Start by marking “Small Is the New Big: and 183 Other Riffs, Rants, and Remarkable Business Ideas” as Want to Read:
Small Is the New Big: and 183 Other Riffs, Rants, and Remarkable Business Ideas

Small Is the New Big: and 183 Other Riffs, Rants, and Remarkable Business Ideas

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  3,435 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews

As one of today’s most influential business thinkers, Seth Godin helps his army of fans stay focused, stay connected, and stay dissatisfied with the status quo, the ordinary, the boring. His books, blog posts, magazine articles, and speeches have inspired countless entrepreneurs, marketing people, innovators, and managers around the world.

Now, for the first time, Godin ha

Published August 17th 2006 by Portfolio (first published July 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Small Is the New Big, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Is the New Big

C. Hollis Crossman
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The subtitle of small is the new big is helpful for understanding the book: and 183 other riffs, rants, and remarkable business ideas. It's a collection of posts from Seth Godin's blog, as well as a 35-page postscript discussing the value of, and how to approach crafting, a website, a blog, and a marketing conversation about your product/services. These brief essays are by turns funny, informative, boring, repetitive, surprising, and helpful.

If you're reading this to find a handful of groundbrea
Steve Piacente
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Once an artist puts some work up for sale, he or she, like it or not, becomes a small business owner. The time to read Seth Godin’s, “Small is the New Big,” is before taking this momentous step.

The book, though not written specifically for those in the arts or even small business owners, is crammed with riffs, rants, and provocative ideas that are worth contemplating if you’re thinking about transitioning from creating art to creating markets.

Take writers. Many worry about criticism, which bloc
Tamara
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I don't often read business books, but this one was amazing. Easy to read, with lots of anecdotes.

Here are some great tips/quotes:

Every single article about Google (until recently) included the phrase 'And employees eat lunch in a cafeteria where the food is prepared by a former chef for the Grateful Dead.'...For no good reason. It's a jarring juxtapositions of facts that no one expects but is pretty easy to remember. Oxymorons make it easy to tell stories. (BTW, This is the reason why I want
Flora
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't feel like reading the book anymore at "Egomaniac." I borrowed this book, because it's popular and gives actually really helpful advice about product design. It was very informative in terms of thinking differently to improve or start a business, but I can't stand the way he sounds. Just like how to a like a subject but don't like a professor's personality, each "post" made me think about design differently, but the author's tone and voice just overpowered the ideas. It was to the point ...more
Ann
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Since I follow Seth Godin's blog, I impulsively picked up his 2006 collection of earlier blog posts the last time I was in the library. Have I mentioned I love Seth? He rants about the same things I rant about and there is nothing more endearing than knowing someone else thinks as you do.

Like all his work, he sparks your creativity. You are free to pick and choose and see what makes sense in your own world.

Loosely alphabeticalized, you can read this book in small or larger (would that be appropr
Thursday Bram
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Seth Godin's blog and other online writing, and I've been working on picking up a few of his books. "Small is the New Big" was an exceptionally interesting read — particularly because I enjoy Godin's blog.

The book was page after page of short sections, essentially explaining an idea Godin has about marketing and business. While "Small is the New Big" isn't a textbook, I feel like I came away with an incredible amount of new knowledge.
Kim
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one took me a while to get through; but at the very beginning, Seth Godwin recommends reading this in chunks - not like a narrative.

What I really like about it is that it was written maybe 10-12 years ago, and some of his predictions have become hilariously true.

The other thing I like is the focus on small, nimble, agile organizations. That long ago, he recommended small orgs to get things done and make a difference. Now, “big” Fortune 100s are admonishing their teams to “think small” and
Maria Sigacheva
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this book with many marketing and business thoughts by author.
I also liked the points made, specifically about a shift and reality of small businesses becoming in some instances more successful and profitable, than big corporations.
The minimalist approach by SMEs, that bears fruits of profits. The business structure, that became ever more agile and adaptive to the changes, that gives small businesses an edge to succeed.
Not a guide though, but good read anyway.
Chet Ozmun
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cnf
A tragically bizarre pre-recession time capsule I probably should not have opened.
Carly Fiorina makes a cameo.
A
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Entertaining
Ashley
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent concepts & well written but this book started to feel very redundant after a while.
Lia Hulit
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't like it as much as some of his other books. Still solid ideas/takeaways.
Raymond Goss
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Material is useful and entertaining. It really is a collection of things related to doing things differently. One could read just a portion and still get benefit.
Nicholas
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ryan Barretto
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A superb book.
Short and lucid insights if you choose to apply them in your business / life
Sara Farinha
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
É oficial! Acabei de ler “Torne-se Pequeno e Pense em Grande!” de Seth Godin, publicado em Portugal pela Editorial Presença, e tal como afirmei anteriormente este é um livro que vale a pena dar atenção.

Reunindo uma série de reflexões sobre temas vários, gerados ao longo de seis anos, todos os artigos são comunicados na perspectiva de um marketeer com uma visão refrescante e suficientemente abrangente das mudanças que acometem a sociedade actual.

Seth Godin é, sem dúvida, uma força a ter em conta
Eunice
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Josh McCormack
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A collection of blog posts or articles, many of which now seem dated.
Dane Cobain
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Small is the New Big is something of an anomaly, as it’s one of the few Seth Godin books which doesn’t focus on a single topic – instead, it’s a collection of the best of the best of his manifold blog posts, and the topics are as varied as the lengths of the posts, some of which are only a paragraph long.

