Start by marking “One Hundred and One Classic Love Poems” as Want to Read:
One Hundred and One Classic Love Poems

One Hundred and One Classic Love Poems

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Gathers poems by Marlowe, Shakespeare, Frost, Lawrence, Keats, Auden, Shelley, Browning, Marvell, Jonson, Donne, Tennyson, Williams, Milton, Byron, and Dickinson.
Published September 1st 1988 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about One Hundred and One Classic Love Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Hundred and One Classic Love Poems

Pamela
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, romance
It is a shame the cover of this book is not shown. My copy is beautiful, and drew my eye at once. I write poetry, and love it, so reading this book was a joy for me. It has over one hundred poems from some of my favorite writers. Some were less known, but all enjoyed. There is Yeats, Shelly, Wadsworth, Dickinson, Browning, Frost, and others. Lord Byron, and even The song of Solomon, from the Bible is here. I am sure if you have a favorite, you may find it here. She Walks In Beauty, is one of my ...more
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't too crazy about some of these poems, but I liked many of them.
Abby
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a great collection of love poems. I always like the Shakespeare sonnets, probably because I am familiar with them. In this reading, I enjoyed the poem, "An Old Sweetheart of Mine" by James Whitcomb Riley. At first I thought it was going to be a sad poem, remminissing about a lost love. So many of the poems were this way. I loved the ending where his dream of his old love was broken by the appearance of his wife on the stair and he says, "Yet with eagerness and rapture all my vision I res ...more
Brianna Marie
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
A lot of names you'd expect with poems you'd expect (How Do I Love Thee, The Passionate Shepherd to his Love). I think the quality of what they chose was a little poor, though. Some authors they chose had poems that aren't quite popular, but a better choice than what they had. They really could've done better with Frost.
Frederick
Jan 27, 2008 rated it liked it
It's got poems by some of my favorite poets, Shelley, John Keats, Lord Byron. I enjoy the precise rhythm and metric used by these amazing wordsmiths, and the flawless ability to convey the many nuances of love. I read one or two a day, and try to hold with me the eloquence of the author all day.
Pollopicu
Sep 13, 2010 rated it liked it
My favorite poems in this collection were "Annabel Lee" by Edgar Allen Poe, which was the inspiration for the opening of the novel "Lolita" which happens to be my favorite book, and "True Love" by Judith Viorst. These two poems alone made the entire collection worth reading.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
bought as a christmas present from my first babysitting job
Kathleen
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013, anthology, poetry
Eh, it's okay. Very focused on white male European poetry. I was hoping for a little more variety-- Nikki Giovanni would have been nice, for example-- but I guess it's good enough.
Tahyun
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: wedding
It did not have quite the variety I was hoping, but there was some good material in here.
Larry
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my gift to my bride, my love, my best friend on valentine's day this year. the title is self explanatory
Bev
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A nice, small collection. Good poems
em.