Start by marking “The Giants and the Joneses” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  258 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
"All wet!" said Poppy.
"Yuk!" said Stephen. "Was that a kiss?"
Before Colette could answer, it was her turn. She was lifted up and brought toward the shining pink lips. She closed her eyes. The next second she felt a dampness all over her cheek and an explosion in her ear.
She dared herself to open her eyes, and caught a glimpse of a hairy nostril before she was lowered a
Published September 1st 2005 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Giants and the Joneses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Giants and the Joneses

Beth Kemp
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-fantasy
This is not a gentle bedtime story. Rather, it is an exciting adventure with violence (almost) worthy of the Grimms. I read it with my (then) 7 year old and there were gasps and tears in a couple of places, and I was a bit surprised at some of the peril the human children found themselves in as toys of the giant girl Jumbelia. This is not to say that it's inherently a problem, but it is perhaps better as a shared read for younger or more sensitive readers. To be honest, it's probably more of a s ...more
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
By Julia Donaldson

‘The Giants and the Joneses’ written by Julia Donaldson, focuses on the experience of three young children who are captured by a young girl giant, Jumbeelia. In the book there are two distinct worlds, the human world and the giant world. Throughout the book I was struck by a number of parallels to other famous stories that would be familiar to a young child such as ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ and the BFG, one of my previous book reviews.
A main theme of th
Shelby
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Katy Noyes
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wordplay abounds in an enjoyable story of giants and 'little people' - us!

After so many of her picture books, I was curious to see Julia Donaldson's skill at, not only prose, but a book for older children.

You are unlikely to recognise her trademark style here, a prose story about giants and humans, but the usual readability is there, and her way with words.

A young giant, Jumbeelia, believes her mother's stories about little people (iggly plops) and, as a collector, determines to go out and find
Lara Calleja
yes, kids stories should not be brimmed with realistic situations, but if its not the latter, there's magic, fantasy, wonder and/or adventures - all of which wrap up the notion of life with fantastic enchantment, without failing to be some kind of relevant parallel to reality.

this book gave me none from the above. Rather, found it pointless.
Thomas
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
It is an easy pleasure to spend a couple of hours in Donaldson's company. Her shorter, more familiar picture books are at the forefront of their genre and The Giants and the Joneses is a highly enjoyable novel for that difficult age group, the move from the Gruffalo to Narnia and beyond. She bridges the gap quite nicely with an action packed fairy tale twist story with plenty of real danger, light humour and fantasy silliness. Children familiar with Jack and the Beanstalk will get their kicks ou ...more
Andrea Gordon
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
When Jumbeelia throws a bimple (bean) over the edge of Groil, the land of giants, a bimplestonk (beanstalk) grows overnight. Jumbeelia descends on the bimplestonk to see if the iggly plops (humans) really do exist or a just a part of story as her mother insists. Jumbeelia not only discovers that iggly plops exist, she puts three of them in her collecting bag with an iggly blebber (sheep) and takes them back to her home in Groil.

Stephen, Collette and Poppy Jones are the humans (iggly plops) that
Michael Mccaul
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The giants and the Joneses is a modern progression of the Jack and the beanstalk fairytale. The story swaps point of view from initially following Jumbeelia, a young Giant girl who likes collecting things and exploring to her latest collection, a sibling trio of humans who are it seems, equally dysfunctional. Jumbeelia finds her family to be hard work, especially her younger brother who is away at boarding school. On an escapade down the beanstalk she encounters something fantastical, something ...more
Jackie
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Jumbeelia can't wait to climb down the bimplestonk (beanstalk) and find the iggly plops (little people) that crazy old Throg has spoken about so many times. Jumbeelia actually believes the story and KNOWS there are iggly plops down at the bottom of the bimplestonk. So...she climbs down and much to her surprise, there really are little people. She sees siblings Stephen, Collette, and Poppy Jones (and a sheep), and carries them home.

The kids are scared and are about to encounter all sorts of dange
Kate B
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
In the land of the Giants, no-one really believes that humans exist, apart from one old man obsessed with keeping watch for beanstalks appearing out of the mist. A little girl (who isn't that little because she is a giant, after all) reads and rereads the story of Jack and the Beanstalk, and one day decides to find out if there really are 'iggly plops' far below her world. From her point of view, she is adding to her collections of interesting things, in much the same way as a human child might ...more
Farrah Brown
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
We loved the new language in this book, learning what the giants called things like a sheep or grass or a frenchfry. It was certainly an exciting adventure but it did have moments that I thought were a bit violent or scary for my little guy. The older brother giant makes the "iggly plop" kids fight bees and giant worms and there's a scene where they almost drown in the bath tub.
But overall, it's a fun story that continues where Jack & the beanstalk leaves off. And it all turns out good in t
Kim B.
I'm not sure whether I liked this one or not. The giant kids were obnoxious, and I wasn't too fond of the human kids either. And the giant's language bothered me; it was silly and distracted me. I didn't really dislike it, though. I got through it quickly and it was cute. I heard mostly negative things about it, to be honest, so I was surprised that it wasn't ridiculously infantile, in the end. I suspect younger kids would like it a LOT more than I did, though. It was okay, but nothing to write ...more
Reader Girl
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: jf
I want to call it cute because it's an easy-to-read, short story about a fun topic. However, it's actually quite the adventure story and even scary in places. I love the use of giant language. It's amazing that the author could come up with such perfect words -- although they have no seeming relevance to English, they're mostly quite obvious in meaning (what else could a strimpchogger be than a lawn mower?).
Becky
May 21, 2012 rated it did not like it

