Start by marking “The Story of the Latter-Day Saints” as Want to Read:
The Story of the Latter-Day Saints

The Story of the Latter-Day Saints

The history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is constantly changing as new information becomes available and as each generation asks fresh questions about its past. It was because of the need to synthesize such new research for an audience of interested general readers that we first prepared (the book) for publication in 1976.
Published December 1st 1992 by Deseret Book Co (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of the Latter-Day Saints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of the Latter-Day Saints

Start your review of The Story of the Latter-Day Saints
Faye
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is by far the most comprehensive history I have read of the Latter-day saints. It approaches history in a contextual way as opposed to a spiritual way. Meaning, you see the history of the saints as part of a whole history of the nation and of the world instead of as something independent or aloof from influence. This makes sense to me. Revelation is driven by the needs of the people existing in a fallen world. What happens in that world prompts people to seek God. I know this was a somewhat ...more
Kathryn
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very readable.
Erik
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mormon-history
This was very dry and a bit like reading an encyclopedia. While its candor and honesty was impressive for a 1970's LDS history book published by Deseret Book, it still had an apologetic tone. I don't think I would recommend this book for someone that wants to get an overview of Mormonism. Instead I'd recommend Matt Bowman's new book, The Mormon People: The Making of an American Faith. It's about half as long and much more interesting.
Brian
A well researched factual history of the church through 1975 thus proving that there were some in the church that didn't attempt to gloss over our more difficult issues in the past.
Rae
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religiosity
A well-written overview and general history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by two esteemed historians.
Cynthia
Apr 23, 2008 rated it liked it
A really good historical summary of the LDS church. Not exactly entertaining, but well written.
Jeff Crosby
Oct 11, 2011 added it
Shelves: history, lds
Because of the way I read and use my LDS library I have elected to not rate these books.
Dad
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very informative volume on the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I learned a lot.
John
Marie
Jul 21, 2007
Curtis Tanner
May 12, 2013

• Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Anthem
  • The Republic
1 follower
James B. Allen
Brief Academic biography
James B. Allen retired in 1992 from the History Department of Brigham Young University where, at the time, he held the Lemuel Hardison Redd Jr. Chair in Western American History. However, the term "retire" meant little so far as his active life as a teacher and scholar was concerned. He was soon appointed as a senior research fellow in the Joseph Fielding