Start by marking “Cum să scap de Matthew” as Want to Read:
Cum să scap de Matthew

Cum să scap de Matthew

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  4,402 Ratings  ·  446 Reviews
For once, a novel that isn't about the heroine getting the guy. It's about getting rid of the guy, and in the process, finding herself.
Helen is nearly forty, and has, for far too long, had an affair with Matthew, a high-powered, much older, attractive, married man who was once, of course, her boss. After years of being disappointed by missed dates, out-of-the-way restaura
Published 2008 by Polirom (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Cum să scap de Matthew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cum să scap de Matthew

Tea Jovanović
Debitantski ženski roman... sjajan i azbavn... Kako se otarasiti ljubavnika... pri tome oženjenog... :)
Megan Baxter
I am in an emotional quandary entirely of my own making. I try to stride proudly around, claiming I'll read anything once, trying to eschew the all-too-common academic trend of looking down on popular culture or books that everyone is reading. So I make sure there are one or two recently popular books on my reading list at any one time. I'm open-minded, dammit!

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this
Karen
Sep 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This was a great rid, "chick-lit" with some substance. A 30-something woman who has spent four years of her life with a married man now ends up with him full-time--and finds it is so much less than she hoped for. Well written, funny, insightful. And set in England--always a plus. Why does British slang sound so much classier than US slang?
Daisy
In Getting Rid of Matthew, Helen finally convinces her lover to ditch his wife, but as soon as he moves out – whoops! She doesn’t want him anymore. So rather than chronicle falling in love and winning the guy, this clever novel recounts the all-too-real ways we lose interest in people – did he really leave his socks on the couch again? Has his hair always looked that bad? – and how we kick them out. But what if you happen to develop an unexpected friendship with the wife, the woman you made a cu ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Jun 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2011
Helen had always imagined that by the time she turns forty she'd have her life sorted: she'd have the job in PR she wanted, a lovely apartment in London and a man to share it with. So there was plenty of time to travel the world and go out drinking with her best friend Rachel. Now Helen's thirty-nine and waking up to the fact that none of her expectations in life have come about: she lives in a basement flat; she's stuck in a second-rate PR firm as a lowly personal assistant; she's invented a bo ...more
Mandy
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who like funny chick lit
Shelves: adult, funny
Finally finished it. It's hilarious and written with the same british humour that I've been used to of late. A friend bought it in London and read it, said it reminded her of me....and passed it on.

A woman is having an affair with a married man. Just as she decides she's getting fed up with it/him (4 years into the affair), he shows up on her doorstep having left his family and now wants to be with her.

She's less-than-amused that this has happened and decides to do everything in her power to rep
Heidi
Apr 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the worst books I have ever read. The story is based on an adulturous relationship, which is repugnant. But when this woman finally gets her boyfriend to leave his wife, she no longer wants him! I never enjoyed or cared for the main character and as the book developed it only got worse. The language is rough and reason enough to NEVER pick up this book.
Christie Stratos
*This book was supplied to me by Audiobook Reviewer. This review was originally published on ABR's website.*

It’s a rare humor book that’s laugh out loud funny, clever, and complex all at the same time. Humor is a difficult genre to write, especially since it’s easy to alienate readers who don’t share the same sense of humor as the writer, therefore unfortunately appealing to one type of reader instead of a variety of readers and often attracting heavy criticism. Getting Rid of Matthew by Jane Fa
Diane
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I have rated this book on the level which I enjoyed it rather than the quality of the writing. The writing is actually pretty good - except for the odd glitch where absent characters suddenly speak in conversations - but unfortunately this type of novel isn't my thing.

I was given a copy for World Book Night and thought I would give it a go even though I don't usually read chic lit. It isn't badly written or anything, but I didn't like the characters, the storyline or the concept.. and I didn't f
Sondra Santos
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, so good. This is a book about a woman who years for her lover's attention outside their scheduled evenings. Once he leaves his wife for her, she's shocked to realize that she doesn't actually want him, after all.

