Start by marking “The Dance Of The Voodoo Handbag” as Want to Read:
The Dance Of The Voodoo Handbag

The Dance Of The Voodoo Handbag (Barking Mad Trilogy)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  669 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This is the story of Billy, whose Grandmother left him the "voodoo handbag" in her will, after he had sold her soul to science. The tales it tells Billy will change his life foreverand the lives of other people as well.
256 pages
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Dance Of The Voodoo Handbag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dance Of The Voodoo Handbag

D.L. Morrese
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story begins in an insane asylum, and it is mad all the way through.

This novel is a first person account with the author (or someone of the same name) as the main character. It also includes Voodoo gods, a Guardian Sprout (like an angel only vegetable based), and a madman bent on taking over the world. It is the second book in the “Completely Barking Mad” Trilogy, preceded by 'Sprout Mask Replica,' and followed by 'Waiting for Godalming.'

It’s hard to pick a genre for this book, let alone sum
Geoff Battle
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you've never read Rankin before then here's an easy, if not bizarre, novel to start with. It's a standard save the world from the madman affair, except it's from the viewpoint of a deluded schizophrenic, in a world populated by equally odd misfits. What strings this toegther is Rankin's off-the-wall (and at times hilarious) musings on our universe (no subject to large to tackle) and a clever mix of technology and religion (although not in much of a serious way, this is Rankin after all). As y ...more
M.G. Mason
Dance of the Voodoo Handbag follows very much in the nature of Robert Rankin's earlier work. Often that means it is lampooning an element of social culture at the time and integrating it into a bizarre and often amusing fantasy. In this case, having been written in 1998, I'm not entirely certain whether it is a parody of The Matrix or lampooning the Microsoft trial (knowing Rankin, probably both).

Necrosoft has finally achieved the possibility of human immortality by creating a virtual world in w
Andrew Lawston
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a late convert to Robert Rankin - I wasn't convinced by his apparently improvised style and rambling storyline. But then I met Rankin at a couple of conventions over the last couple of years, and I've come to look at his books at an extension of the man himself.

Dance of the Voodoo Handbag makes some of Rankin's other novels look positively coherent. Robert himself (though often in different personalities including private eye Lazlo Woodbine who's had 158 adventures in just four locations) is
Nathan Dehoff
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The follow-up to Sprout Mask Replica is more focused than its predecessor. Since it’s Rankin, it still isn’t THAT focused, but it does follow one basic plot. There’s a company called Necrosoft that has discovered how to download personalities onto the Internet, which turns out to also be the world of dreams and the mind of God. Rankin’s fictional self runs afoul of Billy Barnes, the ruthless second-in-command to Henry Doors, owner of Necrosoft. He finds himself trapped in the Necronet, with his ...more
Kris Russel
Very confusing! I know Robert Rankin's style and I usually like or appreciate it, but this was just over the top confusing. Half of the time I didn't know when we were or who the lead character was. Maybe it's like Twelve Monkeys. I need to watch (read) it a few more times to understand what's happening.
Kelly Foxhall
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of my favourite authors. Nothing is how it seems in a Robert Rankin book, they are the best material to read when you want to escape from the norm.
Mel
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor-modern
So... okay it wasn't that terrible but it was also like trying to read a Steven King novel through a kaleidoscope filled with bees. It got better near the end.
Paul Devall
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: robert-rankin
Although I have read all the Robert Rankin work to date, I prefer the older stuff.

RETURN TO BRENTFORD!!!!!
Simon Jones
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rankin at his best. A twisted plot that really doesn't make any sense (is the whole thing a "tall-story" being told to us by someone in a pub?) but then it's not really supposed to. Great fun.
Christopher Gillies
rated it it was ok
Sep 22, 2011
  • Djinn Rummy
  • The Flaxen Femme Fatale
  • Death's Domain A Discworld Mapp by Kidby, Paul ( Author ) ON May-01-1999, Paperback
  • Colony
  • Cursed and Consulted (Wiz, #3-4)
"When Robert Rankin embarked upon his writing career in the late 1970s, his ambition was to create an entirely new literary genre, which he named Far-Fetched Fiction. He reasoned that by doing this he could avoid competing with any other living author in any known genre and would be given his own special section in WH Smith."
(from Web Site Story)

Robert Rankin describes himself as a teller of tall
More about Robert Rankin...

Barking Mad Trilogy (3 books)
  • Sprout Mask Replica