Start by marking “Accidental Revolution: The Story of Grunge” as Want to Read:
Accidental Revolution: The Story of Grunge

Accidental Revolution: The Story of Grunge

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Hole and Alice in Chains are the names that come to mind when we talk about grunge. But never before has there been a complete history of grunge with razor-sharp critical analysis—until now.

Grunge, a style of music that wed classic rock riffs with punk ethos, was the musical movement that defined the 90's and left an indelible mark on the music scene at
Published July 10th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Accidental Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accidental Revolution

Josh
Jan 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
it's like a bad college research paper...however, even a BAD college paper would cite sources. Anderson cites NO ONE. How he managed to avoid plagiarism is beyond me.

This book is OBVIOUSLY written by someone who was NO WHERE NEAR the scene when it happened and has not researched enough primary sources (like ACTUAL PEOPLE/Interviews). Yes, Anderson gives the book a view through a "pop culture lens" and proves that he knows very little about the people and the actual feel of what was going on wit
Indra
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'd give it a 2.5...mostly for chutzpah. I got this book for $5 in the bargain bin at the Experience Music Project gift shop, so I guess you get what you pay for! It killed a Saturday afternoon. There are several other books that tell this story better, even the ones that focus on Nirvana alone. I question Anderson's "authority" on the subject because it was obvious he wasn't HERE. He begins and ends the book by implying the entire grunge "movement" happened because Guns 'N Roses' "Use Your Illu ...more
Cody Sexton
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How long does it take for the present to become history?
For the political theorist Francis Fukuyama, history ended in 1989 – for him all the big questions had all been answered, and the ‘90s were the first decade of a final era of democratic capitalism. By the start of the 21st Century, of course, Fukuyama’s thesis was brutally discredited, and endless crisis has brought history roaring back to life yet again. But if we cannot speak of an end of history we can perhaps speak of an end of culture?
Lisa Kuhn
Oct 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was a huge disappointment. The author uses too much hyperbole, but then he contradicts himself in the next sentence. He writes about the scene as though he were there. Was he? No! He is my age, and I was only in 6th grade when Kurt Cobain died. Ug. Oh, and crime of crimes, he doesn't cite ANY references! Wtf?! I was really enjoying hating this book until he started talking about the candlelight vigil that Courtney Love held for Kurt right after he died. The idiotic and heartless author ...more
Jeff Wilder
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Entertaining in spots. But it too often comes off as something written by a disgruntled hair metal fan. That plus the author's tendency to generalize a lot without really thinking or doing any real research (listing certain post grunge bands as grunge) gives the book a myopic feel. It would be like getting someone who detests the likes of Warrant and WInger to write an objective book about hair metal or someone who destests rap to write a book about it.
Antoine Tremblay
Jun 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is simply the biggest piece of trash I have read this year. Apart from the incoherent name dropping (Gin Blossoms is grunge ?), very bad writing and false information, this excuse of a book gives delusional interpretations of so many aspects of the genre that it cannot be taken as a serious thing. There is plenty of great books about artists and the era that grunge defines. Avoid this one.
Patrick
Jan 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
Nothing I didn't really already know, but I had to read it anyway. I guess there was some stuff on Soundgarden and Alice in Chains I hadn't read before, and he makes fun of all the rip-off bands, claiming that it's possible that Bush was an art project to try and make the fakest band of all time a commercial success.
Rachel
Jun 26, 2009 added it
Good lead up to the break out of grunge. The author had the opinion that once grunge became mainstream, the best music had already been released. For anyone who grea up with this music, its great nostalgia.
Kaitlin
I really wanted to learn about the 90s grunge scene but while reading this book it felt more like a Nirvana biography than the actual scene back in the 90s because Nirvana was on almost every page and only pearl jam and soundgarden would pop here and there
J.L. III
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but some of it's comparisons are a bit off to me, between this band and that band. Also, it lacks any real depth -- for those, go with the Prato or Yarm books.

That being said, if you want a quick overview of things, this isn't a bad place to start.
Larry
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: music
Dude this book is pretty lame but it didn't stop me reading it cover to cover, analysis of grunge and its place in history... fuck you dude...it's place in history is Mudhoney on my turntable.
katy
Jun 11, 2008 rated it liked it
kyle anderson is awesome.
April Raine
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Written in an easy to read editorial style, it's a fun introduction to grunge and pop culture as a serious point of discussion.
Mikki McCoy
Aug 12, 2012 rated it did not like it

Quite possibly the worst book about any type of music I've ever read. This guy had the biggest hard on for Mudhoney. He should have just wrote the book about them instead.
Toni
Nov 24, 2013
Joshua
Apr 15, 2009
Petar
rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2016
Dolworth
Jul 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

This is Kyle^^Anderson, where ^=space.

About the Author:
Kyle Anderson is an assistant editor at Spin magazine. He lives in Brookyn, New York.