Start by marking “The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1)” as Want to Read:
The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1)

The Forests of Silence

(Deltora Quest #1)

The evil Shadow Lord is plotting to invade Deltora and enslave its people. All that stands against him is the magic Belt of Deltora with its seven gems of great and mysterious power. When the gems are stolen and hidden in dark terrible places throughout the kingdom, the Shadow Lord triumphs, and Deltora is lost.

In secrecy, with only a hand-drawn map to guide them, two unli
Published May 1st 2007 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Forests of Silence, please sign up.
StarFruit I feel ya! I don't know I could recommend anything in adult fiction, but if you haven't read Rowan of Rin, Three Doors and Star of Deltora, you could …moreI feel ya! I don't know I could recommend anything in adult fiction, but if you haven't read Rowan of Rin, Three Doors and Star of Deltora, you could always return to the world in the best way possible :) (less)
StarFruit This is the beginning of the best series I have ever read. You must read!

Start your review of The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1)
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Forests Of Silence (Deltora Quest, #1), Emily Rodda

The Forests of Silence was written by Emily Rodda, and is the first book in the eight-volume Deltora Quest series. It was published in 2000 by Scholastic.

The book opens with a boy called Jarred, a friend of Prince Endon. After the death of King Alton and his queen, Endon is proclaimed King in his father's place.

To consummate this, a magical steel belt, the Belt of Deltora, is set around Endon's waist. The Belt recognizes Endon as Deltora's
Jason Sharp
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: is571
This was one of my favorite book series as a teen and was the book that really got me into reading fantasy. It's technically considered a children's fiction book, but if you are interested in YA books don't let that scare you off as it's an excellent piece of fantasy writing. I recently read this book for the third of fourth time after a very long hiatus of reading hundreds of other YA and Adult fiction and I'm pleased to say that it holds up very well.

The series starts with a king and his best
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) The Forests of Silence ★★★★★
2.) The Lake of Tears ★★★★

-----------------------------------------------

BOOK #17 READ FOR BELIEVATHON ROUND 2.

I reread this book for my rereading childhood favourites video!

"The longest journey begins with the first step."

representation: brief mention of a deaf character, disability rep (physical disability due to an injury).

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★★

I can't even tell you how much joy rereading t
George Jankovic
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a nice, quick read. This is a great fantasy novel for 7-10-year olds. First half of the book is about the protagonist's dad. The second half is very the action starts and the three main characters meet. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
Jenni
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My sister and I both read these in fourth grade (I graduated high school this May, for reference), and to this day they rank among our favorite series read, ever. And we both have read a LOT of books.

I forget the plots and the characters names and what even the major point of the quest was... but I do remember the fantastic time that I had reading these books. I remember running to the Childrens' section of Barnes and Noble and hoppping up and down waiting for my dad to buy us the next book, and
Allyson (AllyEmReads)
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
I mean, it was a pretty solid beginning of a middle grade—no even younger—fantasy series. Emily Rodda was my and my sister’s favorite author when we were kids, around 7 or 8. I remember finding Deltora really scary, and I was absolutely obsessed with the world. I’m pretty sure I had all the extra books and even a few scholastic knickknacks centered around the series that you could get at the scholastic book fair. Anyone remember those? That was always the best week of elementary school.

Anyway,
Beth McCraw
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, pretty good middle grade! I liked the adventure!
Tanvi
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Michael Chen
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just recently finished reading The Forests of Silence, by Emily Rodda. It the first book in the Deltora Quest books. I read this series when i was younger, and remembered that it was a nice escape from reality. After reading it again i can tell why i liked it so much as a kid.
This book really isn’t like any other books I’ve read in recent memory. The best way Ii could describe it is like the Lord of the Rings, but much easier to read. The fantasy, creatures, and quest all remind me of tha
Lindsay Grogan
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Holy nostalgia Batman!

Read this series as a teenager and now revisiting it as an interlude between more serious books. The characters are simplistic and storyline straightforward, but overall is entertaining and holds up quite well. Despite being aimed at 12-15 year old age bracket, I enjoyed rereading this classic gem (excuse the pun) as an adult.
Christopher
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I saw this book in a box with some other books in my storage unit. I realized that I had gotten it years ago, but had never read it. Although this is meant for a much younger audience, I found the story to be intriguing enough to want to see where the rest of the series goes. I think my only qualm would be that the story, in the beginning of the book, seems to jump around a lot.
Nathan
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I always wanted to read these books as a kid. I saw them at book fairs, in the library and in Barnes and Noble all the time. But for some reason, I never picked them up. I think not reading these books as a kid may be one of my greatest literary regrets in life, because I know that as an adult, I'll never be able to enjoy them as much as I probably would have at age 10.