Determined to learn more about the wife that she took him from, Helen befriends Sophie and heads into dangerous territory, trying to balance her career (where her new live-in, married older boyfriend works), her relationship with Matthew's teenage daughters and her new friend, So
Iv
Feb 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't recommend it at all!
What a terrible book!I struggled to like the characters and with no result.Helen is a bitch and a cow and all the annoying things,Matthew is a bastard and Sophie is boring,at least a bit likeble than the others.I can't understand how 11 years old or near this age girl will swear like a grown-up and the grown-ups have been using fuck,shit and fuck and shit every second sentence.I've red "Got you back" from Jane Fallon some time ago before this one and now I found that I'm going over nearly the sa ...more
Medina Jasarevic
Knjigu općenito ne smatram gubljenjem vremena ali ova je toliko loša, plitka i očajna da sam mogla vrijeme utrošiti i na manje gluposti
Elizabeth
This was an easy read. Helen is the worlds most dumb and self absorbed creature in the whole entire world yet age still comes across as genuine. I felt like lots of situations in this book were totally unreal and I'll be honest the ending was ridiculous. The thing however that annoyed me the most was the list of women we hate...Helen had become one but when her vest friend does too she gives her such a hard time. I'd be interested to read another book by this author just to see if I rated it any ...more
Ian Mapp
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely funny book - maybe the funniest of the year - and my foray into the world of chick lit.

Fallon does a great job of caustic one liners in her observations of people, although I am disappointed that she has ladies who where suspenders on her list of peole that she hates. She also paints the story of perhaps the least sympathtic character in fiction with her portrayal of a woman who has a four year affair with a married man, forces him to leave his wife and then promptly spends the rest of
Lulu
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are many humorous bits throughout the book (which is a tad raunchy) that you really will laugh out loud. I mean, Fannie Flagg said "I loved it! What a terrific writer!" so how bad can the book be, right? Maybe it's just me. Or the mood I was in the other day when I read it. Or the author just made it hard to connect with any of the characters because none were fully developed. Or maybe it was the characters themselves. I mean, how do you relate to someone who vacillates between being a hot ...more
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
Getting Rid Of Matthew follows the story of a successful, thirty-something businesswoman who has fallen hopelessly in love with her married boss. After years of trying - Boss Man decides to leave his wife and kids for his mistress, when surprise, surprise, she actually discovers she doesn't want him anymore...

Despite its typical, rather cliched synopsis, this novel is an exciting chick lit and an impressive attempt for a first time author. Although women are typically conditioned to despise the
Christy
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was just ok.

The premise is that the mistress gets the adulterous husband, but then doesn't want him and so then works to get the shunned wife and adulterous husband back together.

It's interesting enough to see how things shake out, but what bothers me the most is the sympathy that I felt for the mistress even though she went into the affair knowing he was a married man. I'm also a bit bothered that throughout the book there is a running list of women the mistress hates (she figures prominen
Bill
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ‘Getting rid of Matthew’ story may resonate with some single women in their mid 30’s and married men over 50, who have become embroiled in not dissimilar addictive affairs, with unenviable consequences after the intensive passion declines, as it succumbs to the ravages of real life constraints.

Jane Falcon’s book is cleverly written, with humorous undertones that I found very entertaining, as they contained lots of human issues covered in a reasonable amount of detail, without becoming too pe
Sarah Boies
Mar 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I remember my mom reading this book and liking it. Thought I would give it a go- hated it. Every time the main character would speak, I would get irritated and have to put the book down. You are supposed to like her, pity her, and want the best for her; but she is just a complete turd. But I began it, so I had to finish it. The ending didn't make you feel fulfilled either; not recommended. Will not be reading books about homewreckers.
Dawni
Although the plot was okay, and the book had a followable storyline, I found that I really wasn't into the characters at all. The only character even vaguely interesting and likeable was Sophie - the wife Matthew left!

