Start by marking “The Golden Treasury of Poetry” as Want to Read:
The Golden Treasury of Poetry

The Golden Treasury of Poetry

4.62  ·  Rating details ·  182 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
"This is a book to grow on. This is a book to grow with. In these pages are poems that will become favorites; you will never lose your taste for them. They will be part of you as long as you live. These verses - the nimble and nonsensical as well as the greatly meaningful- delighted me when I was young. They still delight me today. You will laugh at some of these poems; yo ...more
Hardcover
Published December 1st 1959 by Western Publishing Company (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Treasury of Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Treasury of Poetry

Etta Mcquade
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When my children were at home, we read the poems in this book so much that the book is now falling apart. Not only is this a wonderful selection of poetry, but it is illustrated beautifully. Today, as I prepare a presentation for an Alzheimer's unit, I again delighted in its poetry, and choose several selections, thinking that perhaps the patients had memorized some of these poems years ago, and that hearing them again would revive memories. (One can buy the book for $179.00 on Amazon.com.)
Elisabeth Cary
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I grew up with this poetry book. My dad and mom would read the poems to me when I was little or I would pour over the pictures. This is one of the only books in my literary history that comes from by dad's side of the family. When my dad was little, his mom read the poems to him. My favorites (sentimentally) are "The Raggedy Man," "Custard the Cowardly Dragon," and "Father William."
·Karen·
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
One of the few books that has always travelled with me through countless moves in various countries. Mine is inscribed at the front:"To Karen From Aunt Dorothy and Uncle Hugh. Christmas 1961." Aaaaaw.
Thom Dunn
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to me by Stephen/GoodReads, 12/7/14. Currently and for over two years now, I have not been able to reach my shelves from the box I used to use. I simply cannot make it work for me despite much trying.

Sally
This edition is a reprinting of an earlier version that I received for Christmas from my mother when I was nine years old. I loved the illustrations that accompanied the poems, and I can honestly say that my love for poetry stemmed from receiving this book. It is truly a "treasure."
Meghann Sniffen
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Awards the book has received (if any): none
Appropriate grade level(s):k-2
Original 3-line summary: this books is a collection of poems for children to read and share with their friends. The book has a wide range of poems that even adults love. It has many illustrations that follow so that kids can make connections.
Original 3-line review: I think it has a lot of poetry for children and children will like the vast categories they can read about. However, I do think that giving children a lot of opt
Marianne Evans
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Santa brought me this book when I was in the 8th grade and I have read through it over and over. Every child should be presented with a fine book of poetry to comfort, entertain and befriend them through their lives. Thank you MaeBelle and Mildred for the gift of reading.
Josiphine/Tessa
I read this book so much when I was a child that the binding fell apart. Most of the poetry I memorized came from this book. I still love it and browse through it regularly. This is the best poetry anthology that I've ever had the pleasure of reading.
Billy
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pirate story
1. N/a
2. K-1
3. 3 children go on a magical adventure on the high seas! By the high seas I mean I their back yard! It's a great poem to show off the power of the imagination.
4. This is a fun poem. It reminds me of playing in my backyard and pretending it was a far off world. I'd recommend this for an in class read.
5. This poem is great for vocabulary. The rhyme scheme is handy for building phonemic awareness.

Yak
1. N/a
2. K-1
3. Yaks are pretty hairy animals. Some people think that Yaks s
Jordan Stewart
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
K-2nd grade.
No Awards

This poem book has lots of great poems such as the "Country Cat" and the "Five Little Chickens" poems. There are illustrations on each page as well as one to two poems. They are simple and easy to read poems.

There are many poems through out the book. I like the simple illustrations that the children can follow. This poem book is great for pulling poems from to use in the classroom.

There are many ways to use these poems in the classroom. It can be used for Phonics in the
Julia
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-format-book, poetry
Definitely an oldie but a goodie that one will treasure for years to come. Within this book there is a collection of such great names such as T.S. Eliot, Emily Dickinson, John Keats, Carl Sanburg and so many more that it would forever just to name a third of them. And you will find yourself reading over the poems and crying to yourself if you were raised with poetry, "I remember that one!"

The compiler did a great job of combing similar poetry together while writing a small introduction to the
Jess Middelberg
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children
I decided to read this book because, in all honesty, it was the first poetry book i could find in my house.

