Start by marking “A Winter Ballad” as Want to Read:
A Winter Ballad

A Winter Ballad

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  332 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Fans of Jo Beverley, Eloisa James, and Stephanie Laurens will love Barbara Samuel's passionate, intelligent romance novels.

A FAIR MAIDEN
Anya of Winterbourne had suffered nothing but humiliation at the hands of men. And yet when she found a fallen knight in a still winter forest, she could not leave him to die.

A NOBLE KNIGHT

Weary of battle and pursued by assassins, Christia
Published October 16th 1994 by HarperTorch (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about A Winter Ballad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Winter Ballad

Moonlight Reader
I needed a book with a knight as a character. Had this one on my kindle.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
The perfect historical romance novel. I don't know if it is historically accurate and I don't give a damn! The story was incredible, sweet & sad. The characters were perfectly imperfect. The sexual tension between Anya & Christian- wow! I'm writing nice short, choppy sentences because I want to get this review in before I put it off and forget to tell people how much I enjoyed this book! I'll write a better review later (ok, it might not be better but at least I'll put more thought into ...more
~Leslie~
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-nook
I love discovering new authors, and this book reminded me of why I love historical romance so much. Such a beautifully written story. The writing reflects the time period. And the author is able to evoke the time period so well. This is a true historical romance. The romance is at the center but there are historical details to flesh out the story. I loved the hero and heroine and their interactions never rang false or wrong to me. Just a lovely lovely book.
Shelley
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Winter Ballad was a surprisingly good read. I had never read anything by Barbara Samuel before but I liked her style in this book. I would definitely recommend it. The way she wrote about the corruption in the Catholic church at that period of time was so true. The church was so political and contained so much power. I liked how the author demonstrated in her writing that it was not God who is corrupt but man. It was scary how the word of one powerful churchman could call a person a heretic &a ...more
Julianna
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Medieval Historical Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
After barely reading any medieval romances for a very long time, I’ve inexplicably picked up three in the past month and a half, all of which have been excellent reads. The latest one was A Winter Ballad by a favorite author of mine, who I also coincidentally hadn’t read in years. I was reminded of all the reasons why I love Barbara Samuel’s writing. She knows how to create deeply emotional love stories that are equal parts sweet and sensual. In this one, an emotionally w
Amanda
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've never read anything by Barbara Samuels before and was extremely impressed by this book. The tension between Christian and Anya, the way they both fight against how they feel, yet are inevitably drawn together might seem like a predictable book. Maybe in some ways it is, but don't forget that most romances are. Samuels changes it from being an ordinary book only slightly, yet you'd think it was a completely different romance genre. I was surprised by how powerful the church was back then, fo ...more
Kimberly
May 31, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-ebook
Free on Amazon and couldn't pass it up :)
Marilyn
I liked this better than A Bed of Spices. There were a few weak points but overall, I enjoyed it. There is a mystery involved, too.
Darla
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book greatly. I liked both Anya's and Christian's characters; she was strong and determined, he was honorable and sexy. I like how they met and how the journey between them grew and strengthened as they got to know each other more. Anya wanted to properly care for her manor and the villagers outside it, and to get love from a man who'd deserved it. Christian just wanted peace and relaxation after spending the better part of his life not only fighting, but watching his back because ...more
Belinda
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Barbara Samuels' books and this one was exceptional. The whole book was entertaining, sensual, and intriguing. The characters were one honorable knight named Christian de Moreerx. He was found and rescued by the beautiful Anya of Winterbourne. She took the knight back to her family's keep to recover from a beating from bandits. Before long they became friends and then lovers. There is her brother who wants the lands for the church to increase his standing as priest. But Anya refuses her b ...more
Chandra
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GENRE:
SETTING: time of Knights

CENTRAL FEMALE CHARACTER: Anya of Winterbourne; a woman stuck with a responsibility; a take charge woman; businesslike; stubborn.