From the beginning, I found this one very hard to get into - I outright disliked Matthew and I wasn't very fond of Helen, either. It did get better once Sophie came into the picture more, but for the most part I really wasn't impressed. Not one I intend to keep!
Briana Alzola
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look at what it's like on the other side of the coin: the point of view of the 'mistress.' I thought the book was entertaining but it lacked something for me. I didn't really connect with the characters and I had a hard time caring about what happened to them. I didn't really know who I was supposed to root for.
E.C. Adams
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the funniest books I've ever read. Just recommended it to a GR contact who asked for suggestions for a book that would make her laugh and leave her with a happy feeling. This is that sort of book.
Apr 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the worst book I have ever read. In fact, it is scarcely a book. Pop-up characters, no depth, flimsy use of language, poor linguistic rhythm and a horribly predictable ending. I only finished it because I rate determination over pleasure. It appears Jane Fallon feels the same way
Linda Seaton
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!
Gina
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm truly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I used to be a huge chick-lit fan but have broadened my reading horizons and now tend to turn to it when I need to clear a book hangover from something heavier or just want some silly, mindless entertainment during times of stress. Both were the case here so I went into it with relatively low expectations for probably a 3-ish star rating. But as another reviewer said, there was actually some substance here along with the ridiculous, which was ...more
Coral
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: second-hand
Pretty much all the characters in this book are on the spectrum of awfulness. But you know what? We can have female anti-heroes and dislikable characters. I wouldn't do what Helen did, but I enjoyed reading about her journey to less awfulness.
The first 100 pages or so was hard to get through, because the characters aren't nice people. But once I was invested, I had a few good laughs.
The writing was pretty good. Definitely heavy on the British-isms.
I really enjoyed the developing friendship bet
Malvika Sp
Ha ha!
I felt like reading this book just because of it's title and summary! But, you know what they say - Never judge a book by it's cover!! It's funny and I liked the part when she realizes it's all just a phase - infatuation and the part where she tries to make the family whole again. Hope we all just realize this soon enough in our lives. The part where he doesn't stop with the relationships seems a tad bit much, most men are not like that, ha ha, but who's to say!
Sophie Moth
This took me a long time to read, more because I stopped reading for a couple of months than anything else.
Whilst I enjoyed this, I would still love to know what happened to some of the characters further down the line. Although it’s hinted at & left to our own imagination, I became absorbed in their lives and felt like I wanted to carry on!

Overall, a solid read and I’ll be working my way through more Jane Fallon novels.
Edith
Nov 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Every charity shop within 3 miles of me was stuffed with copies of this book, and when you read it you realise why no one wants it in their house. It is mean spirited, spiteful petty shit you do not want to be associated with.
Helena Wildsmith
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book felt unrealistic it was a very enjoyable read. I was really intrigued to see what would happen and loved the ending. Not my favourite of Jane Fallon's that I've read so far but still a nice easy book to lose yourself in!
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • Young Wives' Tales
  • His Other Lover
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • The Journal of Mortifying Moments
  • 37
  • Woman to Woman
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • The Book of Jane
  • Single White E-Mail
  • One Thing Led To Another
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • A Friend of the Family
  • The Baby Trail
  • The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine, #1)
  • Ready or Not?
  • Younger
Jane Fallon is an English producer and novelist, most famous for her work on popular series Teachers, 20 Things To Do Before You're 30, Eastenders and This Life. She has also written two successful novels.

Fallon has been in a relationship with popular comedian Ricky Gervais since 1982, after they met while studying together at the University College London. The couple has lived together since 1984
More about Jane Fallon...
“There was something about other people's grief that was so exposing, so personal, that she felt she shouldn't be looking.” 7 likes
“Back in the general office, she had to listen to Jenny and Annie banging on about how good-looking Matthew's son was and how he had obviously got all the good genes. "Matthew's first wife must have been very beautiful," Jenny was saying, looking over at Helen for a reaction.
Helen had cleaned herself up in the ladies on the way up, and now she was mascara free but still red-eyed, so she kept her headdown and pretended she couldn't hear. No such luck she would get away with that though...
"He was asking about you," Jenny shouted over. "Wanted to know which one was the slut that his dad had gone off with."
"Of course he was," Helen said sarcastically, knowing that Leo would never stoop that low.”
3 likes