This completes the category 'A book of poetry'.
I enjoyed this category because I do not usually read poems and it was different and exciting to try.

My favourite quote from the three poems I read was:
1. The Baliff's Daughter of Islington: "For now I have found my own true love, Whom I thought I should never see more."
2. Old Mother Hubbard: "This wonderful dog Was Dame Hubbard's delight."
3. T
Stephen
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
As an anthology of poetry for children reading-aloud-to age who might move on to enjoying it alone this can be compared favorably to an earlier anthology, All The Silver Pennies on which I was weaned. This is much bigger, broader in scope. It has a greater number of humorous poems, more ballads and anonymous vernacular poems and songs. It holds many more action-oriented narrative poems than Silver Pennies, which has a more feminine sensibility. It also is organized more thematically than Silver ...more
Danielle Rang
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-poetry
1. No awards
2. Preschool- grade 3
3. This book includes a large variety of classic poems in one anthology. The poems are organized by topics, from rhyme, creatures, Christmas, around the world, and funny poems, it offers a selection of poems for anyone to choose from, along with illustrations with most poems.
4. This anthology has poems for everyone at every age. From classic poems from T.S. Elliot to silly and funny poems, this book demonstrates the wide variability of poetry for students to lea
Sandra Burke
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
My grandmother gave me this book when I was 8 years old, and I've loved it and poured over it many, many times as I grew from childhood into a mother with an 8-year-old daughter of my own. I've pressed flowers into this book from long lost and forgotten loves, used the illustrations to learn how to draw, learned the poems and forgotten them and learned them again. There are poems here that have resonated with every stage of my life in one way or the other - this book has been a friend and compan ...more
Jane Buckley
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My daddy read me poetry as a child. This one was in my elementary school library and I checked it out over and over. Many of favorites are in there (as were Dad's). I got a chance to buy this for home a couple of years ago and would not be without it.

My Dad passed away in 2010 and I still read poetry and think of him.

Also -- the illustrations are good enough to engage children in the text. And many levels of readers would get something out of the wide range of peoms to be found here.
Christina
My parents purchased this book for me when I was about eleven-years-old. They had noticed that I kept checking it out of the library repeatedly. Now my daughter is enchanted by the illustrations and with the poems. Purchased a copy for her on eBay. Charming illustrations and poetry.
Karen Dransfield
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I'm teaching a poetry class so I've been reading through lots of poem books. This is the latest one. I am always interested in finding different versions of the same poems. And finding more verses. I have enjoyed reading some of these poems out loud to my poetry group.
Sheila
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, childrens
I have had this book since I was a child, and I have to admit that I love just having it on my shelf. Wonderful poems, wonderful illustrations. I don't know that I have ever read it cover to cover, but I know I have read many of these poems many times. A cherished, old friend of a book.
Debbie Robinson
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My grandparents brought me this for my 10th birthday because my mum told them I kept getting it out of the library. That was 45 years ago and I still have the book and look at it regularly. I love the poems and the pictures that go with them.
Mrs.
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Wonderful, beautifully illustrated compilation of classical poetry presented in a way that's accessible to children and poetry neophytes. Love this book.
Kate Barsotti
Jul 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I preferred the abridged version as a child, and blame Untermeyer for branding the minor poems of major poets on my brain. But it's still lovely.
Ann M
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children of all ages
Shelves: poetry
So many great memories reading this book! And the poems and poets are great, not childish.
Stacy
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites as a child.
Satyajeet
Aug 27, 2013
Heather
one of my most beloved books growing up. Great collection.
Wendy
  • Willy and Hugh
  • Marguerite De Angeli's Book of Nursery & Mother Goose Rhymes
  • Bears
  • Cinderella
  • Golden Legacy: How Golden Books Won Children's Hearts, Changed Publishing Forever, and Became An American Icon Along the Way
  • Flower Fairies of the Summer
  • Pagoo
  • The Silver Pony
  • Melisande
  • A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children
Louis Untermeyer was the author, editor or compiler, and translator of more than one hundred books for readers of all ages. He will be best remembered as the prolific anthologist whose collections have introduced students to contemporary American poetry since 1919. The son of an established New York jeweler, Untermeyer's interest in poetry led to friendships with poets from three generations, incl ...more
More about Louis Untermeyer