Start by marking “Earrings!” as Want to Read:
Earrings!

Earrings!

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  296 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews

She wants them. She needs them. She loves them. Earrings! What won’t a girl do to finally get her ears pierced? Find out in this delightful tale that perfectly captures the yearnings of a young girl in desperate need of beautiful, glorious earrings!

Published September 30th 1993 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Earrings!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earrings!

Kathryn
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Ah, most children can identify with wanting something very badly and constantly hearing "No" from their parents. In this case, the desired and forbidden object is earrings! Virost does a great job of capturing that gut-wrenching desire, and Malone's illustrations are just so cute and humorous. I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what the overall "message" was here, though, as there doesn't seem to be any resolution and I don't really like whiny behavior (which, in this case, seems to go unchecked- ...more
Kaitlyn
Earrings is a fun book with lots of humor. Children will love this book and it is a great red aloud for the classroom! This book uses a lot of expression behind reading it, which children enjoy because it is engaging. It also uses repetition of words that students can become familiar with as the story progresses. The story is about a little girl who wants pierced ears really, really bad, and she drives her parents crazy over it. She is constantly coming up with reasons on why she needs them and ...more
Deborah
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, you could substitute almost anything a child wants badly and the text would work. It's been a while, but I think I remember these same arguments from some of my own children: "I'm the only one in the whole world who doesn't. . . " On the other hand, who hasn't had the feeling of the refrain: "I want them. I need them. I love them. Beautiful earrings. Glorious earrings." Again, anything can be substituted. Very fun, and the illustrations are a great fit for the emotions expressed in the tex ...more
Alexis Levine
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: persuasive, exe-3601
Earrings by Judith Viorst is such a cute and humorous book. It's about a young girl who is trying her hardest to persuade her parents to let her get her ears pierced. However, she isn't being very successful because he reasonings aren't that good. It's a very engaging book that really makes you feel a part of the story with all the expression throughout. This book would be excellent to use in grades k-third when teaching persuasive writing!

Candice
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she's older
Shelves: picture-books
This may be a bit dated, but it's still fun. A little girl wants pierced ears in the worst way. She rhapsodizes about how beautiful and glorious it would be to wear earrings in her pierced ears, and she's sure she's the only girl in the whole world whose ears aren't pierced. She cajoles, she promises, she persists, she reasons. The illustrations are cute and funny. A good book for a girl who wants to have her ears pierced, or for one who's just had them pierced.
Abbey Smith
This is a must have for any teacher's classroom! I use this every year to teach persuasive writing and the kids LOVE it! It is one of the stories in my room that they ask me to read to them on a regular basis. Judith Viorst does an amazing job of painting a picture/story between a young girl and her parents. It's a fabulous book!
Debbie
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I stumbled across this book when looking for an example of a persuasive text. It certainly delivers in that department. I only wish that I had found this sooner when my daughter was at the age of begging for pierced ears. I think that maybe Judith Viorst was eavesdropping and collecting ideas right outside my door!
Alexandra
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this for my classroom, it helped me show persuasion for writing
Abigail the Fangirl
My teacher read this story to us for Children's Literature. I thought it was very cute and relatable. I remember begging my parents to get my ears pierced. :,)
K
Nov 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don't understand what the point of this book was - it's a picture book about whining. It was especially disappointing as the author's 'Alexander' books are so good. This book is 100% skipable.
Kaitlyn Halbrook
Mar 12, 2017 added it
Shelves: other
This book would be good for students to be able to read rather than having it for a read aloud. It has a lot of repeated phrases.
Dolly
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a terrific book that helps tell a child's side of the story when parents deny her a certain privilege or request. This is a particularly pertinent example for us, because in our family we allow our girls to get their ears pierced at age 8. I know that it's a somewhat capricious decision to pick that age, but that's when I got my ears pierced and I wanted them to both make the decision themselves and (hopefully) remember the experience. So our oldest has made the leap, but our youngest is ...more
Angela Galvin
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Earrings by Judith Viorst is a story of a girl who is longing of earrings. The girl in the story is pleading with her parents to get her hairs pierced. In the story the girl talks about how all of the “grown-up” professional ladies have earrings. The girls talks about all the girls in her school having earrings. The girls talks about how her parents think that earrings for her age are inappropriate, tacky and premature. The girl talks about how mature she is; she clears the dinner plates and tak ...more
Angie Carter
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would not let my daughter or son, read this book unless I was taking them to get their ears pierced in the next 24 hours.
Emmaline MacBeath
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a young girl's lament about the fact that her parents do not think she is quite old enough for pierced ears. She gives many reasons why she wants them. She tells the many ways in which she acts responsibly. She even has a list of all the ways earrings will be positive influence in her life. She asks, she begs, she cries, she makes many promises all in hopes of having "Beautiful, glorious earrings for pierced ears."

The illustrations in this story are colorful and fun. The story is an
Courtney
Seems kind of out-dated, maybe?