Godin himself warns you not to read this from cover to cover because that’s now how he imagined you reading it, but there’s no reason why you couldn’t if you had a long flight and had nothing be
Carlos
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Este livro mexeu comigo e acredito que também possa mexer consigo. Ao contrário de outros livros desta colecção (Sociedade Global), este é um livro sem um tema em concreto mas que tem um objectivo claro: não nos deixar indiferentes.

Este livro é um aglomerado de artigos que Seth Godin, o seu autor, publicou no seu blogue ao longo de anos. Portanto, não tem um fio condutor nem vai falar sobre algo específico mas aborda muitas situações, problemas, acasos do dia-a-dia e recomendações ou soluções "
Henri Hämäläinen
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read couple of Seth Godin books before and always enjoyed those. This Small Is The New Big got to my bookshelf almost by accident, but knowing the author I couldn't leave it unread. I'm so happy I did read it. Even though the book is bit old already the ideas in it are mainly fresh and valuable.

This book is not a real book actually. It's a collection of best blog posts from Seth. For the weirdest reasons it's in alphabetic order, but it still flows quite nicely forward.

It's hard to say anyt
Mark
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Being a business librarian leads me to read some books that I would never have given a chance. For good reason, often. But it turns out that Mr. Seth Godin has the following going for him: He is a good writer and possesses an interesting mind.

Small is the New Big is a collection of various Godin blog posts so it really isn't meant to be read as a straight-ahead narrative. In fact, Godin contradicts himself several times along the way but his overriding message is this: We live in an age where be
April Brown
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference

What ages would I recommend it too? – Fifteen and up.

Length? – Three days read.

Characters? – None.

Setting? – Real World Marketing (Or upper class marketing).

Written approximately? – 2006.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Somewhat unrealistic in start up funds ideas.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Start up funds need to be covered more. A few updates would help, as it is nearly ten years out of date.

Short storyline: Lots of short stories abou
E
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Tidbits and insights from best-selling author Seth Godin

These collected entries that best-selling marketing author Seth Godin gleaned from his blog offer a variety of world-of-work musings, from the reasons benchmarking can boost employee performance to the nature of hard work and the challenge of change. Godin himself warns that this is not a dense, researched report, but a compilation of bright ideas, inspirations and tales from the work of business. His fairly random assortment of observation
Jonyleo
Sep 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Depois de As Mentiras do Marketing, Seth Godin regressa com um livro que irá motivar todos aqueles que se encontrem envolvidos no mundo dos negócios. Com o objectivo de poder alcançar um público mais variado e porque acredita que basta uma pequena ideia para que todos consigam ser bem sucedidos, Godin escreve de forma acessível e compreensível para todos. Neste livro, o autor reuniu 180 breves reflexões que, ao longo de vários anos, escreveu no seu blogue, em revistas e e-books, sobre diversos t ...more
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of brief, yet profound thought starters about business, marketing, and success in the post-industrial economy. Through his constant perceptiveness, he's assembled a wealth of examples that he uses to prod his audience to think differently than they've been trained. The format encourages the reader to pause and consider each "riff" rather than plowing through them in sequence. For me, the overall theme is that, despite the way old corporations and new "channels" dominate our ...more
Nicole
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, non-fiction
2011
2.5 stars. An engaging read.

I got about halfway through this book (or maybe a little further than that) and I'm not sure why I never finished it. I didn't dislike it at all. In fact, I really enjoyed reading it at the time but I'd just put it down and forgot to come back to it.

Ultimately, when I step back, I'm not convinced any of it is that revolutionary, but the interesting nuggets it provides it can be inspiring. I think Seth Godin actually suggests reading the book by dipping in on occas
Quinn
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I started out very skeptical, I’ve read a few books of Godin’s and the last one was a flop. I thought it ironic that this is the thickest of his books that I’ve read, given the title. Creepy babies on the front, what’s not to love? Well I got into it and it was pretty good. I would say it’s well worth the read. He had a post about being open minded about a quarter of the way in and I changed the way I approached the book. Since this is a collection of his blog posts the length makes it super app ...more
Dayna
Jul 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Of all the concepts discussed in this book, the one I liked the most was about the over-emphasis on benchmarking. The author talks about how benchmarking puts pressure on us to always improve, which can sometimes derail the natural up and down of the learning process.

Overall: I like most of Seth's other books, however this one wasn't my favorite. I know that the book is supposed to be a compilation of ramblings, but it seemed like a rough draft, just a bunch of Seth's blogs stitched together. T
Bianca Woods
I honestly couldn't finish this... and I rarely give up on a book.

While I agree that Godin accurately outlines many of the problems companies face today, I completely disagree with the idea he espouses many times in this book of noting what companies are doing wrong and then suggesting the solution is to do the complete opposite of it. Sometimes the opposite of a bad business practice is a different, yet equally bad business practice. To consistently propose this "opposites" approach strikes me
Get Gift Voucher API For Business Growth 1 1 Jan 23, 2018 12:44AM
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • The Cluetrain Manifesto
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • The Guerrilla Marketing Handbook
  • The Sticking Point Solution: 9 Ways to Move Your Business from Stagnation to Stunning Growth InTough Economic Times
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big
  • Awesomely Simple: Essential Business Strategies for Turning Ideas Into Action
  • The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • Unmarketing: Stop Marketing. Start Engaging.
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust
More about Seth Godin
“How dare you settle for less when the world has made it so easy for you to be remarkable?” 81 likes
“How can I create something that critics will criticize?” 0 likes