sequel

The Off Season: A Victorian Sequel

Compassionate, sly, powerful, and entertaining, The Off Season is a marvelous and magical new work from "a lasting voice in modern American literature". (Atlanta Constitution). Point Vestal suffers from an ancient curse--time operates differently with everyone. Victorian ghosts play pool with the tourists, buildings move on their own, and remorseful criminals commit the ...more
Published November 1st 1995 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Off Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Off Season

Start your review of The Off Season: A Victorian Sequel
Lori
Read 11/28/15 - 12/29/15
2 Stars - Recommended Lightly - It all just falls apart, like, the book practically disintegrated right there in my hands
Pages: 262
Publisher: Resurrection House/Underland Press
Published: July 2015

December was a tough reading month for me. All three of the books I started in late November failed to captivate me and dragged ass through most of this month. I ended up DNFing two of them, which upset me greatly. Deciding to chuck a book aside, no matter how much or little time
Benoit Lelièvre
Part of me really hated that book and part of me was awed by the rich, Miyazakian realm it created. There's a lot of negative review about that book and it's easy to see where they come from. First, it's an extremely complicated book with a narrative that's difficult to follow if you don't pay attention line by line, so you can never really settle into a reading groove. The author also seems very self-satisfied with his own culture and gimmicky imagery.

But...

Because there's always a but. I LOVED
Frances
This is an odd one; I keep thinking it's got the whimsy and fantastic elements of Beagle, or Bellairs THE FACE IN THE FROST, with the jumping around and opacity of Straub.

It's also got a certain distance to it ("Leaf, by Niggle", since we're doing comparisons).

It was interesting, it made me laugh a few times, and managed to upset me when it meant to upset me, but in the end I had trouble getting into this one.
Bob
Apr 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have been 'suffering through' reading this book after reading Cady's "The Night We Buried Road Dog" in Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine, and loving that effort. I rushed to amazon.com to see what else I could read from what I believed was my new favorite writer.

Well, I received 'The Off Season' in quick time and happily started reading.

It became evident that Cady's constant use of full multi-name characters' names and places takes up enough space to write another story. Point Vestal,
Karl
Feb 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
This copy is signed by the author.
Fran Burdsall
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
An epic battle of good versus evil. Complete with dancing cat, witches, Indians and china men in a coastal pacific town once populated by Victorians, the only thing this village was missing was a parsonage that moves, floats and relocates as it sees fit. Oh, yes, it has that too. I was so confused. I couldn't figure out why anything was happening.... I just accepted it on faith.
Melanti
Before you read my review, you should know that I have a somewhat adversarial relationship with funny books. A lot of books that other people find hilarious are just painful to me. I think a lot of other readers would find this book really funny, quirky and whimsical - but for me this just dragged on and on and I was counting the pages to the end.

There were a lot of things that bugged me about this book but many of them do tie back to this whimsicalness and since I think others would react
Mary
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book so much I have read it four times.Whimsical,mystical,metaphysical,suspend your believe in the linear world and enter this coastal town where time sifts,ghosts interact with the locals and houses move on whim,,,Truly delightful
John Boden
Nov 16, 2014
Steve French
Mar 13, 2013
Kathy
rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2018
Jun 15, 2007
Josh
Oct 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Endicott Mythic F...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Off Season - Who's Reading? / Discussion 6 14 Nov 04, 2014 04:50PM

• A City in Winter: The Queen's Tale
  • Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #2)
  • The Bleeding Horse, and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Anubis Gates
  • Winter's Tale
  • Peacock Pie
  • Mysterious Britain: Ancient Secrets of the United Kingdom and Ireland
Winner of Nebula, Phillip K. Dick, World Fantasy and Bram Stoker awards.

Obituaries:
in Seattle PI
in Peninsula Daily News
in Seattle Times
from Komo News
“You can speak truth to power,” Joel-Andrew explained, “but when you speak truth to weakness, weakness gets mad and queasy.” 0 likes