...Right?

Yeah, that's probably right. I breezed through this pretty fast, and although I enjoyed it, I can definitely see that
Natalie
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
3.5 / 5

A really great read! I'm glad I decided to try re-reading the series this year as I've been meaning to do so for a while.

I was surprised as to how much build-up their was in this novel (considering the size of it) to be honest. While Leif is our main character, he isn't actually introduced until probably a third of the way through, once the initial exposition and introduction (...so to speak) of our "great evil" is complete. I enjoyed the short history listen on the land of Deltora which
Dilan
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The book The Forest Of Silence is about a boy named Jared. Jared lived in the castle of Deltora. Jared's parents died so he is still in the castle to be best friends with the prince. They were Best friends and then they got split apart then Jared had a son named Leaf. The Shadow Lord ruled Deltora for many years and the 7 Gems were gone so Leaf goes looking for them with some guy named Barda. They meet a girl named Jasmin. They fight a guy then find 1 gem.

I made a text-to-text connection. I conn
Jen
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up off of my shelf late at night, with the intention of going to bed after I finished it. It was a good thing I had the rest of the series as well, otherwise I would have had to find a book store open at 11 o'clock at night! The Deltora Quest series is amazing. Once you start it, you will not want to put it down. The character development is believable and the world that Rodda has created is well-developed and lush with danger and magical creatures. I wish I had picked up the ...more
Lorally
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Deltora Quest is a series for children, but the world that is created by the skillful mind of Emily Rodda will stay with you. The characters will remain your friends, and the words will be there to entertain, comfort, distract, anytime you choose to pick up any one of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Deltora Quest series. My love for these books and my gratitude towards Emily Rodda for creating them cannot be accurately explained without sounding creepy. Which is unfortunate.
Deltora became a home away from
Liana
Despite being a setup for the rest of the series, this was a REALLY GOOD book. Honestly, my mind's blown. I can't get over how intriguing the plot is and how well it carries itself for such a small book, a book that's a little over 100 pages. It's like a miniature The Lord of the Rings or The Sword of Truth. Lol. The world building itself is mighty impressive too, having lots of room for potential and further growth.

Anyone of any age came enjoy the Deltora series, it's not just for kids. Do give
Benedikt  (Benesbookblast)
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this series when I was a kid. I believe this books really made me read a lot. However I didn't get to read the final installement in the serie (which still bugs me).
This was a quick and fun reread. I think i will read a book of the serie now and then. Its a nice intermezzo between all the horror. I'm glad to be back in Deltora and hope to get to the 15th book ever...
Jaeger Nelson
To start off here is a little introduction to the book, This is one of your classic fantasy books. It starts off with a young boy and he suddenly finds himself being given a quest and he sets off on a massive journey to achieve his goal and eventually save the day. This is very similar to books like Michael Vey, or Ranger’s Apprentice. For starters the first literary element we are going to be talking about is foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is when you hint to an outcome before it is fully reveale ...more
Harold Ogle
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic, quest
Based on this book, "Deltora Quest" seems to be a great transition series for the move from children's books to YA books. This first book in the first series (apparently the Deltora line resembles the "Beast Quest" line, in that they are both long series of books broken up into shorter "mini-series" of five or six volumes each) has an unusually complicated plot (for a children's book), and protagonists that exhibit a more complicated emotional range than most children's books (they're angry, con ...more
Novalee Gorden
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, very detailed and action packed started to a series. I loved it when we were told that Jarred and Endon had a secret code as a kid in order to tell each other if Min was near. I kinda got sad and frustrated at the same time when Endon is crowned as king and is forced out of his friendship with Jarred. Prandine is very forceful, and seems to hate Jarred. I can't believe that Endon didn't believe Jarred when he came to warn him, but noooooo Prandine had to freakout and call for guards because ...more
Gianni
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: deltora-quest
Emily Rodda's book "Deltora Quest; The Forest of Silence" is a fantasy book with magic like no other. The Kingdom of Deltora is under attack from the Shadow Lord and our heroes must find the 7 magic gems to eliminate the Shadow Lord and stop his Evil doings. Now, will our win the battle or succumb to the Evil the Shadow Lord is raining across the Kingdom of Deltora.