My daughters and I hated this book. Three kids are kidnapped by a young giant who has a sadist Dudly Dursley-esqe big brother, and are essentially tortured for a month before barely escaping with their lives. It's horrifying. Plus, it doesn't resolve the humans' story. Where do their parents think they were for a month? Terrible.
Patricia
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"It won't happen unless I jump," she said to her pounding heart. And she jumped.

What a great book! My two children (ages 6 and 3) and I absolutely loved every minute. From beginning to end this book was filled with fun, thrills, and many beautifully incorporated lessons. Sad it had to end but so glad we got to enjoy it together.
carrie
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Taylor read this one at least ten times. I had to renew it all three times at the library, and then check it out again. A very cute book. The biggest plus for me was the giants' language, "groilish." It had a glossary at the back and everything. At the end of 3 months, Taylor was practically fluent!
MARGOT J.
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! I loved how Jumbeelia had a messy room just like me. They speak in "giant language", and I like how in their language a kitten is called a "spratkin". This is a fun story with good adventure, a twist on the classic "Jack and the Beanstalk", we see what it's like to be a giant!

My mom and I have read this book 3 times in 3 years...we both really like it!
Catherine Johnson
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the first middle grade book from Julia Donaldson I have read and it does not disappoint. With a made up language which is amazing some humans (called igglypops)climb up into the clouds into the realm of the giants. Lucky for them one giant takes them under her wing in her playhouse, but will she look after them? This is a delightful story that is truly imaginative and refreshing.
sarah
Jul 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fun Lovers
This is a great book for kids and their big people. It is sort of an upside-down Jack and the Beanstalk, and has a lovely giant's language called Groilish in it that was so fun to listen to. (We listened to this on CD, I recommend it!)
Cathlin
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 4th-or-5th-grade
cute twist on traditional giants and beanstalks. Is a great read aloud for context clues by figuring out the giant speak without using the dictionary in the back. I will definitely use this one in class this upcoming school year.
Anna
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I actually read this book to a bunch of lower elementary students, and they not only thoroughly loved the characters, but they loved learning and speaking the Groilish language that the giants use. All hail the iggly blebber!
Alissa 6th
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is about a girl giant who finds "iggly plops" little people. She keeps them as her "pets." How do these three kids escape? The giants even have their own language!
I loved this book! It's sure to be a "giant" hit!
Ülker Saruhan sönmez
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Aslında kitabı kızımı düşünerek almıştım internetten ancak çok erkenmis onun için. Bakalım nasıl bir şeymiş diye başladım okumaya, pek sevimli geldi. Hatta sevdim. Farklı bakış açılarından bakmayı da öğretilir çocuklara. Kötü görünen aslında çok güzel olabilir ya da tam tersi.
Katie
Jun 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is that kind of book that just makes you smile and feel so happy. The plot is so cute and innocent. I just love to read this, especially if I am having a day where I just am down or worn out. I also adore the cover.
Karyn The Pirate
Sep 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Not to judge a book by its cover. I thought this would be a very juvenile book but was surprised by some of the characters and their actions. It is definately meant to be for 4th to 6th grade readers.
Christy
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: corben, sylvie
Once we got past the constant use of made up words we really came to enjoy this cute story and in the end we were thankful to have learned the language of the giants as it was more important than we knew. This book is a fun read for children and tweens alike.
Naomi
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I read this with my 5-year old daughter, and she loved it! She really enjoyed the giant language, and still uses some of the words sometimes. We ended up reading it, and then listening to it on audio book as well.
Paige
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readalouds
Read this to my girls ages 5 and 8. They loved it and I loved reading it to them. We all felt like we were fluent in the giant's language by the end. I think that a few of the phrases will live on in our family as inside jokes. Delightful book.
Tamsyn
Oct 15, 2007 rated it liked it
This is one of those story reversals: in this case, the giant girl is brought up to wonder if humans -- those little people -- really exist. She wanders down the bean stalk and discovers a miniature world, and brings back some cute specimens, and they need to find a way to return home.
Cathy
A cute twist on Jack and the Beanstalk from a giant's point fo view.
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine: The Giants and the Joneses 3 13 Mar 03, 2014 12:09AM
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • The Bravest Squirrel in the Forest (The Bravest Squirrel, #2)
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Puppy Sister
  • Rescue Ferrets at Sea (The Ferret Chronicles, #2)
  • No Fighting, No Biting!
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
  • Old Mother West Wind
  • Five Little Speckled Frogs
  • Let's Play in the Forest While the Wolf Is Not Around!
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Stories from Around the World
  • "I Can't," Said the Ant
  • The Dragon of Doom (Moongobble and Me #1)
  • I'm Dirty!
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Uncle Wiggily's Story Book
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out Cho