Start by marking “The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary” as Want to Read:

A leading expert on native spirituality and shamanism reveals the four archetypal principles of the Native American medicine wheel and how they can lead us to a higher spirituality and a better world.
Published February 26th 1993 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Four-Fold Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Four-Fold Way

Start your review of The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
Seth
It doesn't matter that the scholarship is suspect at best; Angeles Arrien's take on shamanic paths is a great filter to add to your collection. I use it all the time in my work.

Arrien is best-known for her work on tarot and astrology. Her interpretations in those areas are a) always geared toward generative change rather than remediation and b) always well-structured in an overarching system. Her take on Native American shamanism is as well. Unlike her tarot system, however, her shamanic paths f
Karen Jett
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm read this book as preparation to work with a client using the leadership compass.

This is an easy to read book that divides the personality into 4 different abilities: Warrior (being present), Healer (heart), Visionary (truth), and Teacher (non-attachment). Unlike many other books, it's about becoming an effective leader by balancing your abilities in each area.

I especially liked the way the author not only described each area but also connected each back to nature and indigenous people's bel
Golden
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shamanism
Wonderful, it gets your mind rolling and forces you to think outside the box, about so many things in our lives, many of us just take as that's the way it has always been. One of the many things that has kept me on this path for so long. I read the books and learn and find out things that make connections to so much in this world and the other side. I read this one a few years back do not even remember when I got it. but it sits on my shelve in good company.
Michón Neal
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Vital and Integrated Resource

As a Native who's physically cut off from my culture, reading such a thorough and clear tome of the roots all indigenous cultures share unfurled me to the core. It affirmed current practices and values while providing even deeper reasons and ways to do even better. It actually guides you through what the shadow aspects are and how to repurpose and heal them. It doesn't teach sacrifice, but Wholeness.

My only complaint is in the reference to several historical figure
Akira Sasabe
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful self-reflection tool for someone who is interested in the native American traditions. Four archetypes described here provide a road map to understand your own personality, tendencies, shadows, and coping mechanisms. When I read this book, I felt so drawn to the images and ritualistic feelings anchoring different components in the book.
I read this book as part of my graduate study in organizational psychology. It really helped me to weave out my own theory of leadership person
Roxanne Claire
Apr 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
From my notes:
Four Principles: Show up; Pay attn to what has heart and meaning;tell the truth w/o blame or judgment; be open to outcome, not attached to outcome.

healing is a journey to wholeness. life-negating patterns: addictions such as intensity, perfection,need to know.

learning how to reclaim projections.

This book is dense with helpful information and suggestions. Told me a little more than I wanted to know about where I create problems for myself.
Tristy
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. She focuses in on the four paths with wonderful rituals and meditations and reading this really helped me understand those four parts of myself more deeply. I also realized that we do not have to choose JUST one path, but can walk them all at various times. I also really loved the cave paintings and drawings included in the book. They are really powerful and went straight into my dreams.
Cresanda Allen
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing description of each archetype. Arrien gives tools to use to awaken each one. I enjoyed the ability to further define myself because of the books anecdotes and explanations.
She included a lot of principles that resonated with me.
Terri
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I read "The Four-Fold Way" in preparation for a workshop that I will be co-facilitating on the process of transition.

Author Angeles Arrien explores four archetypes of shamanic (and other indigenous peoples) teachings: the Warrior, the Healer, the Visionary, and the Teacher. For each archetype, she covers the direction, element, creature, human resource, kind of meditation, way of living, four-fold way, healing salve, instrument, and season that it is associated with in many cultures.

What I enjo
/d.
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent introduction into the world of shamanism and the overlapping of different spiritual traditions around the world with a lot of inspirational quotes and motivational snippets. I found the separation of the four ways to be somewhat contrived, in the sense that key concepts kept popping up again and again throughout the book. Not that that is bad in itself - at the end it only just goes to show the centrality of said concept - but it does water down the idea of the book to develop four dist ...more
Jamie
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book a lot and took a lot from the different paths. I didn't rate it more highly because there was so much given about each way in terms of how you might develop it, and so I was left feeling really overwhelmed and also not knowing where to start with it all. It also felt like the teacher archetype was perhaps an afterthought. Whereas the other ways had something about them that felt like it resonated, I have found it difficult to remember the fourth way and when it came to the summ ...more
Michael
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this book after hearing a podcast that referred to Arrien's work. I found the concepts of these archetypes as pillars of emotional development compelling. That being said I found Arrien's overview to be somewhat too broad and the practices she reviewed under each heading too sweeping and underdeveloped. I like the concept of the four archetypes working in counterpoint to one another as compass points, but found myself unsatisfied with the working through offered in this summation. That be ...more
DianeC
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites. I've read it about 50 times. Don't just read & move on - dig deep! Use for your own growth & healing but you can also use with teams at work, executive coaching, and so on. Enjoy! ...more
Becky
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author describes cross-cultural roles and archetypes of 1)right use of power, 2)love, 3)creativity, and 4)wisdom and how applying them correctly helps us to live in our environment and inner nature.
Lorna Schuster
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Transformative if you work through the questions honestly.
Linda
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
interesting read about traditional archetypes.
Susan
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this book as part of a spirituality group of which I am a member. It was interesting but not engrossing.
Jo-jean Keller
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So much to learn from The Four-fold Way. A book to treasure and reread!
Erik Akre
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: reflective spiritual practitioners
The most I can say for this book is that I felt motivated, as I read it, to actually write on every single journal prompt presented. That's saying quite a bit, I think. For anyone who enjoys personality typing, and exploring different aspects of humanness in themselves, I think The Four-Fold Way will be a successful read.