Here in Canada, anyway, most people these days seem fine with getting their children's ears pierced early on (I was 5-ish, one of my cousins was a few months old. A co-worker who moved here from the Philippines said that her daughters had their ears pierced a few days or hours after birth, in the hospital.), it's not really considered something that's a big deal. It seems odd for the parents in the book to be so conservative.

It's okay, but I don't know how much c
Megan Willis
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l-a-concepts, block-2
The first time I read this book, I just thought it was cute and quirky. I knew my students would love it, because what kid can't relate to begging and bugging the heck out of their parents for something? Then I thought about it...and this is a great book to show an example of persuasive writing!! This little girl comes up with a ton of reasons to convince her parents of why she needs earrings. It is a great way to show my students that they already know how to persuade; now we just have to write ...more
Elizabeth
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Mrs. Martello (first grade teacher)
Shelves: children
In first grade just before I turned six I was obsessed with getting my ears pierced, as far as I was concerned a life of stick and clip-ons was a fate worse than death. My wonderful teacher Mrs. Martello gave me a copy of this book because she thought I would appreciate a girl who was going through the same thing that I was (she and I both swore to our parents that we would DIE if we couldn't get our ears pierced).
What a great book, and a great memory of a wonderful teacher.
Rachel
Earrings! is a great read aloud to introduce persuasive writing to students. This little girl wants her ears pierced and she will not take no for an answer. This story allows readers to see her persistence and determination to get her ears pierced. I would read this to both primary and intermediate students. The students could write a persuasive piece to their parents about something that they really want.
Jamie Tedesco
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, family
This is a cute story that many little girls (and boys) can relate to. Wanting to get your ears pierced is what many young children want but not as many parents are willing to comply.
The story really makes you think (spoiler alert) it will end with a little girl wearing a pair of beautiful earrings in her freshly pierced ears but it ends with the real life situation of a little girls still dreaming about her pierced ears.
Angela
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: persuasive
This is a story about a girl who wishes for nothing more than to get her ears pierced. For every holiday that involves a present, she wishes her parents would allow her to get her ears pierced. Through the entire story, she provides reasons as to why she should have her ears pierced.

Great book to introduce during persuasive writing week.

Kelci Cox-Griswold
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: persuasian
I had never heard of this book until our school literature coach recommended it to me. It is a good book to use when teaching children about writing to persuade. It is a lot of fun to read because of the expression in the book. The kids also really enjoy that it uses repition and they can read along with me.
Miriam Garcia
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Girls would really relate to this book. The teacher could have a discussion with students about how the girl who wants her ears pierced feels and how her parents feel. They could then write a pursasive paper on either the girl or the parents. It's a really funny book that will get you thinking about earrings!
Jnase1
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Several other reviewers stated my feelings exactly about this book. A good book from the point of view of the child...but needed to have a resolution at the end. Could be a good lesson on persuasive writing or maybe what happens next in the story. Younger students, especially girls, will identify with the character.
Mary
This is a good story for little girls who desperately want pierced ears. This little girl has lots of reasons why pierced ears would be good to have and doesn't understand why her parents won't let her get them. The text is small, but in the right context, that wouldn't matter very much. Good for early elementary reading levels.
Allison
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Earrings! is a great book that I would read to my students when teaching them about persuasive writing. The little girl in the book is trying to convince her parents that she should be able to get earrings. I think that many students could relate to the main character, and this text would show them how persuasive writing could look.
Ashlin Edmisten
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I absolutely loved this book as a little girl.

My mom bought it for me for Christmas one year. Surprise! I was going to get my ears pierced.

Even though the earrings didn't stick (I was too young to take care of them myself.), I read the book over and over again.

Then, when my sisters got old enough, I read it to them.
Matthew
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a good text to use in a lesson on persuasion. The girl wants earrings and her parents don't want her to have earrings. It's up to her to convince them that they would be a good idea. She doesn't succeed, but not for lack of trying.
Amy Wise
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a sweet story about a little girl who really wants to get her ears pierced, but her parents want her to wait until she is a little bit older. I like that at the end of the book, she doesn't get her ears pierced, but is promised earrings when she is alittle bit older.
Trang
Apr 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This a great book for persuasive writing! I would read this book to my class first and then have a discussion on what the character did in order to tell us that she should have earrings. We would specifically discuss the reasons and how they can do the same in their writing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • My Mom
  • Tight Times
  • The Quiltmaker's Journey
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • Once there was a bull...frog
  • Can I Keep Him?
  • Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe
  • Cook-a-Doodle-Doo!
  • Nini Lost and Found
  • Child of the Civil Rights Movement
Judith Viorst is the author of several works of fiction and non-fiction for children as well as adults. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, her most famous children's book, was first published in 1972 and has since sold over two million copies. Ms. Viorst received a B.A. in History from Rutgers University, and she is also a graduate of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institu ...more