Start by marking “Torn Lace and Other Stories: An English Translation” as Want to Read:
Torn Lace and Other Stories: An English Translation

Torn Lace and Other Stories: An English Translation

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Although written a century ago, the sixteen stories by Emilia Pardo Bazan collected in this volume are strikingly relevant to contemporary concerns. Noted for narrative complexity, stylistic variety, and feminist themes, Pardo Bazan's stories explore many aspects of the relationships between men and women.

Readers of these stories, most of which are here translated into Eng
Published January 1st 1996 by Modern Language Association of America

To ask other readers questions about Torn Lace and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torn Lace and Other Stories

David
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bazán is an impressive and enjoyable writer. I wished there had been more stories included, only being 16 or so of the 600 she apparently wrote in her life, but the 16 are a good selection and show quite a range. Very tight, clean, and intelligent writing, yet still moving at times.
Kansas
Un cuento de apenas cinco páginas y lo que me maravilla, es lo vigente que sigue siendo. La protagonista planta al novio frente al altar, en una época en la que hacerlo, no solo requiere un valor inusitado, sino que se enfrenta al escandálo y a la sorpresa de todos. Emilia Pardo Bazán ya en su época se atrevió a plantear ciertas cuestiones en torno a la mujer, valientes y atrevidas, siempre apostando por el derecho de ella a decidir su vida. Magnifica.
OierQ
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-3,5. Además de "El encaje roto" he leído otros cuentos de Pardo Bazán que me han resultado interesantes: "La chucha", "Justiciero", "El fondo del alma" y "Eximente".
Stacy
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of this author before, but am so glad that I picked this book up at a sale. Bazán's stories definitely reminded me of those of Maupassant (whose stories I'm also reading, on and off, in a little Dover book). My particular copy, it seems, came from a student, whose notes, alongside the editor's commentary before the stories, I also enjoyed reading as they popped up.

Many of the stories presented here deal with women, love, and weddings, which I found curious, but the way these d
Duke
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting collection of short stories, that deal with male female relations and women's societal roles. The timelessness of the topics is poignant. The stories themselves are concise, despite their brevity they make their point very clearly. I like to enjoy an author's work as freely as possible, so reading the translator's notes after reading the story was the best for me. The were insightful and interesting, it adds to the enjoyment to have an understanding of the creator of a wor ...more
Deirdra
Sep 17, 2007 rated it it was ok
I would not recommend this. I was actually excited about the author after reading the introduction. Unfortunately, Joyce Tolliver's introduction to the book is more compelling then the stories in it.
Eli Poteet
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This author is incredible and so is the translator. Radical. I feel feverish at the idea of the authors 600 other short stories.
Amanda
Jan 11, 2010 added it
I randomly picked this up while at a hostel in Edinburgh, and am shocked at how amazing this little book is.
Katie Rusnock
Dec 22, 2016
Giav93
Mar 10, 2017
Jamie Lynn
rated it did not like it
Feb 10, 2008
rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2013
Ginny Emerson
Jun 23, 2014
Emilia Pardo Bazán was a Galician author and scholar from Galicia. She is known for bringing naturalism to Spanish literature, for her detailed descriptions of reality, and for her role in feminist literature of her era.
Her first novel, Pascual López (1879), is a simple exercise in fantasy of no remarkable promise, though it contains good descriptive passages of romance. It was followed by a more