CENTRAL MALE CHARACTER: Christian; intelligent; gentle; humorous; dangerous when pushed.

SYNOPSIS: A badly injured knight and his dog and his memory is slow at bringing his problems from his past. She has problems in the present and in the midst of a dispute over the estate.

WHAT I LIKED: Cat and Remus the horse. Finding out what made Anya
Mary23nm
A Winter Ballad was a wonderful surprise. I have read Barbara Samuel books before, but this one didn't have that high of a rating so I didn't expect much. It had everything you could want in a great romance book: great hero and heroine, good plot, good supporting characters and HEA. I thought the ending should have answered the question about Lady Anya being accused of heresy, but overall a great read.
Danielle
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I felt he author conveyed well things that had happened in the characters' pasts and how it shaped their choices without making the reader feel like they were missing something or being hit over the head with it. I also felt she provided relatively accurate insights into the Church's power and the livelihoods of a range of social classes. The romance between the two main characters felt natural and well developed to me. I would recommend this historical romance.
Luisa Rivas
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Barbara Samuel's book when I read Lucien's Fall and now I'm searching for all her books to read. Her books are so romantic, the plots so very well defined, and she presents the historical customs of the period she sets her characters in. In this case, the period is medieval, when the Crusades where happening, and she presents a much accurate view of daily life and world politics than other authors.
Deb
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: barbara-samuel
First book I've read by this author, but I'll look for more. It's on my Kindle. Skirted real history but certainly had a good feel for life in the Middle Ages - very atmospheric. Honorable hero and capable heroine who must deal with frightening challenges from family and nasty religious figures and ignorant beliefs. Lovely love story.
Highland-dreamer
I enjoyed reading this story. I thought Anya was a great character. She was strong, without being overpowering. She balanced Christian well, and it was nice to see a male character depending so much on the strength of a woman. Overall a good historical read.
M Alexandra Gonsalves
Its a great love story Christian finds the woman of his hearts desire and Lady Anya is very strong independent woman.Who finds herself falling in love with this mysterious night.I enjoy reading Barbara Samuels Historical Romances.
Irishgirl1247
.99 nook book
I enjoyed the beginning but I started to lag a little past halfway through.
Mmeguillotine
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5
Aubrey
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super medieval, generally enjoyed the story, free DL from Kindle
Rachel
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly good historical novel. Enjoyable from start to finish.
Tammy Walton Grant
$0.99 on amazon
Kelly_Instalove
First impressions: This was like a scaled-down Pillars of the Earth but with more sex and less blood.
Bailey Bristol
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful chemistry between beautiful and heroic principal characters, couched in a remarkably crafted story and very real setting. I will be reading more of Barbara Samuel!
Mitzi
May 31, 2012 marked it as to-read
Free Kindle book May 31, 2012.
Tracyk
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wouldn't call it a BR but still quite a good read. Christian the hero could have been a bit more alpha.

Worth a read.
Cassandra
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really good historical romance!
Kelly
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story.
Barbara
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2011
A medieval story with a strong heroine, Anya and an even stronger hero Christian.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1; Lords of Conquest, #1)
  • Siren Song (Siren Song, #1)
  • Spring's Fury (The Graistan Chronicles, #3)
  • The Last Arrow (Robin Hood, #3)
  • A Knight's Vengeance (Knight's, #1)
  • A Knight to Remember (Blood Sword Legacy, #3.5)
  • Knight's Caress
  • My Lady Gisborne: A Gisborne Novel
  • Conquering Passion
  • Twin Passions (Captive Brides #1)
  • The Dark Lord (Titans, #1)
  • The Last Knight
  • A Knight's Honor
  • Wild Desire (Wild, #2)
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six
More about Barbara Samuel

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • Once Upon a Prince
    $9.99 $0.99
  • To Whisper Her Name (A Belle Meade Plantation Novel)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest (A Medieval Fairy Tale #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Best Man (Blue Heron #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The View from Rainshadow Bay (Lavender Tides #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)