Rodda uses Character, Setting, and Theme well to have the story be delightful to read. By having the setting in a castle and a creep
Rachel
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SN: I remember loving this series when I was a kid but I don't remember if I actually finished it. I might have moved on to another series by the time the last book was published. So here goes my attempt at rereading the entire thing!

I think I was 10 when this book came out and I have an insanely vivid memory of sitting in Borders Books and starting on it while I was waiting for my dad to make his selection. After rereading this I can remember exactly why I loved this series so much as a kid. It
Bailie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: back-in-my-day
I adored this series as a kid, and re-reading it now, it actually still stands up. Is is simple? Yes. Are there large chunks of exposition? Yes. Does the whole books feel like a rip off of the Lord of the Rings? Absolutely! But it's engaging and descriptive without being flowery or on the nose, female characters are treated the same as any other, and the plot flows swiftly. For a kid's adventure book, this thing ticks all the boxes for me.
Violeta
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it more that I thought when I first started to read the book. After the few pages, you can see that the plot is very well written and even if is just the beginning, I could not anticipate some next chapters, actions of the characters. I will definetly continue the series to see what more is instaured for this.
Meanwhile I have seen that they have also an anime that follows the same plot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smkp6...

Tammie
May 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star-reads
Read- May 2020 for Believathon II and 24 Hour Raedathon (hosted by JadeyRaeReads)
- I've heard April (Aprilius Maximus) hyping up this series for years so I decided to start it for Believeathon II. I think this was a solid start to the series. The second part was a 3 star book but the first part let me down which is why I gave it a 2 star rating but I am going to be carrying on with the series.
Landon K
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is an interesting adventure book that has adventurous characters. The goal of the book is to find a missing gems and return them to the stone. My favorite part is when the characters head into the forest of silence to find the gem without being spotted by the guardian.

Thanks guys have a good one!
Dani Wood
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed this. Never read it before but always wanted to. I have past experience with Rodda’s writing, having read a couple of Rowan of Rin books and the Fairy Charm books, but this was more up my alley. Good read to the little man as well
Ashley
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
This is my husband's favorite childhood series and I promised him I would give it a try. This book was quite enjoyable but I wouldn't say that I loved it. It's a very easy, childhood level read so I had to keep that in mind. I look forward to the rest of the series.
M - The long hot spell
This is actually a great little story for late primary or high school kids. But I enjoyed it, too :)
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Young adult book about girl wanting to escape castle then goes on an adventure to find some sort of stone. [s] 7 32 Mar 16, 2019 06:33PM
The Deltora Quest Series 4 16 Nov 29, 2014 03:04PM
Riddles 25 49 Oct 30, 2013 11:11AM
Did anyone read this sieries? 13 23 Sep 14, 2013 02:34AM
What does a beggar have,a rich man needs,and the dead man eats? 6 91 Oct 25, 2012 12:39AM
MCC Children's Li...: Children's Novel 1 1 Mar 31, 2012 08:58PM

• Into the Mist (The Land of Elyon, #0.5)
  • Never and Forever (The Wizards of Once #4)
  • Master of the Books
  • Palace of the Damned (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, #3)
  • The Book of Lies
  • Target (Star Wars: Rebel Force, #1)
  • Ocean of Blood (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, #2)
  • The Secret Library of Hummingbird House
  • Birth of a Killer (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, #1)
  • Ruby Moonlight
  • Checkers
  • Came Back To Show You I Could Fly
  • The Magic of Krynn (DragonLance: Tales I, #1)
  • The Book from Baden Dark
  • Evil Genius (Genius, #1)
  • Thieves of Weirdwood
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio, #2)
  • 47 Ronin
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984. ...more

Deltora Quest (8 books)
  • The Lake of Tears (Deltora Quest, #2)
  • City of the Rats (Deltora Quest, #3)
  • The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4)
  • Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5)
  • The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest, #6)
  • The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)
  • Return to Del (Deltora Quest, #8)

News & Interviews

“In ancient days, Deltora was divided into seven tribes. The tribesfought on their borders but otherwise stayed in their own place. Each had a gem from deep within the Earth, a talisman with special powers.” 22 likes
“A hero called Adin rose from the ranks of the people. He was an ordinary man, a blacksmith who made swords and armor and shoes for horses. But he had been blessed with strsngth, courage, and cleverness. ” 17 likes