Arrien explores four prominent archetypes, and what each means, and the reader is given to reflect on what role each archetype plays in his life. Which are the strongest? Which
Al
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Arrien's weird conglomeration of all "native" spiritualities into one way, path and structure is bunk, but her approach to and presentation of finding a whole, balanced life is anything but. If you can ignore the former and read for the latter, Arrien has great insights, practical advice and an overall uplifting, nature-centered and self-finding message, all of which is presented in a cleanly written way. For myself* (*the not-at-all spiritual person who still finds earth-based spirituality an i ...more
Jessica
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Encouraged by a friend, I recently finished this methodical book on self-reflection and inner "shadow work." I had difficulty at first reconciling my own meaning of animals, directions, and other natural world symbology. Each archetype was assigned these symbols, and they felt incomplete while also conflicting with my own prior knowledge. Once I let that minor detail go, I found this to be a straightforward tool that mixes lightly-sourced anthropology with consistent, purposeful exercises. This ...more
Katie
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I started reading this and practicing some of the methods in 2000, when I was a teacher. I have picked it up at times throughout the years to improve my spirituality in areas of my life.

I like the differing meditation styles and the musical instruments associated with each archetype. I re-read the whole book again before loaning it to a friend who better return it! It's nice to have a spiritual book to which I can refer with all of my margin notes. I also like the references to the tribes of th
Quinn
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent compilation of personality styles, working from the work you are called to do on earth. There are four sections: visionary, teacher, healer, and warrior. The book is a mystical approach to life's work. Each section includes strengths or gifts, the shadow side, the kind of meditation and body work that strengthens the soul.

I read the book as part of research on a poetry-writing class, and this book really helped me dig into the part of the experience that grows image-creation. A goo
Shaun
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
While the book shouldn't be read for an accurate portrayal of indigenous and Shamanic practices, Arrien does offer a useful framework to self-reflection and inspiration based on the archetypes of the warrior, teacher, healer, and visionary. Individuals - like cultures - could use these themes as a springboard to more specific (and perhaps historically informed) practices that serve to benefit all.
Susan
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
My sister is a huge fan of Ms. Arrien. This is my first introduction to her work and so far, sadly, I cannot declare myself overwhelmed by her wisdom. Her writing is certainly balanced between scholarly and spiritual. Perhaps because this book is so solidly couched in western American Shamanism it is missing its mark with me.
Emil
Feb 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: occult
Angeles Arrien explicates an interesting and useful four element cosmology. Arrien provides suggested exercises and practices that, if followed, will bring change. The Cycle of Transformation workshops draw a lot from Arrien's work.
Aubree Deimler
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wellness
I appreciated the sound wisdom from the four fold way rooted in shaman history - warrior, healer, teacher, and visionary. For each if the four folds there are suggestions for meditations and exercises. I'm sure I will re-visit this one again.
Michael Graber
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The four-fold way may be the best leadership book I've read. Drawing on indigenous sources with deep reverence, the content offers insights and practices to get and stay aligned with a sense of purpose and devotion. Highly recommended.
Edouard Stenger
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mba
Another book I had to read for my Leadership and Professional Development class. Some very interesting ideas and concepts among some other less interesting stuff. Glad I discovered and read this one.
Jenica Love
Dec 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I will probably read this book every season for the rest of my life, there is so much wisdom. Thank you Angeles Arrien.

• Witches, Midwives and Nurses: A History of Women Healers
  • The Chiffon Trenches
  • Lights Out in Wonderland
  • Into the Gray Zone: A Neuroscientist Explores the Border Between Life and Death
  • The Wisdom of No Escape: How to Love Yourself and Your World
  • No Mud, No Lotus: The Art of Transforming Suffering
  • Isabella: The Warrior Queen
  • Cræft: An Inquiry Into the Origins and True Meaning of Traditional Crafts
  • Start Where You Are: A Journal for Self-Exploration
  • Genograms: Assessment and Intervention
  • Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale
  • Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind
  • Food Fix: How to Save Our Health, Our Economy, Our Communities, and Our Planet-One Bite at a Time
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan #1 (of 4)
  • Heritage
  • Starter Sourdough: The Step-by-Step Guide to Sourdough Starters, Baking Loaves, Baguettes, Pancakes, and More
cultural anthropologist, award-winning author, educator, and consultant to many organizations and businesses. She lectures and conducts workshops worldwide, bridging cultural anthropology, psychology, and comparative religions. Her work is currently used in medical, academic, and corporate environments. She is the President of the Foundation for Cross-Cultural Education and Research. Her books hav ...more