Start by marking “Shame of Man (Geodyssey, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shame of Man (Geodyssey, #2)

Shame of Man

(Geodyssey #2)

A magnificent epic of danger, desire, triumph and tragedy, Piers' Anthony's Shame of Man is nothing less than the story of humanity itself. It is the story of two lovers reborn throughout history--Hugh, a dreamer and musician, and his beloved Ann, a beautiful dancer--as they struggle to preserve their family and their way of life during some of the most turbulent periods o ...more
Published December 15th 1995 by Tor Fantasy (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Shame of Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shame of Man

Todd
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Geodyssey series. It covers an 8 million year span in man's journey to become, well, us! There are chapters dealing with the development of social structures, food gathering, warfare, etc. There are also chapters dealing with more recent civilizations and their journeys: Philistines, Phonecians, (the Punic Wars), Japanese royalty, the formation of Islam, Easter Island, and even Tasmania in 2050! I really like this series and plan to read all of the books. I gave th ...more
Joey
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
These books are simply amazing. The concept sounds gimmicky, but it works quite well. The trilogy follows a family through the eons of human development. At the beginning, they are pre-human primates, and each chapter finds them evolving gradually through history and even (by the end of book 3) into our future. The story takes up generally where it left off, although the protagonists are in different times and sometimes places with each new chapter.

The result is a sweeping epic that examines wh
Dani Schwegel
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
The concept of the book is great, it's what I loved about the first one. Shame of Man though became one of those books I had to force myself to finish because I had started it. Pretty much every six pages involved attempted rape or "they had sex", to the point where it was turned into a drinking game. There really wasn't much of a story to this book, it just followed Hue and his woe-is-me tale about being left-handed during different time periods and how they adapted to the climate/terrain chang ...more
Ben Lund
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked this more than the first one, but something about ANthony's writing still falls flat for me. I don't know if it just hasn't aged well, or my reading preferences have changed or what it is, but I find it a struggle to get into these books. Every couple chapters I have to read part of another book to kind of refresh myself to get back into this one, hence it is a slow process.

That being said, I did like this one more than the first. It seemed more thought out and researched, and I enjoyed
Derek
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Anthony has a neat concept with these books, but they're a chore to get through. The stories get a little repetitive and there's a heavy focus on eroticism. His theme of natural preservation does not run the whole way through the book, so the argument he makes for it in his notes falls a bit flat.
Shannon McGee
May 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fiction History lovers
This book is sequel to Isle of Woman, which I did like a lot This one was good but not as good as the first. Shame of Man mostly revolved around the character Hue, or Hugh or other variations of his was used also. Revolving around one character made it different from the first book because the first had two main characters and it was more of a love story. This one was more about struggles of man versus evil or man vs. survival. There was more history and mythology involved in this also, which I ...more
M.M. Strawberry Reviews
This was a rather good book and a decent follow-up to Isle of Woman. I actually enjoyed the more primitive parts of this book (the ones that happened more than 10,000 years ago), because after that, the stories have a lot of smut in them. Not that adult stuff is bad, since most of us are adults, but I do wish that Mr. Anthony would rely on it less as a plot device, he uses it SO much in most if not all of his books, and it gets really old.

I mean, after a while, I was getting REALLY tired of read
Jeremiah Johnson
Nov 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I've come to realize that Piers Anthony is a dirty old man. There wasn't as much sex and rape as was in the first book, but still more than was necessary (none would have probably been just fine.)
The storyline in this book is much more congruous throughout the ages unlike the first one. This made it easier to relate to the new surroundings.
The history presented is very interesting.
One thing I can't stand in books are flashbacks to things that happened earlier in the book. This happens nearly ev
Kristen Coffin
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-anthony
"Warm-bodied creatures, notably the mammals, do dream. Why? Nature does not institute such procedures without reason. That reason is straightforward, though as yet generally unrecognized in science: the dreams represent important work being done. They relate to memory: a person deprived of dreaming suffers in the formation and retention of new memories."

The only reason I don't rate this with the 5 stars I rated Isle of Woman is because there the premise was new and exciting and here it's the sam
Jessica
It almost scares me how many Piers Anthony books I have read, and I've learned one thing while doing so; That the man has very interesting ideas, but tends to write tedious stories that all feel the same (protagonist men that an inordinate amount of women are inexplicably drawn to, female characters that are more like the idea of a person than an actual person, rape, and men faced with oversexed young girls who are weak). I really enjoyed the idea of mankind's story told through the experiences ...more
Thomas Quatrale
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the Geodyssey series, following Isle of Woman.
More of the same, following Mankind though pre history and history with different locales and some new characters who get reincarnated over and over, as we follow them though time. Truly a unique series, and worth a read on that basis alone. Sticks with the original theme that the same traits that allowed Man to be so successful are also the same traits that may now be leading to his ultimate destruction.
Patricia Lemieux
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the follow-on book to Isle of Women. Both cover thousands of years of history. From the historical standpoint they're very interesting to read how man progresses through the centuries. Some of his conjectures are based on archaeological research and are fascinating. These are not quick reads though, it took me almost three weeks to make it through 400 pages.
Ruth Soz
May 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I've never been a big fan of science fiction, but this is definitely an exception. Such an interesting concept. Spanning over millions of years, each book involves a theme and a single set of characters living life through several diffent time periods throughout world history. Although very entertaining and enjoyable, I found myself learning a bit too.
John Dixon
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's refreshing to see someone doing a project that they want to do for their own satisfaction. I enjoyed it, but you can see the seams sometimes. I couldn't always tell whether it was intentional or not. I will probably read the next one after a break.
Laura Floyd
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historic-fiction
Not as good as the first one, but still very enjoyable.
Karlheinz Kobras
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Again a nice way to teach history. Some events are covered and again always the "same" people are attending.
Jams
DNF---I loved the first book in this series so much. I am surprised that this book just isn't as interesting. It is repetitive and rather dirty.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
the shame of man is more environmentally lecturing, with out the gruesome cannibalism, it does explain the contradiction of man and his ideology of humanity.
Maggie
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
reread. huge slog this time-i wonder why I enjoyed it so as a teenager?
Eddie
Shelves: owned
Slow but informative.
Angela Ferrari
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good read. It was interesting that the same characters and situations were used in the different time frames throughout history. That was a nice touch
Kelly
Aug 29, 2011
Lonetta
Jan 17, 2013
  • Daughter of Kura: A Novel
  • Call Down the Stars (Storyteller Trilogy, #3)
  • The Merman's Children
  • In Other Worlds (Radix, #2)
  • Wolves of the Dawn
  • Priam's Lens
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • The Wood Boy / The Burning Man
  • We the Navigators
  • Class Struggle in the Ancient Greek World
  • Legends II: Dragon, Sword and King
  • The Grand Scheme
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • The Green Millennium
  • Again, Dangerous Visions 1
  • What Happened in History

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm

Geodyssey (5 books)
  • Isle of Woman (Geodyssey, #1)
  • Hope of Earth (Geodyssey, #3)
  • Muse of Art (Geodyssey, #4)
  • Climate of Change (Geodyssey, #5)